Active Fuel Management (AFM) and Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM) will not be available on certain 2021 model year Silverado 1500/Sierra 1500 pickups

13 minutes ago, lmentzel said:

And simplifying means they will probably last forever.. emoji1303.png

I agree 100%! Now add a $5.00 transmission dip stick and remove the motorized rear calipers and we would really have something to cheer about!

• Like 3

I want TFL or some other automotive magazine company to take a 2021 without DFM and a 2020 with DFM both 5.3L and 8 speed tranny because the article states that what will be used with the engines and do a fuel economy loop. I can bet it doesn’t make a bit of difference, if at all very minimal. 
When I tuned my 2018 Sierra SLT 6.2L with AFM, it got better FE and ran so much smoother. 
Next year with the new models coming out, a “man/woman” could be pretty tempted to buy one of these trucks without this feature. If it came with a 10 speed and a 6.2L. I think I would think really hard about a trade, Not much to worry about then. Just a good old fashioned small block V8 hooked up to that fantastic 10 speed. 
Now, if one could “affordably” tune it for about $1000 would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Hate on them when they give it to you.

Hate on them when they take it away. 

🤔

Nobody is complaining about them taking it away, their applauding it. 

If there is a complaint, it's that the 6.2 isn't included.

Edited by Daly
  • Like 3

Damn, wouldn’t you know it. If only gas prices weren’t going through the roof, I’d be first in line. It would be my dream trip vehicle. But in reality I’ll keep my Avalanche and my CRV trip vehicle. Maybe ifs there’s a change in four years. And common sense comes back, I’ll buy one used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

They should focus on cab pre-heaters and block heaters more.. plug into 120v in winter to pre-heat..

Warm up time is what kills my fuel usage in winter. Warm up for 15 - 20 min every time truck is cold eats fuel!

AFM is creating more problems than solutions when it comes to fuel usage. There is a difference but it is so minimal..

The “elephant” gas user is cold starting when you don’t park in a warm garage.

• SILVER SLED changed the title to No more afm or dfm for 5.3 w/6speed & 8speed for '21trucks

As is asked previously in this thread, I wonder if this means the engines will still be built with all of the AFM/DFM assembly pieces, but they will just live in the engine "deactivated"? 

If so, I would not be so entirely sure that the engines will become more "problem-free"? 

I've had my 5.3L with DFM for two years. I like it. It's fun getting 28mpg on a long road trip. And though they say the MPG difference - on average - is just 1mpg less, I doubt that in certain applications of cruise.