More aggessive tires- how much worse drive quality

Looking to change the tires on my 2020 Sierra Denali 1500. 

Usually have run Ridge Grapplers or Terra Grapplers on other trucks, but this truck drives like a dream, and wondering if changing to a tire like this will actually make a noticeable difference in drivability? The stock tires do run real nice, but look too much like a car tire for my liking..

Thanks

35 minutes ago, RPaul said:

Looking to change the tires on my 2020 Sierra Denali 1500. 

Usually have run Ridge Grapplers or Terra Grapplers on other trucks, but this truck drives like a dream, and wondering if changing to a tire like this will actually make a noticeable difference in drivability? The stock tires do run real nice, but look too much like a car tire for my liking..

Thanks

Ridden and driven in way too many trucks with aggressive tires. They are all harsh, noisy and ride like crap. If that's your style go for it. Not mine.

• Like 1

I went from the good for a year wranglers that came with my truck to BFG All-terrains. I love the traction but the fuel economy greatly suffered and it rides like a 2500 now but i'm okay with that. I didn't buy my truck for fuel economy or a SUV ride style for comfort. I would much rather have a tire that gives me a ton more traction than the highway tires can offer and I am fully satisfied with my BFG's.

• Like 1

So from the replies, i will suffer a noticable difference in ride quality.

Had always assumed the terra grappler or ridge grappler, although looking aggressive, were a middle of the road tread pattern.

If anyone has actually used those tires and made the switch id be glad for a reply.

I ran 305/45 Nitto TG's on my 22" wheels and noticed no difference in ride, but I did notice a bit more noise but it wasn't bad at all and was well worth it when it came to traction and appearance to me. 

I went more aggressive and switched from my factory Dueler RSW's to the significantly more aggressive Duratracs.  The Duratracs aren't anywhere near as quiet as my Bridgestone Duelers were, but the Duelers were possibly the best A/T tire I've ever owned and the only difference in ride "quality" between the two is the noise.  The Duratracs feel the same, ride the same, handle the same, and have far more traction off road, so much so that I was able to do trails in 2WD that required me to be in 4WD with the Duelers.

Since you asked specifically about ride quality, you need to be aware that when you go with a significantly more aggressive pattern you will generally find that you are now looking at an "E" rated tire.  Again, not always, but generally when dealing with the tire sizes that come on these trucks.  If you go with a slightly more aggressive pattern but also increase your tire size, even minimally on these trucks, you will likely be going into an "E" rated tire and your ride characteristics will change DRAMATICALLY.  "E" rated tires are much stiffer and more durable off road, but they will stiffen up your ride considerably unless you run low pressures in them, but even then their stiff sidewalls are definitely felt.  You can find LT and D rated tires with aggressive patterns, but you will have to look.

Good Luck!

So many variables. If you just want an A/T tire in the OEM size, I don't think its a big difference at all. But increasing size and load rating have a big effect on how the truck feels and handles. The tread pattern will affect the noise and mpgs more than anything else. I'm not a fan of choosing tires based on looks, but from what I read on here, that's what drives a lot of people's choices.

I love my OEM size Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s. Good traction in all conditions, but no noticeable loss in ride comfort or mpgs from the crappy street rubber GM gave me.

I went with Toyo Open Country AT3’s, stock size on stock 18’s and I think they ride more comfortable than the stock tires, look way better, aren’t much louder on the highway and excellent in the rain and snow. Oh and they look WAY better. 

14 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

I went with Toyo Open Country AT3’s, stock size on stock 18’s and I think they ride more comfortable than the stock tires, look way better, aren’t much louder on the highway and excellent in the rain and snow. Oh and they look WAY better. 

But, there's a difference.  If you read, the OP has a Denali which I surmise has 22's. Agressive 22's will ride like a Cat D9. Take my word.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

But, there's a difference.  If you read, the OP has a Denali which I surmise has 22's. Agressive 22's will ride like a Cat D9. Take my word.

Don't 'surmise'.

The standard rim on 1500 Denali is still a 20 -  275/60R20 all-season, blackwall on 2wd, 275/60R20SL all-terrain, blackwall on 4wd.

18's are not available on Denali (or mine would have bee ordered that way)

There is a 22" Denali only wheel. They use 275/50R22SL all-season, blackwall tires. 

3 hours ago, redwngr said:

Don't 'surmise'.

The standard rim on 1500 Denali is still a 20 -  275/60R20 all-season, blackwall on 2wd, 275/60R20SL all-terrain, blackwall on 4wd.

18's are not available on Denali (or mine would have bee ordered that way)

There is a 22" Denali only wheel. They use 275/50R22SL all-season, blackwall tires. 

That's why I said "surmise" as suspect.  As most SLT's come with 20's most Denalis have 22's. I'm very familiar with T1 22"s. Whatever wheel the OP has, it's not an 18" as to the post I was replying to and the point I was trying to make. We on the same page?

2 hours ago, Mercracing said:

I got some Bridgestone Dueler AT3s 265/70r18 for winter tires. I’ve had them on a few trucks, and they’re a great tire. I haven’t put the stock 22s on yet, but I don’t think these are loud at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to bfg km3, 35 12.50 20.  I run 34psi in them,  so far they wear ok but they do have noise but for an aggressive tire they aren't as bad as you would think. I just reached 7500 miles with them and can't complain at all, it did awesome in the 20 plus inches if snow we had