DANGER/Adaptive Cruise Control Malfunction

7 hours ago, Bamacommander said:

Are you guys nuts. I was able to avoid the truck because I was paying attention. It wasn’t a panic situation , but it was a close call. The adaptive cruise is supposed to be a safety feature . Right now mine is not . They have all these technology features so as to make the vehicle safer to drive. I wanted to alert others of a potential serious issue with regard to this matter, and see if anyone else has had any problems. Try to avoid speculating as to what I did or didn’t do because you weren’t in the truck with me when this happened and more then likely your getting it wrong . 

If you came close to hitting a semi truck, you were relying on the system too much.  /theend

2 hours ago, USAFRET said:

Worst feature I have on my truck. Turned it off after trying it one time and will never use it again

Actually, I like it a lot.  I drove for a ten hour trip and probably only had my foot on the gas for a couple hours, if that.  It made the trip a lot less stressful.  I’ve driven the trip many times and I’m sure I could feel the difference using the adaptive cruise control. 

• Like 1

You guys are ridiculous for blaming the OP driver here. THE ADAPTIVE CRUISE DID NOT WORK AS DESIGNED. If I had it on,  I would be waiting for it kick in and slow down also. Then I would realize something is wrong here and hit the brakes....just as the OP did. I like adaptive cruise and use it often. BUT it does seem to slow too soon or closer than the last time sometimes?? So I am always watching the distance. This is not super cruise, or a Tesla, you cant go to sleep! Apparently some comments are from those who do not have or use adaptive cruise and dont understand how it works. 

To the OP, I have had that message in the DIC usually when its raining and the radar is not optimal. I suspect something interfered with the radar and disabled it. I have never had it not slow, but have had it disable itself and put that warning up....which means you at that moment DONT have adaptive cruise, so adjust as necessary. Which you did. I would try it again on a clear day and see if its working properly at all. A dealer visit is in order. 

I'm scared of these new features. My 17 impala had emergency brake warning. It would not apply the brakes but would beep and flash red lights on windshield to warn you to hit the brakes. Out of 4 years it was only correct in going off 3 times out of maybe 50. If the car would have automatically hit the brakes I would have got rid of the car. I don't trust these features work that well.

24 minutes ago, seamus2154 said:

You guys are ridiculous for blaming the OP driver here. THE ADAPTIVE CRUISE DID NOT WORK AS DESIGNED. If I had it on,  I would be waiting for it kick in and slow down also. Then I would realize something is wrong here and hit the brakes....just as the OP did. I like adaptive cruise and use it often. BUT it does seem to slow too soon or closer than the last time sometimes?? So I am always watching the distance. This is not super cruise, or a Tesla, you cant go to sleep! Apparently some comments are from those who do not have or use adaptive cruise and dont understand how it works. 

To the OP, I have had that message in the DIC usually when its raining and the radar is not optimal. I suspect something interfered with the radar and disabled it. I have never had it not slow, but have had it disable itself and put that warning up....which means you at that moment DONT have adaptive cruise, so adjust as necessary. Which you did. I would try it again on a clear day and see if its working properly at all. A dealer visit is in order. 

It depends on the setting. The closest setting may seem like it was too close, but it wasn't really. Maybe it did malfunction. Who knows. You don't know that it didn't work as designed, and neither do we. Unless there is/was dash cam footage, there is no way of knowing. 

3 hours ago, 1454 said:

It depends on the setting. The closest setting may seem like it was too close, but it wasn't really. Maybe it did malfunction. Who knows. You don't know that it didn't work as designed, and neither do we. Unless there is/was dash cam footage, there is no way of knowing. 

I understand. I have had this adaptive cruise since on 3 GM vehicles now. The 2021 you can actually disable it if desired and have regular cruise. I am wondering if the OP did that by accident. When you hit cruise it does default to adaptive cruise but gives you a prompt on the screen on how to disable it with one button. Maybe he hit it by accident??? And thought he was in adaptive cruise. But either way adjusted to the closet setting is still too far away for me. Cars still change lanes and push you back. That part is very annoying. It will disable, with rain, snow, or mist. But not continue and not stop. So its either user put into regular cruise mode mistakenly or if as he said it happened there is something wrong with his system. Like I said if there is an issue, it clicks off and puts up a message, not full speed ahead. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

I never once had a problem with the radar adaptive cruise control in my car.  Although it rarely gets used, the two camera Subaru Eyesight system in my wife's Outback has always worked flawlessly.  I always thought it was a bad idea to have an ACC system based on one camera.  GM dropped the ball on this.  

