GM Accessories Rip off (package never shipped, and they refuse to do anything about it)

todd308

Beware, if you order something from GM Accessories and it never shows up, GM will do nothing for you.   Also if you try to make an online claim with Fedex, they won't let you because the "Shipper has a claim account setup".

About a month ago I used some of my points for a set of black recovery tow hooks and some leather cleaner.    Leather cleaner showed up (they were shipped separate) tow hooks never did.   I did get a shipment email from them for the tow hooks but Fedex's tracking system only shows a label was created, but the shipment was never received by them. 

This morning I contacted GMC Accessories by chat and their answer was that their system shows it was shipped a month ago and the tracking number (that shows a label was created but package was never received by Fedex) is all the documentation they have (they have nothing that documents Fedex ever received it for shipment) and that they have no responsibility because they are sure they "shipped" it.   As the shipper with a claims account they need to make a claim with Fedex unless the tracking info shows it was delivered.   They apologized and said there was nothing they could do and I'd need to contact Fedex myself because they are sure they "shipped it". 

It's not that I don't feel Fedex could be to blame, but Fedex isn't going to do anything if all the tracking # shows is a label was created but the package was not delivered to them for shipment unless the shipper can show proof of it being received by fedex.   GM is clearly unwilling to do this, or provide a replacement. 

If FedEx has no tracking number and no record of pick up from the shipper, it falls on GM. Saying they are sure they shipped it is not proof, it's a copout. I would keep calling them. You can also call 1-800-462-8782. Customer complaint line. One thing I have found helpful when calling these numbers, at each prompt press 0. It'll get you a live person faster. Good luck and keep us posted. 

Exactly, if according to Fedex it hasn't been delivered to them for shipping, just that the shipper created a label, and GM has no receipt/proof of handing the package to Fedex, the liability lies with GM.   The downside is I really have no other recourse on my end aside to bug GM, since I used points for the order there's no card charge I could dispute etc.   At the end of the day I'm not out anything but points, but it's bad business practice. 

Funny thing is I went back and forth if I should just remove them and coat them black, or order black ones, figured why not order a set and use points since they have nothing else I want.  Clearly I should have just coated them :)

If there isn't tracking all the way to your door, it's GM's problem. They are not only responsible for shipping. The shipment must make it to you. If they shipped and it showed accepted by FedEx (I know this wasn't the case) then it is their responsibility to make a claim with FedEx. 

Call and make sure you talk with a manager. This isn't right., 

Whenever I don't get an acceptable answer from a support person I escalate to their manager and keep going up the chain until I get a satisfactory resolution. Then there is also social media, I've had companies reach back out to me to resolve the issue because of a post. I don't like to go that route but sometimes that catches someones attention due to its public visibility. (Note: once all is said and done I will either remove the post or amend it to state the issue was resolved to my satisfaction)

On 10/23/2021 at 11:14 AM, todd308 said:

Beware, if you order something from GM Accessories and it never shows up, GM will do nothing for you.   Also if you try to make an online claim with Fedex, they won't let you because the "Shipper has a claim account setup".

About a month ago I used some of my points for a set of black recovery tow hooks and some leather cleaner.    Leather cleaner showed up (they were shipped separate) tow hooks never did.   I did get a shipment email from them for the tow hooks but Fedex's tracking system only shows a label was created, but the shipment was never received by them. 

This morning I contacted GMC Accessories by chat and their answer was that their system shows it was shipped a month ago and the tracking number (that shows a label was created but package was never received by Fedex) is all the documentation they have (they have nothing that documents Fedex ever received it for shipment) and that they have no responsibility because they are sure they "shipped" it.   As the shipper with a claims account they need to make a claim with Fedex unless the tracking info shows it was delivered.   They apologized and said there was nothing they could do and I'd need to contact Fedex myself because they are sure they "shipped it". 

It's not that I don't feel Fedex could be to blame, but Fedex isn't going to do anything if all the tracking # shows is a label was created but the package was not delivered to them for shipment unless the shipper can show proof of it being received by fedex.   GM is clearly unwilling to do this, or provide a replacement. 

What accessories did you order?  Got any part #s?

How the GM brand accessories site works (the one from GM that you used) is the order is sent to your dealership's ADI (Accessory Distributor Installer).  They fulfill the order out to either the dealer your order is associated with or they sent it to your house FedEx (ground or express).  

The dealer that's listed on the order will have access on their end of the tracking #, if anything is backordered, etc.  The dealer also gets billed the accessory and then they invoice it and get paid via GM and through the dealer's online credit card servicing account.  

When you placed the order, did it have your dealer or a nearby dealer listed on it?

Here is an example.  Note that there is a dealer listed even though I picked Fedex Ground to my address.

TYEST.thumb.png.91b07134fa90302cc7dccbc19c25dae9.png

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Order was just the Recovery tow hooks in black PN: 84195907

I've tried contacting the listed dealer a few times, never been able to make any progress getting calls/emails returned.  I haven't tried showing up there as it's quite a drive to them, but that might be the next step.  Emails/contact form never get any response.   Calls always end up in having to leave a message or that someone will get back to me on the status, and of course no one does.  At the end of the day they probably don't care, there's no way for me to do a chargeback since I used points so if the dealer/GMC doesn't want to do anything, there's no cost to them.  Actually I think I did have to pay for shipping, maybe I'll do a chargeback for that just to share the headache with them.

