That Truck was AMAZING, but...

Test drove a 2021 GMC 2500 HD SLT yesterday.  Mostly so I could say I did it, before I ordered a RAM.

I've been fixating on RAM hitherto.  Researching for weeks, watching JB Reviews on Youtube and  just test drove the 2500 and 3500 Laramie cummins the day before.

To my pleasant surprise the GMC kicked RAM's butt ( in my mind ) in every single respect - well except one (please standby) - and I didn't expect to feel that way.  Looking at pictures on line I felt the interior of the GMC would disappoint, but I actually liked it way better that RAM too.

I could go on and on about all that I loved about the GMC I drove but let me get to the point.

THE BACK SEATS ARE AN UTTER DEAL BREAKER.  My teenage kids started complaining they weren't comfortable about 10 minutes into the test drive.   Something they never did in the RAM.  Hmm.  Ok I said to my wife. You drive, I'm going to sit in the back.  Oh yeah, in 2 seconds I could feel what they were talking about.  Then I realized the STORAGE compartments built into the lumbar area.  Sorry, this is a very bad idea, and it was 100% the source of the discomfort.  Now I'm sure some will tell me, it's a Truck man!  Or it's just  a back seat etc.  But I have to disagree.  This cabin is huge... like minivan size huge 😉  And so it should be comfortable front and back.  

This is my question for you guys.  Is there any creative way to buy a 2021 GMC 2500 HD SLT or Denali (leather is a must) and somehow get a backseat without the lumbar storage compartments?  Would GMC do something like that on a special order?  The dealership manager didn't seem to think it was possible, but I don't take any one man's word.  Did the 2019 have those compartments?  If not, could a guy source a backseat from an older that would match a new and swap out?  

Any ideas?

Thanks for your patience in helping me with such an eccentric idea.

Edited by vinny canalie

Toss in a couple throw pillows? I believe all come with storage underneath but it is too low and should not be making a difference. If you're going to let your kids tell you what to buy, that's your prerogative.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Toss in a couple throw pillows? I believe all come with storage underneath but it is too low and should not be making a difference. If you're going to let your kids tell you what to buy, that's your prerogative.

We will be towing and traveling 8 - 10 hour days.  I want them to be comfortable.  No it's not too low, it was an issue for all 4 of us.  Granted it may not be an issue for you or most people. 

You've answered your own question. You can source a rear seat without the storage compartments from an auto dismantler and swap them out if that is your only concern. You may have to get creative with matching the seat covers.

I would take a ride in the back seat of a truck without the storage compartments first just to make sure.

Some might think it crazy but there are plenty of folks that drop 3-4 grand on tires, wheels, and suspension after purchasing a brand new truck. Interior comfort would be higher on my list.

Edited by Enough
spelling
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

But he's talking about lumbar storage so what does underneath storage have to do with anything?  And Vinny, you may have better luck posting this in the 2500 section. This is the 1500 section. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Enough said:

You've answered your own question. You can source a rear seat without the storage compartments from an auto dismantler and swap them out if that is your only concern. You may have to get creative with matching the seat covers.

I would take a ride in the back seat of a truck without the storage compartments first just to make sure.

Some might think it crazy but there are plenty of folks that drop 3-4 grand on tires, wheels, and suspension after purchasing a brand new truck. Interior comfort would be higher on my list.

Smart idea about riding in one without the compartments; I definitely need to do that first.

On 4/18/2021 at 11:07 AM, mafd2 said:

But he's talking about lumbar storage so what does underneath storage have to do with anything?  And Vinny, you may have better luck posting this in the 2500 section. This is the 1500 section. 

Aren't the seats the same? (on 15/25/35)

Edited by redwngr

There’s going to be no way to do this with factory parts and have a match. All factory leather back seats have the storage compartments in the seat backs.

The only non-storage seat backs are cloth. Also of note, the non-storage seatbacks do not have the fold down arm rest either.

27 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

There’s going to be no way to do this with factory parts and have a match. All factory leather back seats have the storage compartments in the seat backs.

The only non-storage seat backs are cloth. Also of note, the non-storage seatbacks do not have the fold down arm rest either.

A set of Katzkins can tackle that obstacle. 

54 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Double cab rear seats do not have the storage in the seat back. I don't know if they are interchangeable with crew cab seats or not. I have a double cab with leather.