In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Received the standard “our technicians recommend replacing you cabin air filter, so I can get that swapped for you for $55(!!).” Definitely said no and purchased one off Amazon for $9.. but wow do they have some good markups.

Dealer isn't paying $9 for the part to begin with.  List price is $28.84 and dealer is making all of $10-12 on the filter.  The rest of that $55 minus the part is the labor they are charging.

I'm all for DIY, but people always seem to overlook that most all GM dealers have to buy from GM at whatever GM charges them to meet certain performance and stocking criteria.  And they have hundreds of thousands if not a million+ in inventory, techs and service writers to pay, lights to keep on, inventory for the lot, etc. 

Right away its "look what the stealership wants to charge me!"

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, newdude said:

Dealer isn't paying $9 for the part to begin with.  List price is $28.84 and dealer is making all of $10-12 on the filter.  The rest of that $55 minus the part is the labor they are charging.

I'm all for DIY, but people always seem to overlook that most all GM dealers have to buy from GM at whatever GM charges them to meet certain performance and stocking criteria.  And they have hundreds of thousands if not a million+ in inventory, techs and service writers to pay, lights to keep on, inventory for the lot, etc. 

What passes for public education is more suited to teaching Golf & AIDS awareness than economics and finance. 😉 

Just consider how many on this site alone are driving a late model vehicle yet can't even afford a full tank of fuel.

Edited by It's Tim
  • Like 1

Low Jack for sure. Costs about 200-300 bucks but dealers are charging 1000-1500 

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, newdude said:

We run a business, too. We aren’t stupid. However, $55 for an air filter is robbery. I get that GM controls the price. And charging that much for labor on a two minute install is laughable. Didn’t mean for it to be taken so personal, just wanted a quick laugh at an extremely high priced item for a two min install. 

GM does pay for warranty work.. at least according to my dealership, they do.

Edited by 2020SilveradoCC

The dealership I got mine at installs the Pulse flashing brake light system on all of their vehicles, then attempt to charge $899.99 to the customer because it is an installed add-on! Needless to say, I did not pay for that for my vehicle, told them I didn't ask for it to be installed and if you don't want to remove it, then that is at your cost not mine. 

Pulse-Rear-End-Collision-Avoidance.jpg

37 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

What passes for public education is more suited to teaching Golf & AIDS awareness than economics and finance. 😉 

Just consider how many on this site alone are driving a late model vehicle yet can't even afford a full tank of fuel.

Nowhere did it say that we didn’t know that GM charges their own prices LOL. Take your golf and AIDS somewhere else 😂. You can skew the conversation however you’d like LOL, but this is just a funny topic and is meant for a joke.

7 minutes ago, Bluerado49 said:

The dealership I got mine at installs the Pulse flashing brake light system on all of their vehicles, then attempt to charge $899.99 to the customer because it is an installed add-on! Needless to say, I did not pay for that for my vehicle, told them I didn't ask for it to be installed and if you don't want to remove it, then that is at your cost not mine. 

$900?! Wow!

Interior protection plan for $500.....nope.  I literally saw the discarded 3M Scotchguard cans in the prep bay as I walked to get to my vehicle.

Salesman said it was mandatory to etch the VIN on all the windows for "theft protection."  Price?  $800.  This was on a $12,000 base Pontiac Wave (Chevy Aveo twin.)

Funny enough, it was no longer mandatory as we were walking out the door.

1 hour ago, Bluerado49 said:

yeah, my truck had one of those things installed when I bought it, prevented the 3rd brake light from working at all. what remains of it is still sitting on my desk after I gutted it to see what was inside.

that company is shady in my opinion, I went to their web site to try to find information on how to install the part to see if it was just installed incorrectly, they won't even tell you how to install it! It just says go see a dealer.

I was curious about what was inside it since I build my own a few years back with one particular design criteria: to build is such that if it ever failed, it would fail back to 3rd brake light operating like stock to make sure that a failure of the device would not stop the brake light from working altogether, something which their web site also brags their product does...no...it does not.

1 hour ago, 2020SilveradoCC said:

$900?! Wow!

it doesn't even have a microprocessor in it! its a single PCB inside a rubbery casing with a counter circuit, a few supporting semiconductors and a transistor...$5 maybe, probably less with mass production. they even solder the wires directly to the PCB, even sparing the expense of a connector to make disconnecting the POS easier.