Active Fuel Management (AFM) and Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM) will not be available on certain 2021 model year Silverado 1500/Sierra 1500 pickups

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 8:05 PM, MS3DALE said:

PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN and an email address.

New here and can not sent PM, Been reading about the DFM, would you be able to run a build sheet on my 2021?

Thanks Steve

1 hour ago, WeGone said:

New here and can not sent PM, Been reading about the DFM, would you be able to run a build sheet on my 2021?

Thanks Steve

Yeah sure, I think you have to have so many posts before you can PM anyone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 9:59 AM, WeGone said:

Thanks Steve

Don't know if you already got the info, but ANY dealer can print the build sheet from the vin.

Should also be able to get GM social media to email it to you.

QR code has some of them, but is not all that are on the build sheet.

Lots' of phone apps available that can read the QR code.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading threads and articles on AFM - problems, performance, benefits etc and am leaning toward disabling AFM (NOT DELETE) and know about driving in L5 (mines a 2021 custom with 6 speed) to not engage cylinder deactivation.  I tried an experiment where I drove 10 miles on highway at 65 in L5 and cruise on and got 20.2mpg at 2000rpm. I then drove same stretch in Drive at 65 with cruise control on at 1500rpm. got same mpg of 20.2.  would have though there would be a difference. any ideas why not?

Explain the term "build sheet" for this newbie and what I can learn from it.  All I have is the window sticker from my new 21 Sierra.  Is the build sheet more than just the window sticker information?  My new truck does not have the fuel management systems according to the window sticker.  The truck was built in June 21.  I can upload the window sticker here if need be.

Build sheet is a list of all the factory options and components that were installed on the vehicle at the time it was built.   Its more detailed than a window sticker.  

mine...page 1 of 5

bs-1.jpg

Edited by elcamino

What is used by the assembly plants as instructions is similar to this but it varies by what dept (trim, chassis, marriage etc) in the assembly process the vehicle is going through.  These rarely leave the plant anymore, its trash once built..

factory broadcast sheet from years back, for a vette I think. 

spacer.png

Edited by elcamino

On 3/15/2021 at 9:07 AM, MS3DALE said:

For those that do not like AFM/DFM, You will be able to buy certain 2021's without it....

2021 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 pickups

As promised, we want to continue to keep you in the loop regarding the global, industry-wide shortage of semiconductors.  Today, due to this shortage, we are announcing a new change to select light duty full-size pickup powertrains.  Active Fuel Management (AFM) and Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM) will not be available on certain 2021 model year Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 pickups.  By taking this measure, it will enable continued production and delivery of inventory to help respond to the strong customer and dealer demand for our full-size pickup models as the industry continues to rebound and strengthen.

L82 - 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 w/6-speed Automatic Transmission (MYC) & L84 - 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 w/8-speed Automatic Transmission (MQE) (only):

For orders with a scheduled production date on or after March 15, 2021, GM will build most L82 engines on 1500 pickups without AFM (refer to the updated Order Guide and table below for trim details).  Similarly, for orders with a scheduled production date on or after March 29, 2021, GM will build most L84 engines on 1500 pickups without DFM (refer to the updated Order Guide and the table below for trim details).   Any sold orders of these affected pickups which have not been entered in the Production Order Management and Scheduling system by March 16, 2021 will be built without AFM or DFM.  The dealer has the responsibility to and must advise affected sold order customers immediately.

Pickups with 5.3L V8s which are built without AFM or DFM, as applicable, will include a new RPO code added by General Motors: “YK9 – Not Equipped with Active Fuel Management" or “YK9 - Not Equipped with Dynamic Fuel Management". This RPO code will be reflected on the Dealer Invoice along with an associated $50 MSRP credit.  The Monroney label will include this credit and indicate that the vehicle was built without AFM or DFM.  These 2021 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 pickups which are built without AFM or DFM, will also receive revised EPA certified fuel economy estimates.  Chevrolet and GMC are updating all consumer and dealer facing communications as appropriate.  In addition, dealers are strongly urged to counsel directly with all customers who purchase affected vehicles to ensure each customer understands its vehicle content and fuel economy.  This change to the availability of AFM and DFM on the 5.3L V8 is currently expected to remain in place for the remainder of the 2021MY.  A listing of affected trims is listed below and is subject to change by General Motors:

I recently purchased a 2021 RST with a 6.2 L 10spd.  How do I verify if it has AFM/DFM or not?  I don't see any display of deactivated cylinders on the drivers displays.  I've read that certain engines were not equipped with AFM/DDM due to chip shortages, wondering if mine is missing that component or not.  Thanks.