Castrol Edge VS Amsoil OE

5 hours ago, diyer2 said:

I forgot to post this feature that is on our Santa Fe. You can set the OCI to whatever you like, I have it set at 3 K. Currently have about 3300 miles on the first Amsoil OE. Still shows full on a cold overnight level check. Oil isn't as dirty as the Edge would be. Thinking of going to 4K.

Our daughter just got a Kia Sportage and you can do the same thing.  Pretty cool.  You can also set the turn signal to blink either, 3 or 5 or 7 times when you just bump it.  I wish my truck did that.  I don't think 3 flashes is enough when passing and changing lanes.  7 would be preferred.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Our daughter just got a Kia Sportage and you can do the same thing.  Pretty cool.  You can also set the turn signal to blink either, 3 or 5 or 7 times when you just bump it.  I wish my truck did that.  I don't think 3 flashes is enough when passing and changing lanes.  7 would be preferred.

Ram trucks are doing this like for ever 

• 2 months later...

Back on topic. We took a 2/1/2 day road trip covering 600+ miles with 2 nights in a motel. Driving conditions included lots of curvy mountain roads, flat straight roads with lots of elevation changes. 

The purpose of this update is the car used no oil which I attribute to switching to Amsoil OE. It would use a little oil when using Castrol Edge. 😀

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Amsoil oe isn’t very expensive. 7 buck some change per quart. 

I used Castrol for a couple years and 5000 mile intervals. Did an analysis with edge and the numbers were great. Could have gone longer. I’ve got oe in there this winter. Will do another analysis. 

that said, if I were truly worried about the cold I would try 0w30 rather than my normal 5w30. The first number is your cold crank number, the second is your normal running number. 

CASTROL  is a British Oil Company

AMSOIL Is an American Oil Company (Superior, Wis.) since 1972!

Buy American IMHO, I have for over 30 yrs.........................

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oil filter change 2019 Santa Fe.

4037 miles. Amsoil OE 5W20 and Purolator One filter used. 

It was down about 10 -12 ounces I would guess. I have been checking it once a week so I knew it.

I don't think the oil usage is bad considering our driving conditions. Meaning our constant elevation changes puts more strain on a motor than flat landers. Would I like to see no usage? Of course.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 7:11 PM, OnTheReel said:

If it detects a trailer it will extend the blinks automatically. But no way to manually change the count on the GM. Or my Ram for that matter.

You can but it will cost.  White Auto and Media can do it.  I would like to extend the flash like it does with the trailer hooked up.  But the cost is not worth it to me at least. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have always checked my oil after sitting over night. My Santa Fe manual says to do this with a fully warmed up engine, shut it off, let it sit for 5 mins. then check the oil.

I tried the manual way for a test. Oil level after sitting 5 mins. maybe a tad lower than a cold overnight check. 

The difference is so small I will continue to do overnight cold checks.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I have always checked my oil after sitting over night. My Santa Fe manual says to do this with a fully warmed up engine, shut it off, let it sit for 5 mins. then check the oil.

I tried the manual way for a test. Oil level after sitting 5 mins. maybe a tad lower than a cold overnight check. 

The difference is so small I will continue to do overnight cold checks.

I'm envious. Terrian is 4 ounces different between 5 minutes and 20 and a pint by morning. It's that stupid cast in oil filter without a anti-drain-back feature. :mad:  

20 minutes is a long time to sit at a gas pump :crackup:

Good for you! :thumbs:

I understand someone like Grumpy being ultra diligent with oil checking. Several times with different vehicles even lately with the CRV when I first got it. I’m on my first trip checking the oil at the first gas stop. OMG! It’s down half a qt. So now I’m thinking about it throughout the whole trip with the dipstick dance. The whole trip was 3K miles. Once home in its spot the next morning dead on full. The low to full mark is one qt for a reason. I had forgotten. I even had an oil user from new. After the first 2K miles I switched to Amsoil. 5K miles later on the road I check the oil. 3 quarts low. I add the 3. 100 miles later I’m home. The next day 1/2 qt over full. I never top off on the road unless it’s under the one qt add mark. Then only 1/2 of qt. It has only been that one truck.

• Like 1

I check my oil regularly. Simple task.

I gain the knowledge of how much oil is used, if any in X amount of miles. On a trip mileage tells me oil usage. 

But I still check it very morning because you never know. 

Easy insurance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...