DRL headlight turning blue

On 10/1/2021 at 10:45 PM, 2021 Sierra X31 said:

You might be on to something... it’s really strange that they are failing so quickly. And the fact that it’s only driver’s side on the majority of these trucks points to something also. 

In any case, I’m planning on writing a letter to corporate. This is my first GMC. I’ve had a great experience thus far and really like the truck, however, they’ve got an issue here and I refuse to just accept that it won’t ever be corrected. GM needs to get their top engineers fully engaged with this issue and get to the bottom of it. 

On 10/4/2021 at 10:40 AM, 2021 Sierra X31 said:

In any case, I’m planning on writing a letter to corporate. This is my first GMC. I’ve had a great experience thus far and really like the truck, however, they’ve got an issue here and I refuse to just accept that it won’t ever be corrected. GM needs to get their top engineers fully engaged with this issue and get to the bottom of it. 

Writing a letter to corporate?  Really?  Over a minor color change on a light?  You need to spend a little time in the problems and troubleshooting section to gain a little perspective.

Regardless, I imagine these headlights are $1500 to $2000 a pop plus labor to replace.  If a large enough of them start to be replaced under warranty you can be assured that the bean counters at GM will take notice and get to the bottom of it.

17 hours ago, TxTruckMan said:

Writing a letter to corporate?  Really?  Over a minor color change on a light?  You need to spend a little time in the problems and troubleshooting section to gain a little perspective.

Regardless, I imagine these headlights are $1500 to $2000 a pop plus labor to replace.  If a large enough of them start to be replaced under warranty you can be assured that the bean counters at GM will take notice and get to the bottom of it.

I understand it’s trivial in the grand scheme. It’s more principle. It’s something GM hasn’t seemed to figure out... or care enough to issue a bulletin yet. Seeing as how this is a very prevalent defect, GM needs to take some action. Also, my frustration is taking off work, taking the time to get it scheduled, the entire day to get it replaced, and 4 days later it’s back to screwed up. Yes, I’m OCD and it bothers me more than most, I’m sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my 21 trail boss LT which was manufactured in August 21. Drivers side DRL was purple since day one. The strange thing is that when the actual headlights were on the purple tint went away on the DRL. took it to the dealer (Serra Chevy nashville) and they gave me no issues about it at all. They admitted they saw it and that it wasn’t right and they replaced the whole assembly the very next day. It’s bright white like the passenger side now. Hope it stays that way. Now I just hope I don’t bend any lifters lol. 

9 hours ago, Nashvillechevy said:

I just bought my 21 trail boss LT which was manufactured in August 21. Drivers side DRL was purple since day one. The strange thing is that when the actual headlights were on the purple tint went away on the DRL. took it to the dealer (Serra Chevy nashville) and they gave me no issues about it at all. They admitted they saw it and that it wasn’t right and they replaced the whole assembly the very next day. It’s bright white like the passenger side now. Hope it stays that way. Now I just hope I don’t bend any lifters lol. 

Glad they got yours fixed and didn’t hassle you. Hopefully it lasts! BTW: Mine is the same way, with the headlights on, I don’t see any purple with the surround. Someone else mentioned that the surround dims when the headlights are on, but I don’t understand why that would have an impact on the color. Who knows. 

On 7/13/2021 at 11:16 AM, American Cobra said:

I have a 21 Trailboss, and I have noticed this as well. I saw it in a reflection as I was parking, otherwise I probably wouldn't have seen it. 

However, it does appear the one blueish color light has returned to its original bright white as I type this.  Not sure how/why, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

I have the same truck as you and my drivers side is turning blue/purple, seems to only happen when the truck has warmed up a bit.

Also have mentioned it to the dealership twice... (first time they "couldn't mimic what I was talking about". Second time shop foreman told me "it's the angle your looking at it, LEDs change colors at different angles...")

I guess every angle is the wrong angle but only on the drivers side.

2 hours ago, MailedFoot said:

I have the same truck as you and my drivers side is turning blue/purple, seems to only happen when the truck has warmed up a bit.

Also have mentioned it to the dealership twice... (first time they "couldn't mimic what I was talking about". Second time shop foreman told me "it's the angle your looking at it, LEDs change colors at different angles...")

They are playing dumb and hoping you take the bait. Take it to another dealer. Get second opinion. Most I’ve talked to have had zero issues getting GM to admit it’s faulty and order replacement. 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:23 PM, Nashvillechevy said:

Following back up. Your light still white like it should be?

On 10/22/2021 at 8:33 AM, 2021 Sierra X31 said:

Glad they got yours fixed and didn’t hassle you. Hopefully it lasts! BTW: Mine is the same way, with the headlights on, I don’t see any purple with the surround. Someone else mentioned that the surround dims when the headlights are on, but I don’t understand why that would have an impact on the color. Who knows. 

I was figuring there may be some over compensation occuring to the circuit before the headlights are turned on.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Dj2sS1bHEsugMt5B6

On 10/28/2021 at 7:50 AM, MailedFoot said:

This is exactly how mine behaves also.  Driver side - only goes blue/purple after driving it for a while.  I haven't taken it into the shop and will probably just live with it unless it gets worse.  Super annoying.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 1:26 PM, American Cobra said:

This is exactly how mine behaves also.  Driver side - only goes blue/purple after driving it for a while.  I haven't taken it into the shop and will probably just live with it unless it gets worse.  Super annoying.

Me too.  Not worried about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my truck in today for a leaking rear window and when they said is there anything else, I mentioned the headlight and I just got a call that they ordered a new light for me. 

I had noticed mine turned a bit blue in some lighting and angles but planned to live with it until the truck was at the dealer already.  I will let everyone know if this turns blue over time as well.

4 hours ago, at4carbonpro said:

I had my truck in today for a leaking rear window and when they said is there anything else, I mentioned the headlight and I just got a call that they ordered a new light for me. 

I had noticed mine turned a bit blue in some lighting and angles but planned to live with it until the truck was at the dealer already.  I will let everyone know if this turns blue over time as well.

10-4. Let us know. I’m just living with mine as I have no other choice now.