DFM longevity

It seems like several DFM motors 5.3 and 6.2 are failing lifters. ive seen on the forums and a few on YouTube. Really early on with low miles.. I thought GM fixed all the AFM issues with DFM..  Was wondering if people really think these motors will last 200k miles plus??? I’m at 38k miles and only issue I’ve had was the tranny clunking 2-1 that was fixed from a update. Currently have the range installed its a 2019  5.3 8 speed z71.... but worried if that will really avoid lifter failure..  Don’t want to deal with lifter issues after warranty. . I Change the motor oil every 5k to do my part I guess. But still worried if my motor will last in the long run. Considering  trading it in while it’s worth more then I owe.  Are 6.2 DFM more susceptible to lifter failure over 5.3? DFM  are the 2019’s nor reliable the. The 2021’s I heard first year models are usually the worst. But I’ve been seeing a lot of 21’ failing lifters

Edited by 11bravoZ71
More info

5 minutes ago, Fuelie said:

I have 92,000 miles on my 19 6.2. Zero problems to date.

Tom

Now That’s what I like to hear high mileage DFM’s... thanks for the reply. do you have the range module to disable DFM Or stock?  If you don’t mind me asking.. 

It is no less reliable than a normal engine, what you are hearing is a few stories on the internet getting blown up. Reality is it is a tiny decimal of a fraction that have failures (outside of a bad batch of valve springs) and most never have an issue. Drive it, enjoy it and take care of it with maintenance and it should last you a long time. Of the few we have had with AFM all have gone over 100k or more without issue. I even had a buddy on his bone stock Tahoe go nearly 300k with AFM and no issues or oil consumption and DFM should have learned from any short comings of AFM and improved on it. 

Tyler

• Thanks 2

Close to 600,000 Silverados are sold per year........the vast majority being the 5.3/6.2

Hearing a few failures is nothing to get overly worked up about......enjoy your truck and stop worrying about "what-ifs". 

What is the percentage of failure? 

To be blunt, if you don't know definitively, then it's a waste to worry about and based solely on internet hype.

Edited by BigMick2020
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amcguy1970 said:

It is no less reliable than a normal engine, what you are hearing is a few stories on the internet getting blown up. Reality is it is a tiny decimal of a fraction that have failures (outside of a bad batch of valve springs) and most never have an issue. Drive it, enjoy it and take care of it with maintenance and it should last you a long time. Of the few we have had with AFM all have gone over 100k or more without issue. I even had a buddy on his bone stock Tahoe go nearly 300k with AFM and no issues or oil consumption and DFM should have learned from any short comings of AFM and improved on it. 

Tyler

Not counting what I read on here. I know 6 people who had problems with cylinder deactivation engines. Not all GMs. These are people who keep vehicles for awhile, maintain them well. All before 100K miles. I don’t care if it’s Honda, Ram or GM. I’m staying clear of the Frankenstein engines. 

I was under the impression most of the failures were occurring on the 6.2s, particularly 2020 and 2021 models.

I've got 40,000 on my DFM 5.3 without any hiccups. I also change my oil every 5k and am warrantied up for the long haul. 

I dunno but I drive my 6.2 like I stole it. ~13 mpg lifetime fuel economy. I have bad impulse control, but haven’t had any engine issues. 🙂

Not so much lifters, but there was a lot of fuss recently about valve spring failures at very low mileage. Affected a certain run of trucks built from June to September 2020.

• Like 3

How I look it at…if something breaks, fix it. You can make anything last 20 years, or even forever, as long as you’re willing to fund maintenance and repairs as you see fit.

That is, unless you live in the rust belt. Then you might not have a frame left to bolt new parts onto at some point.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 11bravoZ71 said:

Changing oil at 5k miles should definitely pro long the motors life. 
from all I’ve read the cleaner the oil the less chance of a lifter to go. Unless it’s just destiny. Idk. I want this truck to last 20 years. Lol  

I'm not a believer in 'destiny'. I do believe in "time and unforeseen occurrence". Even more I believe in 'preventive maintenance"... and heavy on the PREVENTTING. Treat it like you want it to last 20 years. Keep the fluids cool. Keep it clean. Keep the fluids changed. Keep the machine in 'tune' and not just A tune...like somewhere in the box but in the best tune viable. Anything past that isn't destiny...it's unforeseen. Ya know, like a bad batch of valve springs unforeseen. 

I highlighted one above that is so misunderstood it is criminal. The only concern to have for how clean the oil is comes in the form of how clean the motor is and this is NOT automatic. Meaning clean oil does NOT mean a motor free of deposits.

( I just heard a gasp from the gallery ) 

There is NO testing, zero, that can be done (such as UOA's) that will tell you how clean the critical areas of these motor are that does not involve taking the motor apart for visual inspections and determinations. So...keep it clean means of deposits not how dark the oil is. I'll get some backlash on this and that's fine.

TEOST® 33C (ASTM D 6335) This test is done on virgin motor oils and mimics a turbo's hot side but I find it useful as the upper end of the temperature cycle is also the temperature between piston rings of NA GDI motors under load. Curious, right?

Problem is, is that API certified and DEXOS licensed oils are not required to publish the exact number. They only need comply with the UPPER LIMIT of the 'requirement'. Meaning????? They vary and vary allot. 

(some light bathroom reading)

Note how as the classifications progressed the TEOST requirements were lowered until....SP then the test was abandon by a bunch of test that have NO target (just a report) BECAUSE...they have no idea what happens when you stop using oil to lubricate and start using chemical additives. Part of an 'all inclusive' network 😉 The lighter the oil the more difficult this becomes.

Well if the API doesn't know and DEXOS doesn't know then??????? :rollin: 

Edited by Grumpy Bear