2500HD gas mileage

I have a 2020  like yours. Under 60 mph, flat road, no wind, and cruise control I can get a little over 20. Interstate from home in Louisiana to Houston Tx on i10 @ 70mph average about 18. Any headwind will kill it. It does not like town driving either. Pulling my 8500lbs camper at 70 is about 8.5mph. Last time out had a 15 to 20 mph headwind at that was down to 6.5. It’s not much worse than my 1500 4x4 5.3 not towing.

I get around 17.5 on the highway doing 65-70 on rolling terrain when empty. With my 1800 lb popup camper, I get 14.5 to 15 on the same terrain same speed.  I have the stock 18” wheels and Michelin tires. No suspension mods. 

What are gas prices like in everyone's area?  My local gas station has gone up 20 cents in two days and was at $3.83/gallon.  This is a local town gas station...not sure what the higher ends are charging right now.....

10 hours ago, CT Chevy Connoisseur said:

With the leveling kit and 35" tires on 20x10"s I generally get around 11-13.  Less when towing my 30 foot camper but that is to be expected.  As far as the 17-20 mph statements - mine couldn't hit that in neutral going 100% downhill.

I had a trip mileage of 24.1 returning from Mt Rainier to South of Seattle last Fall. Quite a bit of coasting downhill in the first third of the trip and a lot of 50 mph driving. 

12 hours ago, Another JR said:

I had a trip mileage of 24.1 returning from Mt Rainier to South of Seattle last Fall. Quite a bit of coasting downhill in the first third of the trip and a lot of 50 mph driving. 

What about the trip up?  To get a real average you need to check every tank and average out the rare downhill coasting trips and 40mph headwind uphill trips.

3 hours ago, MORSNO said:

What about the trip up?  To get a real average you need to check every tank and average out the rare downhill coasting trips and 40mph headwind uphill trips.

I was simply responding to the person I quoted, who said he didn’t think his truck could hit 20 mpg even coasting downhill. I understand I consumed extra fuel climbing on the way up. 

• Thanks 1

Picked up the truck from the dealership with a full tank of gas, and drove 360 miles from Murray, UT to Winnemucca, NV.  98% of the trip was on the highway with a max speed of 75mph. Filled up, but didn't top off (like TFL does), because I wasn't sure what the dealership did.  Hand calculated fuel mileage as 14.19mpg.  Clear weather, not much wind, temps in upper 40s.

Next day Winnemucca, NV to Roseburg, OR was 450 miles of two lane roads. Nevada speed was just under 70,  Oregon speed limit was a combination of 65mph and 55 mph. Climbed through the Cascades with the highest ascent being 6,100-ish feet, descending into Roseburg which is about 500'.  Fuel mileage was 15.6mpg hand calculated (no top off).  Weather was good until the west sice of the Cascades where it was raining pretty good.

Both legs of the trip I used the cruise control as much as possible (I suck at maintaining a consistent speed without using cruise).

The key to excellent fuel mileage is to drive slow, and only go downhill with a tail wind. :cheers:

I'm very happy with the fuel mileage.  If I can average 7mpg when pulling the 5th wheel, I'll be ecstatic. 🤞

Edited by sheath
forgot weather conditions from Winnemucca to Roseburg
  • Thanks 1

My lifetime avg so far 9k miles is 13.6 I think. Haven't been on any really long highway drives/road trips yet, so mostly just running around at work. 

Edited by apresler
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...