Throttle Body Spacer & Throttle Response Controllers

Hi, I just put a throttle body spacer on my 2019 LT TB (5.3L) with an S&B Cold Air Intake, and I figured I'd let you guys know what it did since it's a very easy and cheap mod. Haven't seen anyone else post about them. 

After installing, it feels like the throttle response is a lot better, and that RPMs climb much faster. Throttle response feels like what sport mode was before the spacer, and on sport it feels even better. I haven't noticed any sound change because the S&B is already pretty loud as is. Link : https://www.americantrucks.com/proven-ground-silverado1500-throttle-body-spacer-s115556.html

That being said, has anyone here gotten a throttle response controller for their T1? I've seen mixed things about it being amazing and the truck feels better, but some say it's useless if your truck has sport mode. Been looking at this one https://www.americantrucks.com/speedform-silverado1500-throttle-controller-s122652.html#customer_q_and_a since the pedal commander is 170$ more for what seems to only be bluetooth functionality. I'd like to hear your guy's thoughts. 

A throttle response controller tricks the computer into thinking you are giving more throttle than you actually are.  So if you are giving it 10 percent throttle, the throttle controller sends a signal to the engine requesting 20 percent throttle.  There is no magic here, and there is absolutely zero power gained by it.   If your looking for more reaction from your throttle, simply give it more throttle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The spacer didn't do anything, it's all in your head.

You're going to tell me that adding a 1/2 piece of metal with some swirls on it is going to improve throttle response and fuel mileage (what the company claims)?? My questions are how and where is the proof. The air going into the throttle body is already smooth and once it hits the throttle blade there is not enough space between the blade and the swirls to make it smooth again. Also the minimal air volume gained by that spacer doesn't help anything.

Spacers work on carbs far better because of their design and or when you want to increase the length of the intake plenum for certain applications. These TB spacers are just a gimmick and a great way to make money off people. $15 part which takes 20 minutes to design in solidworks that sells for $90 is great profit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spacers had some use under carburetors at one time to increase 'plenum volume' and didn't always work then. Modern GDI manifolds would be unaffected by a few cubic inches of volume increase to an already really large natural volume old dual plane manifolds lacked.  Really good marketing though. 

Agree with the above. I could pull it off without you knowing I did so, you would never notice the difference. That extra pep you have is due to your wallet being lighter and your foot being heavier. But it's your $$.

Now, if you want something that really works.............   :crackup:

41ijddey2mL._AC_.jpg

• Haha 5

Not going to act like I know better. All I know was I paid only 40$ (open box) for it and if it is really all in my head, then whatever. Pseudo performance gain from the spacer was just a driver mod because I expected to feel a difference, thus putting more pressure on the pedal. I appreciate the constructive responses, and I, at the very least learned something from posting about it. 

• Like 1