So I picked up my new 2021 elevation on Friday, was looking around at home yesterday checking things out and looked at gas door.  Inside is an odd looking black fuel cap like I've never seen before.  It doesn't twist off it is simply pulled off/pushed on.  Is this something that's infact supposed to be there or possibly should have been removed prior to delivery?  It has a plastic line attachment that hooks to the fuel door so that kinda is whats throwing me for a loop making me unsure if its supposed to be there or not.

20210501_150913.jpg

Edited by Chris Palfenier

I sure would like to know the part number. I hate not having one. Can’t believe GM  would build an “off road” truck without one. I put a cap from a spray paint can over mine to help keep dirt out. 

16 minutes ago, Gray Fox said:

I sure would like to know the part number. I hate not having one. Can’t believe GM  would build an “off road” truck without one. I put a cap from a spray paint can over mine to help keep dirt out. 

Good call, I thought about hacking it off if its supposed to be capless but I do so much gravel driving maybe I should just keep it on.

Edited by Chris Palfenier

6 hours ago, Gray Fox said:

There's 2 doors. Once nozzle opens the first door it has to open the 2nd door. That's why you can't use a gas can. You need the special included funnel/nozzle if you're pouring from a can.  Dirt getting isn't a problem.

Edited by mafd2

I bought the locking one myself just to keep dirt and water out. And if GM is now including a rubber cover, my guess is lots of issues with dirt getting in the tank. 
It has never made sense to me. How hard is it twist a gas cap on and off. 
And unlike the capless fill system on our Ford explorer that has a gasket sealed door and rubber insert, these trucks have gaps and holes to let dirt and water in. 
As always I am sure it works great in California......

1 hour ago, mafd2 said:

There's 2 doors. Once nozzle opens the first door it has to open the 2nd door. That's why you can't use a gas can. You need the special included funnel/nozzle if you're pouring from a can.  Dirt getting isn't a problem.

The dirt on the first door falls on the second door then in the tank when they are opened. That is the way gravity works. 

53 minutes ago, Gray Fox said:

The dirt on the first door falls on the second door then in the tank when they are opened. That is the way gravity works. 

How often do you see dirt on the first nozzle door? The outside fuel door does a good job of keeping the heavy stuff out. Do you ever put fuel if you see dirt on the nozzle door? If there's a little dirt it won't fall on the 2nd door because the 2nd nozzle door isn't directly under the first nozzle door.  It's at about a 30° angle and several inches away. So, if there's any dirt on the first nozzle door, it will go straight down and not 30° forward several inches.  That's how gravity works. If, and if dirt gets through the 2nd door, that's what fuel filters are for.  You'll have more trash from the fuel getting in the tank than dirt getting through the 2nd nozzle door.

4 hours ago, GN2018 said:

I bought this for my 2018 and it works fine on my 2021.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-2-in-PVC-DWV-Flexible-Cap-PQC-102/100372303

I took the clamp off and just use the rubber cap.  Maybe the engineers know what they’re doing, but I like a cap over the opening.

I bought the same thing (from Lowes).  It is a perfect fit.

And yes, there is usually dirt, dust (or rain water) on it when I pull it off to fill up.

I just set it to the side of the fill neck while pumping... or sometimes use it to hold open the filler handle at a station that cut the little handle latches off.