Craziest Priced Item at Stealership?

I thought you were going to say the craziest priced item was a Yukon XL Denali.

I bought a house with a 3 car garage in 2008 for what they ask for those boats now.

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dealers selling tires. I asked their prices for grins. In my town within a 5 mile radius. There’s 3 discount tires, Firestone, Sams, and a Walmart. Car dealership can’t get close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked in auto parts, and often supplied the dealerships near me. I'd make a weekly run to do inevitable checks and replenishment at dealers. I have a good idea what the actual cost of parts are versus what the markup is. I'll give you a clue. There's no way in hell your going to be able to buy the parts as cheaply as the dealer is. On top of that, the dealer marks up the part 70% gross so they can bet 40% profit. Most parts retail businesses will mark the product 30%-40% to make a sufficient profit. Imo, "stealership" is the correct term.

As an example, look at the GM Performance CAI. It's made by K&N. The difference is, GM has a tune with theirs that makes it 50 state compliant. GM says the air filter needs to be replaced every 20k miles. K&N says their filter will last 1 million miles with proper care and cleaning. Cost for the filter alone with K&N is $59.99. I found it on Rock Auto for $46.79 by using GM part 84428120 (also cross reference to AC Delco A5000C). Cost of the filter through a dealership is $117.87 (list price, which they love to charge). Anything smell funny to you on this one?

Link for Rock Auto listing: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/acdelco,A5000C,vapor+canister+filter,5000

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 12:02 PM, 2020SilveradoCC said:

We run a business, too. We aren’t stupid. However, $55 for an air filter is robbery. I get that GM controls the price. And charging that much for labor on a two minute install is laughable. Didn’t mean for it to be taken so personal, just wanted a quick laugh at an extremely high priced item for a two min install. 

GM does pay for warranty work.. at least according to my dealership, they do.

You still don't get it.  The dealership has a labor rate, which they are probably charging 1/2-hour for this replacement.  But that covers the cost of the service rep who sells the repair, the guy who drives your truck into the shop, the service tech who makes the repair.  It also covers that cost of that paper and plastic they put on the seat and floor.  All this is in addition to maintaining a profit and keeping the lights on.

You have the ability to do it yourself (as do I), but a lot of people don't, won't, or wouldn't know where to start.

Imagine going to a restaurant and buying a cheese burger for $14 when you can make one at home for about $3 - $4.

• Like 1

I was replacing my broken water pump (2018, 45k miles mind you...seems early for a failed baring, but you know, the factory parts are top notch 😏). Anyway, getting one of the bolts out, it broke off. In the housing. Tried drilling and taping, but that made a mess. So I needed a new housing. Not something they carry at Autozone or Napa.

Online: $176, 7d delivery at best. 

Local Chevy dealer: $400 + tax

Its a Sat, and my truck is not going to run without water....so...

Price I am willing to pay: "lots"

I am *not* glad the dealer wanted $400, but they were open on a Sat, paying the salary of a parts counter guy. They had the part, and probably thousands of other specialty parts for my truck in the back ready to go. I got a free bottle of water, and nice hello from the receptionist, a friendly reminder that it would have been covered by my extended warrantee if I had not attempted the work myself; And, a nice new C8 to sit in while I waited for him to dig it up from the back.

I get that it feels like a rip off, but given that it got my truck back up and running faster than mail order would have, with above average knowledge and service compared to my local Autozone, its a price I accept as part of capitalism. 

They wanted $100 the other day to change my cabin filter. I passed on helping them out that much with their profit margin.