Castrol Edge VS Amsoil OE

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Some of those 'byproducts' are soluble and cannot be filtered out and deposit when the motor is heat cycled. Shellac from fuels poorly combusted. Ask me how I know? :P That gold color. Formed during operation and deposited on cool down and they do not solve out with newer low solvency lubricants. Detergents are ineffective at removing them once deposited. I honestly do not know how effective detergents are at even slowing such fuel related shellac deposits down from plating out. Maybe someone with more chemistry background will weigh in. 😉 @customboss

Leaves two lines of defense. As highlighted, change it before it reaches 'saturation'. Keep it in a sharp state of tune which includes a close eye on the PVC system. The more optimal the ENTIRE tune and the more optimal the service the longer it will go. Not a cookie cutter situation....IMHO.  

Hyundai has it figured out for their motor.  

Correct, there are properties of our fuels that will never be filtered out in the engine oil filter or dispersed properly by the engine oil.  

So those deposits "stick" to hot thin flow areas with a good amount gassing off on higher temp and higher areas of the engine. 

The majority of issues I've documented over 42 years of lubricants and fuels R&D work found the fuels dilution and incorrect combustion and CCV systems as THE issue. 

Increased aromatics are being used by refiners that are very aggressive and even more once they run through crankcase venting and EGR function, now done by VVT and engine valve systems.

• Like 1

Dirty looking engine oil maybe analytically fine, its just dispersing a lot of gasoline additive polymers damaged by heat and still having enough polarity the Castrol could hold it.  Until they get large enough being held in dispersant micelles the oil filter is a SCREEN DOOR ON A SUBMARINE  efficient. In others won't clean up the clarity of the lubricant. 

• Like 1

Follow up to my Castrol Edge vs Amsoil OE.
Changed the oil and filter in our 19 SF 2.4L non turbo switching to Amsoil OE from Castrol Edge. We have put over 150 miles on it since the oil change, what I have noticed.
We have morning temps in the 20's here in the mountains. On a cold start it is quieter. It is also quieter at idle when warmed up. The wife noticed it was quieter, very surprising.
So IMO Amsoil oil had the same effect in the car as it did in my ATV, the motor is quieter. I like that.
I will continue to use Amsoil OE and and a Purolator One oil filter at an additional cost of $8 per oil and filter change compared to Edge and a Wix oil filter.
YMMV

EDIT

3000-3500 K mile OCI's will be the norm. Severe duty OCI's for this car is 3750 miles and our use is severe duty per the manual.

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2022 at 8:42 AM, diyer2 said:

This oil was mentioned on another forum. I thought I would post it for the oil guys. I never heard of it.

https://www.ravenolamerica.com/categories/motor-oil.html

Looks like they make oil from various base stock.

Overpriced German PAO formulations. Works good but you gonna pay for it. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I check the oil regularly, last check at 2300 miles. The Amsoil OE is cleaner than the Edge at the same mileage.

Trans was serviced with Amsoil trans fluid Karnut a while ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I check the oil regularly, last check at 2300 miles. The Amsoil OE is cleaner than the Edge at the same mileage.

Trans was serviced with Amsoil trans fluid Karnut a while ago.

Spot on diyer2, my latest OE run still had another 5000 miles easy on a 7400 mile oil run! See here

Can't wait to try the 5w30 Signature Series fluids in the engine.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

I haven't added any oil using the Amsoil OE, still right where it started on the dip stick checked after sitting over night. It has just over 3 K  miles on the Amsoil. The Edge was requiring a small amount of oil to be added. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

FYI

I haven't added any oil using the Amsoil OE, still right where it started on the dip stick checked after sitting over night. It has just over 3 K  miles on the Amsoil. The Edge was requiring a small amount of oil to be added. 👍

I appreciate these updates from a fella whose bias is in check and his methods scientific. Observe and report. 😎

Keep it coming. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot to post this feature that is on our Santa Fe. You can set the OCI to whatever you like, I have it set at 3 K. Currently have about 3300 miles on the first Amsoil OE. Still shows full on a cold overnight level check. Oil isn't as dirty as the Edge would be. Thinking of going to 4K.

• Like 1

My CRV at 5K miles finally got a little dark, damn little. My wife’s Genesis all in town miles is dark at 3K miles. It gets changed just under 4K per their recommendation. It had bumper to bumper 10-100k so I followed. The Avalanche at 3K clearish. The original owner did 3K oil changes, at 6K filter. Funny the last time at the dealership they said my oil was sludge  first coming out. I check before driving every time. No evidence. When the weather gets cool I’m doing the next one. The Honda now at 7K miles on this oil is cleaner than the Genesis. Non are di engines, no turbos. The truck and Genesis travel the same roads in town. The Honda is mostly trips. Funny though the full-size Genesis is just 2 miles under per gallon than the CRV at 72 miles per hour on trips. The Genesis just hums along while the RPMs dance around on the CRV. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My CRV at 5K miles finally got a little dark, damn little. My wife’s Genesis all in town miles is dark at 3K miles. It gets changed just under 4K per their recommendation. It had bumper to bumper 10-100k so I followed. The Avalanche at 3K clearish. The original owner did 3K oil changes, at 6K filter. Funny the last time at the dealership they said my oil was sludge  first coming out. I check before driving every time. No evidence. When the weather gets cool I’m doing the next one. The Honda now at 7K miles on this oil is cleaner than the Genesis. Non are di engines, no turbos. The truck and Genesis travel the same roads in town. The Honda is mostly trips. Funny though the full-size Genesis is just 2 miles under per gallon than the CRV at 72 miles per hour on trips. The Genesis just hums along while the RPMs dance around on the CRV. 

Stan,  CRV a CVT?  Change out the fluid to Amsoil CVT and bet it stabilizes without all the slippage. 

1 hour ago, customboss said:

Stan,  CRV a CVT?  Change out the fluid to Amsoil CVT and bet it stabilizes without all the slippage. 

The CVT took a little getting used to. People may laugh but the CRV is just a little slower than my 94 impala ss was. As far as fluid. Honda has an additive that they sell for the CVT. Using it gives you a lifetime warranty. Same with the oil. That’s why I let them service it and use their fluids.

• Like 1