Rear Axle Off Center?

I have a 2021 Silverado 1500 RST, 5.3, 8spd, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, 22" factory wheels. A couple days ago I noticed that the passenger side rear wheel is just about flush with the wheel well while the driver side wheel is recessed some. I went around a looked at few other new body style Silverado's and noticed this to be the case on all of them. Anybody else notice this? And why the hell would the rear axle be offset like this? it has to be close to an inch difference between sides. It bugs me, I don't like it.

-

-

Edited by Diamond817

21 hours ago, Diamond817 said:

I have a 2021 Silverado 1500 RST, 5.3, 8spd, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, 22" factory wheels. A couple days ago I noticed that the passenger side rear wheel is just about flush with the wheel well while the driver side wheel is recessed some. I went around a looked at few other new body style Silverado's and noticed this to be the case on all of them. Anybody else notice this? And why the hell would the rear axle be offset like this? it has to be close to an inch difference between sides. It bugs me, I don't like it.

-

-

I never noticed this before until your post.  I checked my 2020 LT and it too is slightly offset to the right, and now I can't sleep...

• Haha 3

I think you are expecting too much precision for a mass produced vehicle.  Its similar to those complaining their truck is a 1/2-inch lower on one side than the other.  Nit-picking.  Just because it cost a lot of money is no reason to expect perfection!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well then lets not worry if bearing clearances on the rods are off a few thou or if they got any paint on it at all. Heck lets just mail GM our life savings and save some natural resources. Just because you spend tens of thousands on this truck doesn't mean you should get a truck...right? 

Marry Barra is GM CEO Roger B. Smith version 2.0.

Only difference this time is people expect less.

Remember Roger? The guy that took buyers out of the equation and turned it from making cars to making money. 

The day quality left GM

:rant:

You have a starter kit OP. Find the issue and solve it yourself or live with it. :P

• Haha 1

What is the distance from the outside of the frame rail to the inside of the tire on each side of the truck? If that number is the same, the bed is off. If the number is different then they are putting the axle spring perches in the wrong spot. A measurement from the brake backing plate to the center of the spring will confirm that, just a bit more difficult to measure.

elcamino, you should see the tow boat industry. Master Craft, Malibu, Supra, Tige, etc.... craftsmanship flaws everywhere, and we just put up with it! The majority of brand new boats leave the dealerships only to return a few engine hours later with needed repairs due to the factory installation of parts. These are boats that cost $150k - 300k. Blows my mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the vehicle on a humped/curved driveway or road?  If the vehicle is leaning to the right slightly (passenger side down hill) this could cause what you are seeing.

Also, GM could be finally beefing up the driver's side suspension a bit like the Japanese have done for decades to accommodate the fact that the driver is often the only interior weight in the vehicle while it is operating.  With no one in the vehicle this often makes that side sit high.

2 hours ago, UNSTUCK said:

elcamino, you should see the tow boat industry. Master Craft, Malibu, Supra, Tige, etc.... craftsmanship flaws everywhere, and we just put up with it! The majority of brand new boats leave the dealerships only to return a few engine hours later with needed repairs due to the factory installation of parts. These are boats that cost $150k - 300k. Blows my mind.

A friend purchased 2020 pontoon boat last spring with a 50hp Mercruiser engine.  Everything was great but after some use it started leaking oil, a lot.  So he took it back to the dealer (125 miles away) and left it.  They called him a few weeks later and said Mercury was stalling.  Finally Mercury gave him a new engine, factory defect in some casting.  Only problem, it was months before it was fixed and winter was near so he only got to use it once.  So far this year, not much as he is a contract Fedex driver and they are swamped so he working long hours.....

11 hours ago, Anacortes Army Guy said:

I never noticed this before until your post.  I checked my 2020 LT and it too is slightly offset to the right, and now I can't sleep...

I’m the same way… damn army issued OCD haha!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Is the vehicle on a humped/curved driveway or road?  If the vehicle is leaning to the right slightly (passenger side down hill) this could cause what you are seeing.

Also, GM could be finally beefing up the driver's side suspension a bit like the Japanese have done for decades to accommodate the fact that the driver is often the only interior weight in the vehicle while it is operating.  With no one in the vehicle this often makes that side sit high.

GM released a TSB for their customers to drive around with a blowup doll filled with sand in the passenger seat which offsets the weight difference and keeps everything kosher. 

• Like 2