DRL headlight turning blue

There are a lot of post about the DRL turning blue on FB groups. I didn't see any post on the forum so thought I would start one so everyone could share if they are having same problem.

I have 2020 AT4 with 22K miles. Just had dealer replace both headlights because of them turning blue.

front headlight.jpg

front headlight 2.jpg

12 minutes ago, 1badc5 said:

There are a lot of post about the DRL turning blue on FB groups. I didn't see any post on the forum so thought I would start one so everyone could share if they are having same problem.

I have 2020 AT4 with 22K miles. Just had dealer replace both headlights because of them turning blue.

front headlight.jpg

front headlight 2.jpg

Strange, haven't heard of this.  Is it only the GMCs?  Or are silverados also impacted?

On 4/28/2021 at 3:13 PM, 1badc5 said:

front headlight.jpg

front headlight 2.jpg

1badc5... not sure what the chances are, but I just posted this same topic on another thread yesterday... see link to my post below. I have the exact same problem. My truck only has 6k miles and the drivers side DRL turned purplish blue at top only. I took it to GM already, they acknowledged it. However, I didn’t have time to leave it. I’ll be taking it back in the next few weeks to have them look again. Good to know your dealer replaced them with no issue. This is frustrating for sure. 

Seems like this slope is about to get slippery.  

I kinda hope someone gets to keep the old and is willing to tear it down or send to someone that will.  Would be interested to see what the cause is

8 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

Seems like this slope is about to get slippery.  

I kinda hope someone gets to keep the old and is willing to tear it down or send to someone that will.  Would be interested to see what the cause is

I’ll ask, but I’m sure GM will say they have to send the defective unit back to GM corporate. They need to figure out what’s going on and quit building units that are failing. It’s gonna suck once we get out of warranty and we are stuck with purple DRLs... or spend $1200 per lamp to replace them. I think I’ve seen maybe one Silverado on the road with a purple DRL. I’ve seen a few Sierra’s with the issue. I guess it’s not super prevalent. 

1 hour ago, lapoolboy said:

Seems like a UV issue since it's only on the top edge.  Curious, are these trucks parked outside?

Yes, mine is parked outside all day. Too damn big to fit in my garage 😆. Not sure about UV. Only my drivers side has turned purple. Seems like something with the actual LEDs are failing. I read some article a while back about how all LEDs emit a blue color... and they apply a phosphor to change the light to white. If that’s the case, seems that the phosphor is failing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to hear, seems this is a very common issue. As an update: I just took mine in finally last week. The dealership looked at it and said they would order a new headlight unit. Something like $1500 for just drivers side. Hopefully it arrives this week and I can get it installed. 

12 minutes ago, GTPprix said:

Same issue on our 2020 Denali drivers side headlamp only on the top area; super odd but yes it’s led failure.

My concern is that it’s likely that GM hasn’t remedied the issue in manufacturing and that we are going to keep having this problem even after the units are replaced and then once the truck is out of warranty, we are stuck. Or out of pocket a lot of money. Based on the newest trucks (built in 2021) still having this issue, I’m not very confident. 

2 hours ago, 2021 Sierra X31 said:

Sorry to hear, seems this is a very common issue. As an update: I just took mine in finally last week. The dealership looked at it and said they would order a new headlight unit. Something like $1500 for just drivers side. Hopefully it arrives this week and I can get it installed. 

These posts always crack me up, 3 people here have it, 3... A few people with the issue or a small handful all of a sudden it is labeled as common issue that almost every truck has when it is probably a 0.000X% of people that actually have had the issue. Lets not make it something it isn't, people did that with the AFM failures and valve coking to name a few; made it out to be some common issue when very few even on the forums had it where most people go just to complain.

Tyler

• Like 1

I have a 21 Trailboss, and I have noticed this as well. I saw it in a reflection as I was parking, otherwise I probably wouldn't have seen it. 

However, it does appear the one blueish color light has returned to its original bright white as I type this.  Not sure how/why, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.