Castrol Edge VS Amsoil OE

I can afford to buy whatever oil I want. The car will get about 3 oil changes a I think. Maybe 4. So the difference in cost for Amsoil OE isn't a lot. 

20 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I can afford to buy whatever oil I want. The car will get about 3 oil changes a I think. Maybe 4. So the difference in cost for Amsoil OE isn't a lot. 

I guess I poorly express my original answer. I wasn’t trying to say you were trying to save money per say. I was trying to express you were pretty much in any oils capabilities  at 3K miles.

Edited by KARNUT

A lot of information here but you can look at it this way and with elcamino's post.

AMSOIL is a small company compared to the rest for the most part and quality control per patch is tighter in my opinion than others because of this.

Karnut has a great experience running  AMSOIL and for a long time.  Again, to me speaks to the quality of the product from his personal experience.

I run AMSOIL in everything and have for over 20yrs. 

The best thing is to do what you want to do.  In the end, you are the one that needs to be happy.

On a side note,  I had customers that I changed oil for in their Toyota's that ran the OE 0w-20 and one that use the OE 5w-30.  Both ran at 10k oil changes and the UOA's came back great.  The one that ran the 5w-30 had 225k miles and it was a Sienna.  Hauled his kids everywhere. LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diyer2 said:

The OE is quite average. Read it for yourself. This isn't Signature Series.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Amsoil.htm

I go to a jeweler and he sells all sorts of jewels. Hardly means a Ruby is a Diamond and no need to pay diamond prices for rubies. IMHO of course. 

36 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

The OE is quite average. Read it for yourself. This isn't Signature Series.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Amsoil.htm

I go to a jeweler and he sells all sorts of jewels. Hardly means a Ruby is a Diamond and no need to pay diamond prices for rubies. IMHO of course. 

That was back in 2013.  I wonder how much of that information has changed?

The Amsoil OE stuff here is roughly $8.50 a quart. The Mobil1 is like $9.79 a quart at Napa when not on sale. Castrol is nearly the same as Mobil1.

I'd buy the Amsoil before I paid more for Mobil1 or Castrol.

Yes I know that Walmart has the monopoly on Mobil1 prices but not everyone wants to shop there or isn't near one of their stores.

3 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

That was back in 2013.  I wonder how much of that information has changed?

Yea who knows...and that is part of the problem these days. Shifting sands. Guys at BITOG complain about Castrol Edge doing that. I did enough QC to know it even changes batch to batch. If you have an issue they always ask for the lot number. 

Ever few years I get scanned for cancer. Doc says that test was last week. No idea what's what today. It's all part of this worlds F.U.D. Fear....Uncertainty....Doubt I refuse to play that game....

Here is what I know for certain though. To get that SAE weight and API SN certification it WILL be within the boundaries they set. Those have upper and lower limits for both phos and zinc. Maximums on calcium. Boundaries for 100 c viscosity and minimums for HTHS and shear loss and maximums for CCS and on and on and on. Dozens of performance test you never see on a bottle label or a UOA result that matter a great deal. Those windows are narrow and if it also carries the DEXOS license it hands are tied for base oils. 

Pull a dozen top oils and toss in a few lower on the shelf and statistically they as so close it's a price game. They may have traded some calcium for some magnesium but the TBN will still be statistically the same +/- the standard deviation. One thing I do see is that sample had a good dose of boron...an up and coming in antifriction and detergency. But still, not the only player in that game either. 

Truth is AMSOIL OE, Red Line Pro, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, Valvoline, COSTCO Kirkland, Super Tech are all playing in a middle tier commodity market driven more by advertising and hype than facts and data. That market is controlled by the EPA and SAE and backed hard by the OEM's. Darn little wiggle room and it's getting worse. SP IMHO is a motor killer. 

If one want's better you have to step out of the commodity market level products. If that were not true then AMSOIL SS, Red Line HP, Penrite 10 tenths, MPT 30K are no better or worse...right? The last three put in writing their base stocks and the fact they do not use ANY VM's. 

