DANGER/Adaptive Cruise Control Malfunction

my 21' works well in certain scenarios. If it's long straight highway it does very well. If it's winding 2 lane roads with the sun on the horizon, it will disable itself frequently. I figure at least it is smart enough to know it can't work correctly.

I also like that you can adjust the distance for spacing between the car in front. I'm sure they are still working out some calibration settings, but overall I like it's features. But I do not consider this autopilot like others may.

Edited by black00ta

9 hours ago, Jeremy Menard said:

I also had a similar issue.  Front brake assist or collision avoidance failed.  Vibration and red warning after fender bender at front passenger.   $6300 damage and GM denied my claim.   GM isn't standing behind their safety systems on a $65,000 truck 

So you're saying it's GM's fault that you wrecked your truck?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AirForceAngler said:

So you're saying it's GM's fault that you wrecked your truck?  

:rollin: The audacity of some people, can't take responsibility for their own actions, they just want to play the blame game. I actually think it is because he didn't spend enough. If he had spent $70k on the truck it would have been enough to ensure the safety systems never ever fail and work 100% of the time to keep him safe while being a distracted driver. I also never understood the "I spent $XX amount I am entitled to this" argument...

Tyler

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got into see the service department about the adaptive cruise malfunction. Had a video which showed that it was temporarily out of service. No surprise here, they could find nothing wrong after running a diagnosis on the system. I had it happen again after taking it in. It was around 8 am and I was heading east on the same highway, the sun was low in the horizon and right in front of me. I suspect that this was the cause of the problem. Seems like they could come up with better technology that would work better.

I think we'll see these issues for a long time, until they put sensors in the road that talk to the car, and possibly even cars that monitor each other.   The reality is using optical cameras for staying in a lane, only works when the camera can see the lane markings clearly, rain/snow/direct sun, are always going to blind it.   If they used more cameras with more angles of view it would help, but there's only so many angles you can get on the front of a car.

The radar is great with cars and objects, but it can't identify lanes, unless they started using radar reflective lane tags.  Ideally you'd have something in the roadway itself the car can track.  Other wavelength cameras would do better in rain/snow and be less impacted by sunshine, but I doubt we'll see car companies use them anytime soon. 

Car companies clearly are not really interested in using the cameras in the best way possible, or they'd allow recording during driving.  At the end of the day I'd imagine it comes down what 95% of decisions in all industries do, cutting cost = more profit.

11 hours ago, Bamacommander said:

Finally got into see the service department about the adaptive cruise malfunction. Had a video which showed that it was temporarily out of service. No surprise here, they could find nothing wrong after running a diagnosis on the system. I had it happen again after taking it in. It was around 8 am and I was heading east on the same highway, the sun was low in the horizon and right in front of me. I suspect that this was the cause of the problem. Seems like they could come up with better technology that would work better.

So this system uses a camera to detect a vehicle in the front. I know when I drive towards the sun I either have sunglasses on or the sun visor down or both. The camera doesn't have that option. The system errs on the side of caution and lets you know with a warning that it's turned off temporarily. I'd rather have it do that than run into something. Also how far away do you have the following distance set? I would bet that has a big difference on the system reaction time.