Sierra vs Silverado headlights?

3 hours ago, Garrett Haight said:

Are the headlights on the sierra better/brighter than the Silverado version? 

Depends on the trim level. GMC gets high intensity leds in SLT and above. Chevy puts them in the High Country and some special editions (redline, midnight).

On 11/4/2021 at 2:47 PM, Garrett Haight said:

Are the headlights on the sierra better/brighter than the Silverado version? 

If you are talking base Sierra trim to Chevy WT/Custom/CustomTB, yes.  The base Sierra gets LEDs while the 3 base Chevys are halogen.

If you are talking SLE, LT, LTTB, AT4, SLT, LTZ, High Country and Denali, no, no real performance difference.  The "High Intensity" LED are on the top trims, mid level trims get the "standard" LED. 

One important note on Chevy, LT TB Midnight Editions get the LTZ high intensity lights.

just my observation on my sierra SLT the forward light is good and has reasonable depth, however the side spill could be better i find myself wanting more side spill even with the fogs on, lighting on my previous Grand Cherokee (HID) was far superior 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Greyhound6.2 said:

just my observation on my sierra SLT the forward light is good and has reasonable depth, however the side spill could be better i find myself wanting more side spill even with the fogs on, lighting on my previous Grand Cherokee (HID) was far superior 

Agreed. I find the fog light on the passenger side isn't wide enough of an angle to light the shoulder.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2021 at 5:22 PM, OnTheReel said:

On 11/12/2021 at 1:01 AM, deheavychevy said:

Not gonna lie but the poor head light output on my 2022 LT was one of the first things I noticed on this car, especially around bends. IIHS rating confirm this, they dropped the ball, but nice car buttt they look cool.. 😉

Compared to a lot of other vehicles, Silverado/Sierra headlights are wonderful. Until you get into stuff from the German's.

IIHS ratings can be a bit deceiving if taken at face value.

Compare the Silverado report to an F-150. The Silverado is much better, except with the newest, highest trim F-150 with curve adaptive headlamps. Although the Silverado still beats it out in straight line.

Biggest tick reason that the IIHS gave Silverado's a P was due to excessive glare at oncoming vehicles, which is known. However, this has no impact to the driver of the Silverado and the performance of the headlamps.

Refresh 2022 --

1500 Sierra - all trims

Headlamps, LED reflector with Fade-on/ Fade-off animation, LED turn signals and Daytime Running Lamps

1500 Silverado - WT, Custom, Custom TB

Headlamps, halogen reflector with halogen Daytime Running Lamps S    S    S   

1500 Silverado - LT (both levels), RST, LT TB

NEW!  Headlamps, LED reflector with LED signature Daytime Running Lamps and Amber tracer animation --    --    --    S    S    S    S   

1500 Silverado - ZR2, LTZ, HC

NEW!  Headlamps, LED reflector (high intensity) with LED signature curtain Daytime Running Lamps and White tracer animation
1 - Includes Black bezel.
--    --    --    --    --    --    --    S1 S    S   

8 hours ago, shanemoon said:

Compared to a lot of other vehicles, Silverado/Sierra headlights are wonderful. Until you get into stuff from the German's.

Compare the Silverado report to an F-150. The Silverado is much better, except with the newest, highest trim F-150 with curve adaptive headlamps. Although the Silverado still beats it out in straight line.

Biggest tick reason that the IIHS gave Silverado's a P was due to excessive glare at oncoming vehicles, which is known. However, this has no impact to the driver of the Silverado and the performance of the headlamps.

Iirc, the leds the Germans are using are laser leds.  Iirc, Biden's infrastructure legislation would legalize laser led lights for cars in the US.  Baja Designs is already selling laser led lightbars.  They throw light further without blinding oncoming drivers. 

Personally, I have no qualms about the led lights on my truck. 

20 hours ago, shanemoon said:

Yes, and the glare is horrible actually. Never realized it until I got the Ram. Bigger taller truck, still never get flashed. My 19 Silverado got flashed regularly. Actually kinda feel bad for getting pissed and X-raying those guys back. They must have been onto something. 😂🤔 

2 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Yes, and the glare is horrible actually. Never realized it until I got the Ram. Bigger taller truck, still never get flashed. My 19 Silverado got flashed regularly. Actually kinda feel bad for getting pissed and X-raying those guys back. They must have been onto something. 😂🤔 

I actually never get flashed in my 2020 Silverado. 
But this is mainly due to Chevrolet going to a more modern reflector design rather than older projectors. 
Ram is still on projectors. 

It’s not excuse though, it’s just a poorly designed reflector. 

Also doesn’t help that they’re not self leveling or curve adaptive. On a bumpier road, I can see the glare issue being more apparent to oncoming traffic.