Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Truck programming options?


Recommended Posts

My last truck was a Ford and there was a program called ForScan. You could use it to program stuff on the truck. You could unlock options, change options such as making it so Camera Views wouldn't time out, Mirrors would Auto Fold in, Running Board would stay down, A/C would go to a preset when remote starting, and other things. 

 

Is there anything like this for GMC? I would love to make it so some specific Cameras from the tech package would always display. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

No, nothing like ForScan for newer GM trucks.  The PCM is encrypted and cannot be programmed.  I have a Ford F-150 Raptor and I've looked at ForScan but I haven't make any mods, mostly beause I haven't had a need.  That said, even with Ford, you are taking a chance at voiding the warranty with you make changes to the system.  ForScan is not a Ford app and it's not approved by Ford Motor Company.

Edited by unit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that sucks. It makes no sense that the cameras can't be one while driving. I was off roading my truck and tried the cameras down the side of the truck so I could see clearance in the deep ruts. It was awesome, but sucked I had to hit it every 7 seconds. And I really wish the air con seats would come on with the remote start. 

 

Am I missing something where this all can be done in the settings?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Not missing anything, the time was 8 seconds I thought.  I sort of agree with you,  but in the aggregate Im not sure how safe I feel with everybody running live feed continuous while driving down the road,  people have enough distractions as it it.  But would support something like a low speed continuous function.

 

As for the programming,  that is slowly becoming a dying thing.  ECMs are encrypted now which means you cant tune without them being cracked.  At least in other vehicles that were encrypted you had to pull the ECM and switch it out with a cracked one.  Which you can almost guarentee once you crack an ECM the warranty is gone.   I watch a lot of the forums and people are really walking away from it.  Another option is to see what the dealer can change

 

What you can do, is do inline tuners.  I have a pedal commander  which is awesome.  Banks also has some derringer products.  Inline tuners arent tunners per say,  they intercept the signal and change it.  Downfall is you can't get into everything or change as much.  The pro is you can change somethings and it doesnt leave foot prints.

Edited by nards444
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 6/5/2021 at 10:43 AM, xETERNALx said:

My last truck was a Ford and there was a program called ForScan. You could use it to program stuff on the truck. You could unlock options, change options such as making it so Camera Views wouldn't time out, Mirrors would Auto Fold in, Running Board would stay down, A/C would go to a preset when remote starting, and other things. 

 

Is there anything like this for GMC? I would love to make it so some specific Cameras from the tech package would always display. 

 

I am with you, this is something I've been searching for as well. There are things I would like to tweak and obviously the functionality is there we just need a way to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 5:43 AM, nards444 said:

Not missing anything, the time was 8 seconds I thought.  I sort of agree with you,  but in the aggregate Im not sure how safe I feel with everybody running live feed continuous while driving down the road,  people have enough distractions as it it.  But would support something like a low speed continuous function.

 

As for the programming,  that is slowly becoming a dying thing.  ECMs are encrypted now which means you cant tune without them being cracked.  At least in other vehicles that were encrypted you had to pull the ECM and switch it out with a cracked one.  Which you can almost guarentee once you crack an ECM the warranty is gone.   I watch a lot of the forums and people are really walking away from it.  Another option is to see what the dealer can change

 

What you can do, is do inline tuners.  I have a pedal commander  which is awesome.  Banks also has some derringer products.  Inline tuners arent tunners per say,  they intercept the signal and change it.  Downfall is you can't get into everything or change as much.  The pro is you can change somethings and it doesnt leave foot prints.

I see how constantly having a feed could be a distraction, lower speed use (parking lots, off roading, campground speeds) would be a nice compromise.

 

I am big into the import tuner world and have always had modified cars (BMWs, Subaru, Toyota). I don't think I would ever look to tune the truck. They come with so much power that I don't think the risk vs reward is there on a new one. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bill Rabold said:

 

 

I am with you, this is something I've been searching for as well. There are things I would like to tweak and obviously the functionality is there we just need a way to do it.

For sure it is there. Something as simple as fold in mirrors when you lock it would be nice. They have the ability to remember seat positioning, how about A/C, ventilated seat, etc? I would also like to be able to change the order of the info that displays on the speedo cluster display when under the info screen. Just simple stuff that finetunes the user experience but has no impact of the mechanics/durability of the vehicle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, xETERNALx said:

For sure it is there. Something as simple as fold in mirrors when you lock it would be nice. They have the ability to remember seat positioning, how about A/C, ventilated seat, etc? I would also like to be able to change the order of the info that displays on the speedo cluster display when under the info screen. Just simple stuff that finetunes the user experience but has no impact of the mechanics/durability of the vehicle. 

 

Funny thing is ford has been doing the mirrors thing for years now.  Ive said it other threads and got blasted, but the interior make up and functionality way behind others.  I feel like my 21 for the most part is running on 14-15 K2 tech still

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Comfort and convenience menu and remote, unlock page is about as much as you can control the functions....idk about cooled seats but heated come on on remote start.....there is a function for mirrors on higher trims (auto fold I believe).....

 

But yeah whatever is on infotainment screen in settings is it....idk bout Ford 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FORscan and AlphOBD for the Ram are awesome. I have used both. They both allow programming of multiple features. Basically enable the end user to "turn on and off" features that are already programmed in the various truck computers. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2021 at 12:16 PM, nards444 said:

 

Funny thing is ford has been doing the mirrors thing for years now.  Ive said it other threads and got blasted, but the interior make up and functionality way behind others.  I feel like my 21 for the most part is running on 14-15 K2 tech still

The crazy thing is, some things GMC is behind but others it is a head. I came from a 2018 F-250. I would have considered going back but the GMC has the built in TPms for trailers, headsup display, rearview mirror camera and other features that Ford does not.

Now layout, I would take the Fords layout over it. Instrumental cluster for sure. On the Ford I could customize everything that was digital. Like the oil temp, battery etc gauges across the top. On the GMC, they cant be changed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2021 at 9:53 AM, HiggySTL said:

I'm not sure how, but when it is hot out and I remote start mine, the a/c and cooled seats are on. 

 

I would love to know how to do this. My a/c comes on, but my seats do not. I have to turn them on everytime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.