Example: https://penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/10 TENTHS RACING 5W-30 (100percent PAO & ESTER).pdf

Edited by Grumpy Bear

"Is Amsoil OE an (d)  upgrade from Castrol Edge. "

No one here can answer that question by....... talking about, reading oil specs / sds sheets, watching  youtube videos, reading PQIA or other too basic reference oil analysis data. 

You might be able to accurately answer that question by going to IOM.  They publish IN DEPTH blinded samples of oil brands from all over the world that the industry uses to reverse engineer each others work.  The reports use the same battery of standards bench testing used to qualify lubricants and compare quality, capability. They are also proprietary and not to be shared or used only by the purchaser.  Not cheap but not too expensive to compare two lubricants you are concerned about. 

https://instituteofmaterials.com

INSTITUTE OF MATERIALS, INC.
4800 JAMES SAVAGE ROAD
MIDLAND, MI 48642 USA

PHONE: +1 (989) 496-2307
FAX: +1 (989) 496-3438

A Savant Group Company

Edited by customboss
spelling correction
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CamGTP said:

The Amsoil OE stuff here is roughly $8.50 a quart. The Mobil1 is like $9.79 a quart at Napa when not on sale. Castrol is nearly the same as Mobil1.

I'd buy the Amsoil before I paid more for Mobil1 or Castrol.

Yes I know that Walmart has the monopoly on Mobil1 prices but not everyone wants to shop there or isn't near one of their stores.

And Castrol is a British company, AMSOIL is American owned (Wis based) company since 1972.  Support American owned products.

AMERICAN INNOVATION
As one of a few independently owned oil companies, we've always stood apart from the big oil companies. We maintain the freedom to formulate products based on performance, not price. The result is a complete product line of full-synthetic lubricants that helps you push the limits of vehicle performance, power and speed

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 2

My reason for this thread.

I'm well aware of Karnuts experience with Amsoil. I also understand the difference in oil stocks thanks to Grumpy Bear. I prefer to change all fluids more often to remove dirty fluids and replenish with clean fresh fluids. I'm not a fan of extended anything, motor oil, trans fluid and driveline fluids. Because I change fluids more than normal I can't buy top of the line fluids. I get using better fluids and doing less changes. 

I used dino fluids up until 2015, then I started using semi synthetics. My purchases were based on cost. Never had a problem with dino fluids because I changed them.

My first foray into more costly fluids was to try Amsoils ATV oil. Again I thought of the conditions this ATV was used in. Always pulling grades, dirt trails only and sometimes 2 riders. Cold starts in winter to plow snow. Plowing snow can work it hard. I have had the cooling fan come on plowing snow when temps were low.

I liked how the Amsoil performed compared to the Valvoline I was using. Motor was quieter, shifts were smoother, more solid and it idled better. 

The experience with the ATV and Amsoil started me thinking about using Amsoil OE motor oil in our Santa Fe due to similar conditions. I have switched the driveline fluids in it over to Amsoil. The trans shifts better and the transfer case is quieter. 

So maybe I should consider Amsoils XL line of motor oil for the Santa Fe. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, customboss said:

"Is Amsoil OE an (d)  upgrade from Castrol Edge. "

No one here can answer that question by....... talking about, reading oil specs / sds sheets, watching  youtube videos, reading PQIA or other too basic reference oil analysis data. 

You might be able to accurately answer that question by going to IOM.  They publish IN DEPTH blinded samples of oil brands from all over the world that the industry uses to reverse engineer each others work.  The reports use the same battery of standards bench testing used to qualify lubricants and compare quality, capability. They are also proprietary and not to be shared or used only by the purchaser.  Not cheap but not too expensive to compare two lubricants you are concerned about. 

https://instituteofmaterials.com

INSTITUTE OF MATERIALS, INC.
4800 JAMES SAVAGE ROAD
MIDLAND, MI 48642 USA

PHONE: +1 (989) 496-2307
FAX: +1 (989) 496-3438

A Savant Group Company

It's a great resource indeed. That said do I need to use full on forensics to decide which bottled water to drink? Which gasoline to buy. Which bleach to use. Sound over simplified? What these have in common are that they are all chemically defined fluids whose physical attributes are regulated by government agencies. 