I got the feeling when I talked to GM Accessories by chat they were calling the dealer and talking to them about the order.  They were adamant that the part was not backordered, and it was marked shipped in their system and not their problem, and that I needed to deal with Fedex.  Not sure if the dealers get receipts for packages Fedex picks up, but it seems like between GMC and the dealer no one is interested in doing much about it on their end.  My guess is the only way Fedex will do anything is if the dealer can show they tendered the package to Fedex for shipment because in Fedex's system it was never delivered to them for shipping, just a label created. 

I bought a few GM accessories from the online site and each was shipped from a dealer, not GM parts.  If I did not specify a dealer they chose one for me.  Never knew where from until package arrived with their name on the invoice. That was for my 2017.

Also, sometimes those tracking sites are wrong.  I was shipped 2 pkg last week by US Priority Mail. They arrived today, 5 days later. But when I use the tracking info on the USPS site it shows they have not yet been received by the US Mail, says a  label has been created but the US mail has not yet received the pkg.

Edited by elcamino

44 minutes ago, todd308 said:

Order was just the Recovery tow hooks in black PN: 84195907

I've tried contacting the listed dealer a few times, never been able to make any progress getting calls/emails returned.  I haven't tried showing up there as it's quite a drive to them, but that might be the next step.  Emails/contact form never get any response.   Calls always end up in having to leave a message or that someone will get back to me on the status, and of course no one does.  At the end of the day they probably don't care, there's no way for me to do a chargeback since I used points so if the dealer/GMC doesn't want to do anything, there's no cost to them.  Actually I think I did have to pay for shipping, maybe I'll do a chargeback for that just to share the headache with them.

I got the feeling when I talked to GM Accessories by chat they were calling the dealer and talking to them about the order.  They were adamant that the part was not backordered, and it was marked shipped in their system and not their problem, and that I needed to deal with Fedex.  Not sure if the dealers get receipts for packages Fedex picks up, but it seems like between GMC and the dealer no one is interested in doing much about it on their end.  My guess is the only way Fedex will do anything is if the dealer can show they tendered the package to Fedex for shipment because in Fedex's system it was never delivered to them for shipping, just a label created. 

84195907.  No backorders right now that is correct.  If there was one when you ordered, the system would have automatically notified both you and the dealer of the backorder and then when the ADI got stock in, they'd have sent it.

What needs to happen is the dealer on the order needs to contact their ADI and resolve this, as Fedex shipped accessories get shipped from the ADI and not from the dealer.  The ADI needs to prove it was picked up from them. 

We had a customer ship a hood deflector to his house from the GM accessories site, box came empty and left the box where he couldn't find it at first.  I got ahold of my ADI, gave them the tracking # and the customer's info and they sent him a new one the next day and the ADI handled the situation with Fedex.

I'd say to try the ADI yourself but your only option there would be email but they might just refer you to the dealer.

Edited by newdude

I am a FedEx shipper.  Anybody, ADI or Dealer, that claims it was shipped by FedEx certainly should be able to give you the Daggone Tracking Number!  If they can't they are lying, period!

Another tip ...

If you know of a business reasonably close to where you live, and you have a good relationship with them, you might be able to get them to agree to have something shipped to their address.  Title the shipping address as:

Some Company

C/O Your Name (or someone there who knows the package is coming)

Streetname

City, St  zippp

You should have the tracking number to trace it.

The reason being is that shipping to a business address is cheaper than shipping to a home address - always.

Do you have paperwork/ screen image from where your order (GMAccessories) that shows what dealer they would have used?

If so, call the dealer and ask for 'parts please'   -- no need to tell phone operator the purpose and risk the call being sidetracked.

If 'parts' gets you an answering machine, just leave name and number -- (or maybe just number...) 

Be polite.

As the saying goes, 'you catch a lot more flies with honey than vinegar.

You cam pretty much guarantee that whoever you are talking to is not the reason your parts are missing.

Edited by redwngr

On 10/26/2021 at 2:01 PM, bdallas said:

I would just call and ask for proof of delivery. If they can't produce proof of delivery, they need to re-ship it.

Agreed, but sadly there's not much I can do if they keep refusing. Since I used points there's only a shipping charge to do a chargeback on. I can keep bugging people but to be honest I'm already well past the point where I've spent way more of my time running this down between the dealer, GMC, Fedex etc. than a $55 part is worth and as long as GMC keeps saying it's a Fedex issue I need to pursue with them, and Fedex keeps say they never received the package, there's no recourse for me.

I was able to get ahold of the dealers parts department a couple times, the scenario is the same.  They take my name, put me on hold about 10 minutes, come back saying they looked up my order, they can see my order but can't see the details.  Take my name/# and say they will call me back when they find out more info.   No one calls back :) GMC has been adamant both on social media and phone/chat that I either need to deal with Fedex or the listed dealer.   Again not blaming the dealer parts guy, I'm sure it's not his fault, but it's a pretty impressive complete and total lack of help on an issue that should be very cut and dry.  Tracking clearly shows I never received the parts, replacements should be sent, or my points/$ should be refunded.   To see so many aspects of GM all pulling the same BS trying to avoid responsibility is impressive.