Castrol Edge VS Amsoil OE

UPDATE

I forgot the owners manual states change the oil and filter at 3750 miles if you meet certain conditions. Our driving meets 3 of the conditions for 3750 OCI's. This is why I was doing 3 K mile OCI's like I have always done.

Conditions

1 Repeatedly driving short distances of less than 5 miles (8 km) in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing temperature. Our trip to town is 6 to 8 miles depending on our destination. Round trip is over the low mileage.

2 Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt spread roads. Dirt roads are the norm.

3 Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road. This type of roads are everywhere we go. 

Now I'm second guessing going 5 K OCI's. I figured the better oil filter( 10 K mile) and Amsoil oil (7500 mile) it wouldn't be a problem running this combo for another 1250 miles. 

Yes, I know I could do a UOA and I might. 

Opinions please.

55 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

UPDATE

I forgot the owners manual states change the oil and filter at 3750 miles if you meet certain conditions. Our driving meets 3 of the conditions for 3750 OCI's. This is why I was doing 3 K mile OCI's like I have always done.

Conditions

1 Repeatedly driving short distances of less than 5 miles (8 km) in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing temperature. Our trip to town is 6 to 8 miles depending on our destination. Round trip is over the low mileage.

2 Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt spread roads. Dirt roads are the norm.

3 Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road. This type of roads are everywhere we go. 

Now I'm second guessing going 5 K OCI's. I figured the better oil filter( 10 K mile) and Amsoil oil (7500 mile) it wouldn't be a problem running this combo for another 1250 miles. 

Yes, I know I could do a UOA and I might. 

Opinions please.

I think it will be just fine.  I understand the short distance and other conditions.  I'm now in the shorter driving distance since we moved.  Before we had to drive 20 miles to get anywhere, now everything is withing 2 miles from the house.  No hills or dirt roads though.

You can do a UOA to see how it goes, but to me not needed. 

DIYER2

Does your Hyundai burn clean, operate at optimum efficiency? The recommendations in manuals are for lowest common denominator. Does it have any wear issues that you can't explain etc.....

Grumpy and Nick are right in 3750 miles most API certified formulated to a minimum oils will do fine. 

I live in similar environs at 9000' in CO on mountain remote roads but aside from change the air filter more often and making sure its well seated to seal out that dust and fine volcanic rock it does great. 

Another consideration is fuel usage and altitude induced drop in naturally aspirated power. If you are above 4000-5000'  most of the time you are producing less HP and using less fuel generally.  Thats easier on the engine just by less fuel used. 

• Like 1

customboss,

House is at 9200. Elevation varies from 6000 - 9500 during our travels.

I just reread this thread. A lot of the info you and Grumpy post is over my head and I bet a lot of others heads.

I do believe Grumpy stated the Castrol Edge and Amsoil OE are a lot alike. So I'm still confused if the Amsoil OE is an upgrade form Castrol Edge. I think it is but I'm no chemical engineer.

• Like 1

Ordered the Amsoil OE oil and Purolator One filters. $8 dollars more per oil change than Edge oil and Wix filter. Will do 4 K mile OCI's. 

To me this is a good compromise as opposed to more expensive oil and I believe it's and upgrade that is cost effective. 

Thanks all.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Sorry fellas. 

Considering all the replies, opinions and lab talk I have 1 question. 

Does the Amsoil OE oil provide 47% more wear protection?

Than what?

How about we define the point of reference first.

To what are we comparing it?

Give me a chemistry.

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Sorry fellas. 

Considering all the replies, opinions and lab talk I have 1 question. 

Does the Amsoil OE oil provide 47% more wear protection?

Amsoil likes to use 4 ball wear testing comparisons and yes it might if that’s the reference. 
BP Castrol are masters of R&D in Pangbourne ,England. Then hire out lowest bidder blending all over the world to keep costs low to compete with getting shelf space at Walmart. 
Great formulations but first to deceive US market with defining GRP III highly refined petroleum as “synthetic”. 
Show us the 47% claim so we can define what that means to your needs. 

• Like 1

So 47% more wear protection is B.S.

Again I think it's better oil than the major brands available off the shelf. 

I remember reading the base stock used in Amsoil is refined more so it has less junk in it. True?

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

So 47% more wear protection is B.S.

Again I think it's better oil than the major brands available off the shelf. 

I remember reading the base stock used in Amsoil is refined more so it has less junk in it. True?

diyer2  not necessarily. 

I asked you where that 47% value came from?

Show me so I can answer your question based on science not marketing. Amsoil does not make claims lightly, they usually back it up with testing of some sort. 

On 11/19/2021 at 9:55 AM, customboss said:

DIYER2

Does your Hyundai burn clean, operate at optimum efficiency? The recommendations in manuals are for lowest common denominator. Does it have any wear issues that you can't explain etc.....

Grumpy and Nick are right in 3750 miles most API certified formulated to a minimum oils will do fine. 

I live in similar environs at 9000' in CO on mountain remote roads but aside from change the air filter more often and making sure its well seated to seal out that dust and fine volcanic rock it does great. 

Another consideration is fuel usage and altitude induced drop in naturally aspirated power. If you are above 4000-5000'  most of the time you are producing less HP and using less fuel generally.  Thats easier on the engine just by less fuel used. 

You never answered this query either.  The tune of your Hyundai matters more than the oil you use.  However if those two products were my choice I would order the Amsoil from Black02Silverado

7 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

OK thats  Peugeot TU3M Wear Test (CEC L-38-A-94)  test limit for Dexos1 GEN2 0w20 is 15 um of cam scuffing wear. Being at 8 um is great, disclosing their test result is even better!  If you want to know the direct correlation find the Castrol Edge 0w20 values.  I am betting your research will only say it passed the 15 um limit of scuff wear.   OW-20 was tested because DEXOS requires it for GEN2. 

Hyundai does not require DEXOS testing but its a good guide to exceeding cam scuffing wear testing. 

Anyone have access to Castrol Edge 0w20 Peugeot TU3M Wear Test (CEC L-38-A-94) test results?  We know their DEXOS marked bottle would met 15 um or less. 

Of the 4 Hyundai’s I’ve owned two still are in the family. The 05 Elantra GT the wife’s first Hyundai. The Grandson drives it now. It gets the normal maintenance schedule. The 11 Genesis has had the severe maintenance schedule as the dealer recommended. I resisted but we paid extra for extended warranty. I didn’t want excuses. No extras, no additives. And no tune ups. Both server their owners well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Of the 4 Hyundai’s I’ve owned two still are in the family. The 05 Elantra GT the wife’s first Hyundai. The Grandson drives it now. It gets the normal maintenance schedule. The 11 Genesis has had the severe maintenance schedule as the dealer recommended. I resisted but we paid extra for extended warranty. I didn’t want excuses. No extras, no additives. And no tune ups. Both server their owners well. 

Ford lost a future head of engineering to Hyundai/KIA and he turned that place around for sure.  Ask anyone who bought the first versions to market in US about their automatic transmissions...  The engines are flawless unless an early rod bearing issue reveals in the 4's.  They pioneered GDI when Ford was building Ecoboosts that carboned up the valves in literally 10,000 miles.  

That Genesis 3.8L ( I think)  is amazingly well built.