People just like to make things more difficult than they need to be. Marketing thrives on this inclination of man. 

I use these tools you mentioned to help people 'see' the differences and commonalities I experienced in every step of refining I worked from the minute crude was delivered, to the tank wagon it went to the station in or bottling rack and 90% of all operations in between. I have no need to know which oil field the crude came from or which unit it was processed in or under whose license that was done. The finished product will conform to the same standard and pass the same testing. The comprehensive list of SAE requirements tells me what I need to know about the finished product and it's performance. The air I breath in De Kalb County does the same job as the air I breath in Ogle County and is of the same composition. More or less depending on the number of trees; Oh lord save me. 

It's sort of the reason they are called Commodity Products. So yea....someone can....

SOMEONE is the formulator and blender. Not all the chemistry or performance of a given formulation can be found from public data.

IOM tests are not that expensive and they use standardized testing to show actual test results. I am new here so catching up on what is shared here.   

Dependence on experience, observation, and reading/sharing public data is incomplete. IOM is not full on forensics, its data that tests and compares against SAE,ASTM standard testing blinded.  But its more fun to lecture on the internet I suppose. 

diyer2  for the Santa  Fe ( any engine, trans, gearbox),  you are guessing unless you look at oil analysis data from that unit before deciding best practices on engine oil. 

On 10/21/2021 at 10:10 AM, diyer2 said:

I'm no chemical engineer so I would like some input on these oils. I'm considering switching from Castrol Edge to Amsoil OE for our 19 Santa FE. It takes 5W20. Is the cost difference worth it? I just want a better grade oil than Castrol Edge. Don't want to go full 100% synthetic like Red Line. Can't justify the cost because I will still do 3 K OCI's with Amsoil OE.

I'm thinking of switching looking for a better all around oil with better wear protection and cold start protection. Because we live in a colder climate in the mountains of Colorado and our trips to town are short drives I was thinking of upgrading this cars oil. Our morning temps have been in the 20's and 30's and it will be below zero in the dead of winter with highs in the 10's -  20's. Looking for better wear protection because we pull grades everywhere we go.

I think Amsoil OE would be an upgrade over Castrol Edge but not sure how much of an upgrade. What's your opinions?

I made the switch to Amsoil OE.  I signed up for the preferred customer program and it brings the cost down to almost box store prices for the big name oils that are always on sale.  I can get a 4 gallon case of 0W20 shipped to my door with tax about $93.  Gets me two oil changes, so about $45 an oil change (8 quarts).  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, customboss said:

SOMEONE is the formulator and blender. Not all the chemistry or performance of a given formulation can be found from public data.

IOM tests are not that expensive and they use standardized testing to show actual test results. I am new here so catching up on what is shared here.   

Dependence on experience, observation, and reading/sharing public data is incomplete. IOM is not full on forensics, its data that tests and compares against SAE,ASTM standard testing blinded.  But its more fun to lecture on the internet I suppose. 

diyer2  for the Santa  Fe ( any engine, trans, gearbox),  you are guessing unless you look at oil analysis data from that unit before deciding best practices on engine oil. 

And the same would be true if I had those reports. I would have MORE information but I will never have it all. Neither will anyone else. But what I will have is enough to make a well informed real world decision. At some point...more is not more. It's just confusion and more importantly "distinctions without a difference". Atom splitting in a coal mine for the sake of what? Because it can be done? 

Let's try this. Name a performance test in the series run that will have a practical usefulness to Joe Average standing at a shelf in the local O' Reilly's? One that will have a real world distinction. Note I did not say physical data. That is a separate topic.  

About 90% of the data received in a UAO is pointless and test they can run that make a difference, are not routine.

Next thing you know we will be in discussion over their ISO certification and if you can measure the thing without altering that thing or who has the most accurate 'ruler'. 

Every time a guy puts mud in the water the result is muddy water when clarity is what was asked for. :banghead: 

Now there's some fun, eh? Good job! Nice job and...........without results. Ya didn't answer diyer2's question......