Inventory and ordering lead times

1 hour ago, Rozz522 said:

Thanks nards, could you maybe help me understand, are you saying they don’t have allocation, or are you saying different dealers get stuff picked up quicker due to volume, etc? They swear they have the allocation. 

As you know 1100 just means GM says we got your order. Move to 2000 means you got a spot in line basically.  At 1100 its purely an allocation issue.

Now somethings to think about but dont take as gospel.  GM is only building crew cabs the last I heard, if you dont have a crew cab maybe this is the problem.  I would think even then you would be at 2000.

Also Ive been told there are two kinds of allocations  basically dealer allocation or lot stock, and customer order or sold orders,  the latter having priority.   My guess is they are probably waiting their turn for allocations.

Now dont take this as gold but I was told once that allocations arent as black and white.  There is a formula that determines allocation as well when they are picked up.  Was told allocations also tend to favor high volume dealers but not always.  The way it was explained to me is GM also wants its brand spread around,  so just because X city in cali has all the high volume dealers doesnt mean they will fill those only first and not send any to say the back 40 of minnesota. 

My dealer said that starting last December GM stopped taking sold orders separate from the dealer’s allocation. So the dealer does not get an additional allocation due to a sold order. That was confirmed by others earlier in this thread. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 6:36 PM, nards444 said:

As you know 1100 just means GM says we got your order. Move to 2000 means you got a spot in line basically.  At 1100 its purely an allocation issue.

Now somethings to think about but dont take as gospel.  GM is only building crew cabs the last I heard, if you dont have a crew cab maybe this is the problem.  I would think even then you would be at 2000.

Also Ive been told there are two kinds of allocations  basically dealer allocation or lot stock, and customer order or sold orders,  the latter having priority.   My guess is they are probably waiting their turn for allocations.

Now dont take this as gold but I was told once that allocations arent as black and white.  There is a formula that determines allocation as well when they are picked up.  Was told allocations also tend to favor high volume dealers but not always.  The way it was explained to me is GM also wants its brand spread around,  so just because X city in cali has all the high volume dealers doesnt mean they will fill those only first and not send any to say the back 40 of minnesota. 

Thanks nards, the whole thought of a weighted formula is sort of what I was thinking might be going on. They are a smaller dealer even by Maine standards so that may be my problem. I ordered a 2500 CCSB LTZ with Safety Package, Snow Plow Prep, and a few options like bedliner, floor mats, aux. battery, roof marker lamps and the trailer TPMS sensors so yes a CC and obviously nothing too elaborate. I guess the whole thing that bugs me the most is that they have been telling me for 3 weeks that they have allocation and that it is for my truck, yet this hasn't moved. I'm looking for other options and expanding my search area and if I find something, I'll be cancelling the order. 

6 minutes ago, Rozz522 said:

Thanks nards, the whole thought of a weighted formula is sort of what I was thinking might be going on. They are a smaller dealer even by Maine standards so that may be my problem. I ordered a 2500 CCSB LTZ with Safety Package, Snow Plow Prep, and a few options like bedliner, floor mats, aux. battery, roof marker lamps and the trailer TPMS sensors so yes a CC and obviously nothing too elaborate. I guess the whole thing that bugs me the most is that they have been telling me for 3 weeks that they have allocation and that it is for my truck, yet this hasn't moved. I'm looking for other options and expanding my search area and if I find something, I'll be cancelling the order. 

Yeah once you get between 2000 and 3000, then you run into constraints.   Hard spot to be in, go after something else to stay put.   Guess you could wait til Friday this week and kind of them the I am thinking about cancelling this order. 

1 minute ago, nards444 said:

Yeah once you get between 2000 and 3000, then you run into constraints.   Hard spot to be in, go after something else to stay put.   Guess you could wait til Friday this week and kind of them the I am thinking about cancelling this order. 

Yeah, exactly my thought. I'm looking around and calling on anything within driving distance of me but I told them, if it doesn't get picked up this week I'm likely moving on.

16 hours ago, CaptainMorganNC said:

Are you using the chat off of the main page?  All I can get it the automated chat, so I do not even get the chance to ask for a code.

Ask the chat a question after the automated routine. It’ll trip the system and connect you to an advisor. 

Make sure that you ask the advisor specifically for the event code. They will not volunteer it. 

I cannot recall where I found this.

1100 and Dealer Allocation

This causes a lot of issues. When you place an order with a dealer, the status is 1100. UNTIL Chevrolet ACCEPTS the order, it just sits there at 1100. You don't have an order with GM at this point. You only have a dealer requesting an allocation for a slot in the production schedule. Dealer Allocation is simple to understand - GM changed its model for producing vehicles a few years' back. Dealers are now awarded allocation based on past performance, as well as other factors. If you are sitting at 1100 you are not in line yet for production. Your dealer MUST get GM to accept the order. When GM accepts the order, all the parts are available and will be allocated to your car build.

First, many dealers do not understand the allocation process.

Second, dealers are told at the beginning of every model year the number of units they are expected to order. This is their Guide Number, so called because it is intended to help a dealer "floor plan."

Third, many dealers confuse Guide Number with Allocation.

Fourth, dealers are told every other Thursday how many Allocations (a portion of the Guide Number) they can use over the following two weeks AND this number of orders will be divided over two weeks.

To summarize, say the dealer is given 50 units as a Guide, which means about 1 unit every weekly ordering process from 2 units awarded in the every other week ordering process. If the dealer sells a dozen trucks every year, change the 50 to 12 and reduce the bi-weekly consensus to conform. By the way, this awkward system meets laws and demands of court decisions.

When will my car/truck ship?

You have better chances of picking winning lottery numbers than to know for sure when your vehicle will ship. When you combine the QC issues with geographical delivery of vehicles (at the lowest possible cost so they need to aggregate deliveries - and they don't not use a first in first out methodology), this can be the most frustrating part of the whole SRE journey. There is no transparency to actual data. There is just generic codes and sometimes the whisper from "someone in the know". Your vehicle may ship quickly, it may not. It will likely take longer the more rural you are and the lower the volume of cars your dealer sells.

3 hours ago, elcamino said:

I cannot recall where I found this.

Well said.  I would like to add that GM knows exactly where your truck is in the process 24/7..  The issue is they dont do a great job communicating that even to dealers.  In todays world you would think they would have something set up, but then again it cost money for that and in the end it doesnt make anything go faster or make you get a better truck. 

I work in logistics and often times people just dont understand, they dont understand why they hop in a plane and head to detroit from NYC to come back to Boston.  When you run a large system thats how efficiencies work.  Ive seen guys live 2 hrs from the factory and wait twice as long to get their car then a guy that live 3000 miles a way.  The reality is although it may be cheaper to ship that car 2 hours the planning and scheduling for the short distance is just as taxing as the long one.

These forums have been going on for decades.  and they great, and I know I was the guy that came in one time and had no clue how things worl. 

Well after 7 weeks of waiting my dealer notified me yesterday that my LTZ wasn’t getting picked up due to some new constraint. My option was to strip down my ordered truck and wait another 8-10 weeks or cancel the order and try to find something already built. I decided to move on and expand my range and budget. Thanks for everyone’s help throughout this process and best of luck to everyone on their orders.

• Like 1

I was talking with order manager/new car for local Chevy/GMC/Buick dealer (business acquaintance) yesterday and he was telling me right now they are taking what Chevy/GMC is telling them they can have.  Basically pattern trucks that GM builds for inventory and the only thing they can really specify is color and that's not a guarantee. 

Edited by elcamino