Agreed...but if used within their parameters...it works well most of the time.  Love it when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.  Just kick back relax and the truck will idle along with no issues.

Mine has always worked fine when appropriate, but its also kicked in a couple times when nothing was in front of vehicle.  I disregard those instances as a system limitation or failure.  Big deal.  Maybe I'm lucky nobody was tailgating me when that happened.

I use it for highway pacing, but usually have foot near brake and disable cruise while passing a slower car in traffic (other left lane vehicles present).  I view it as safety assistance, not automated driving.  Not saying I drive better than a computer, but I managed to drive for 30 years before this technology existed without rear ending anybody on the highway. 

I too have had the Adaptive Cruise suddenly turn off exactly as the OP posted.  Once I was driving with the Adaptive Cruise on with no vehicles ahead of me and the the seat vibrated, lights flashed, and disabled the cruise for no apparent reason.  Second time I was on the freeway and the adaptive cruise was working fine for an hour or so, then as I was approaching a slower vehicle in my lane waiting for the adaptive cruise to adjust my speed to match the approaching vehicle the Adaptive Cruise suddenly shut off exactly the OP stated and I had to press the brake to slow down my vehicle.  In BOTH situations, the Adaptive Cruise would not turn back on and I had to switch to regular cruise for the rest of the trip.  After I restarted the truck after a stop the Adaptive Cruise starting working again.  Definitely a malfunction of some sort.

"Had my cruise set on 75 going down the highway and came upon a Semi truck, the adaptive cruise didn’t slow me down like it normally does. All of a sudden my seat vibrated , a bell went off, and a message came across the screen saying that the adaptive cruise temporarily unavailable. Immediately , put the foot on the brake and missed ramming into the back of the Semi. Not fun! "

No one is questioning a malfunction, that is certainly possible (as is maybe not having adaptive set?). What people have a problem with is the whole "missed ramming in to the back of a semi". Under no circumstances if you are operating in a safe manner should you be in the position to nearly slam in to the back of something, which tells me the OP was not paying attention, maybe looking at his phone which half the drivers seem to be doing or who knows. If there was that much of a speed difference he should have been ready just in case and should have noticed. So people have a problem with someone not operating in a safe manner as that is how accidents happen. These are level 2 systems, the drivers should be aware and ready to take control which this guy needed at the last second and multiple other warnings (including finding time to read the message displayed on the DIC before taking measurers?). If it were me and I came up on a semi or other vehicle quickly I have my foot over the brake in case the computer doesn't take full control as it does sometimes. Now I am not sure if the OP is just being over dramatic on how it nearly failed to try and get some sympathy and more attention but at first to me it sounds like in attentive driving relying too much on computers in more extreme situations (it doesn't sound like it quit with a 5 mph difference but something much more dramatic) and second sounds to me like it shut off and who knows why. Maybe there were bugs covering the sensors or some other debris? These are finicky and they need all scenarios met to function or they will stop to protect themselves and the users. 

Either way take it in and see what they say, maybe something is wrong or maybe it operates as it should and something else caused it to temporarily be out of spec. 

Tyler

Edited by Amcguy1970
  • Like 1

The adaptive cruise in these trucks sucks balls.  I tried to use it for a while, but finally turned it off.  Even the closest setting is way too far.  Cars can still easily pull in front of you.  And it waits too long before it starts to slow down, so the slow downs feel abrupt.  My mom has a new Audi Q7 and her ACC works much better.  You can follow closer to vehicles in front and it slows down more gradually so that you hardly notice it's slowing down.  The only problem with her ACC is that it reads speed limit signs and tries to make you go the speed limit.

34 minutes ago, TxTruckMan said:

The adaptive cruise in these trucks sucks balls.  I tried to use it for a while, but finally turned it off.  Even the closest setting is way too far.  Cars can still easily pull in front of you.  And it waits too long before it starts to slow down, so the slow downs feel abrupt.  My mom has a new Audi Q7 and her ACC works much better.  You can follow closer to vehicles in front and it slows down more gradually so that you hardly notice it's slowing down.  The only problem with her ACC is that it reads speed limit signs and tries to make you go the speed limit.

I will agree with this. The system in my truck isn't nearly as good as the system in my old outback. I wouldn't say it sucks though. It's just not as good. 

41 minutes ago, TxTruckMan said:

The Honda one works pretty well on two lanes without a turn lane. On the freeway it’s so seem less you’re going slower before you realize it. With turn lanes you can get emergency type braking without notice. The guy being you is of course pissed off. Iv been behind someone and it has happened to me. All of the sudden the guy in front is rapidly slowing down. So now there’s a new thing to look out for. 

Edited by KARNUT