GM Facing Class Action Lawsuit Over Lifters

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2021/gm-lifter-recall-class-action-lawsuit.shtml?fbclid=IwAR36-MEw155HlTRcl-tRqgfwQ8gK_eiCj7Z9t2yjhRIYymJS2IYrkvily7k

Long and short of it: 

"(...)GM class action lawsuit alleges the lifters malfunction and prematurely fail because of multiple reasons.

The lifters (including the locking pin) allegedly do not conform to design specifications, are installed in an incorrect position in the lifter guide and/or are made of sub-standard materials.

GM also allegedly didn't consider the expansion and contraction rates of the lifters and the engine block, and the bores in which the lifters are inserted have widths that allegedly do not allow for the necessary clearance of the lifter to move freely, which damages the lifters.

A GM lifter recall should also allegedly be ordered because the automaker allegedly 'failed to account for the amount of increased pressure to which the AFM lifters are exposed by the pressurized oil used to operate the lifters, causing them to fail prematurely.'

The plaintiffs further claim more valve train maintenance is needed, more than is advised in GM's maintenance guides. This allegedly includes, 'more frequent oil changes, engine flushing and cleaning and/or replacing the valve lifter oil manifold and its filter at regular intervals.'

According to the class action lawsuit, GM allegedly replaces the defective parts with equally defective parts that continue to fail and cause a ticking noise from the engine."

Personally I am indifferent, I have not had lifter issues myself. I'll also probably be done with a DOD delete before anything comes of this. 

Edited by Truckboattruck

I feel that the AFM lifter system is very poorly designed, and extremely expensive to repair. A simple computer reprogramming is all that's needed to shut the AFM off, and it will greatly reduce the number of engine failures. A 7% increase in fuel mileage is not worth the $5,000 repair bill.

I would assume that they designed the system to fail, just like all the other low grade parts that are used in modern GM vehicles.

It reminds me of the Huffy brand bicycles or the Chinese knock off ATVs.

Don't get me wrong - of all the brands available - Chevy/GM is the best bang for the buck, and I have owned them for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supreme Pizza said:

I feel that the AFM lifter system is very poorly designed, and extremely expensive to repair. A simple computer reprogramming is all that's needed to shut the AFM off, and it will greatly reduce the number of engine failures. A 7% increase in fuel mileage is not worth the $5,000 repair bill.

I would assume that they designed the system to fail, just like all the other low grade parts that are used in modern GM vehicles.

It reminds me of the Huffy brand bicycles or the Chinese knock off ATVs.

Don't get me wrong - of all the brands available - Chevy/GM is the best bang for the buck, and I have owned them for years.

My fuel mileage improved. Why? Because I could actually control the damn engine instead of it bucking in and out of afm when not needed or wanted! Its the stupiderist thing ever. A computer says it reduces emissions so were forced to put up with it. Real world it does 💩. Sorry, needed to vent 😌

And what about all the emissions generated in manufacturing all these extra lifters? Was that taken into account!

Edited by M1ck3y
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Truckboattruck said:

According to the class action lawsuit, GM allegedly replaces the defective parts with equally defective parts that continue to fail and cause a ticking noise from the engine."

And there it is! :banghead: 

It's why I refuse most 'recall' work. I'll do a true fix but not a band-aid or junk out-junk in replacement. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

GM has an army of lawyers. This will go nowhere just like the 8spd class action lawsuit. 

Ya, your probably right. And if somehow it does finally settle in 8 years from now, every GM owner will get a check for $0.43 as their allotted settlement amount. The lawyers will get the other half of the 300 million dollar settlement.

Edited by Supreme Pizza
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Truckboattruck said:

I believe they are not seeking a settlement, they are seeking an official recall.

They ask for more and then they settle for less. Standard procedure.

A recall won't make the lawyers any money and it would cost the manufacturer a lot of money. A settlement will save GM millions and make the lawyers millions. GM saves face, the lawyers buy an island, and the customer gets screwed. If you were the lawyer or the manufacturer, which option would you choose?

Edited by Supreme Pizza
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Supreme Pizza said:

My shot in the dark guess? I would say the 5.3 must use a different pickup tube O-ring design.

Same motor from the drain plug to the air box in design. They differ in dimension and cylinder count.  About the same amount of difference between a 5.3 and 6.2 except the keep two quarts of oil and two cylinders. 😉 

The biggest difference between the 6 and it's 8 cylinder cousins is????

Oil viscosity specification! 

😱

Then there is this. WHO buys which and HOW do they use them? Maintain them? Most 6's are ether in fleet service or old guys like me buy them. My shot in the dark guess. 

7 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

I can't imagine what they are going to do to get more mpg's now that let's go Brandon says we need 55mpg in a couple years.

They can mandate MPG. They can mandate EPA. They can mandate NHTSA. They could mandate 'lifetime'  and speed limits/enforcement but won't which would be more effective EPA and MPG wise than all the tech they can muster. 

It's isn't about 'getting it right'. Is it? 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

I was wondering when this would finally happen. The lifters on our '21 Silverado failed at 585 miles and they only replaced them in two cylinders, so I personally am really hoping this is will be a recall for a total replacement with upgraded parts.