Bose replacements??

The forum doesn't have a section for 2022 model year yet so I'm posting here.

I took delivery of my 22 Denali (refreshed)

And while I'm really liking the truck I'm underwhelmed by the Bose 7 speaker system. It gets loud and the base is decent but It's muddy and the clarity just isn't there. 

I'm guessing this is the same Bose system found in the last model year so hopefully someone has some insight.

Has anyone replaced there Bose speakers and had improved the sound quality? Not interested in swapping the sub but willing to replace the fronts rears and tweeters if it will solve the issue.

Thanks ahead of time!

My Bose sounds good as in my last 2 trucks.  Highs are crisp and lows sound good. Now, this will vary from song to song and recordings of course.  Put the treble and bass all the way up and lower the mid (which is around the 1k frequency) to about 1/4. Too high on the mid range frequencies override the highs and sound like crap. 

With speakers you never want to go above 0 when equalizing. You only want to go under into the negatives or you introduce distortion which sounds muddy and awful.  The bose systems sound awful, and the only way to make them sound good is to swap in aftermarket speakers and amp, which is easier to do with the non bose system due to the propietary connectors and wiring bose uses.  It depends if you are going for warm or bright sound also.  Do you prefer more treble or more bass or a neutral sound?  The Bose systems are a waste especially when you dig into them and realize its literally oem speakers with slight mods and nothing special for a grand with a crap amp and a crap EQ job done by bose for a grand. That $1000 can get you a killer system that would blow away any bose.  No highs or lows must be bose. 

You do realize that 0 on an equalizer is just reference and that anything above or below is just a deviation from that reference. While true, going too much positive from 0 along with too high of volume will increase distortion, simply going above 0 alone will indeed not. Sound is highly subjective to the individual. Where I do not mind my Bose system, someone else will say its terrible and someone else will say its amazing. IMHO the system is just simply ok and better than stock. For the very vast majority, the Bose system will be exactly what they want/require and nothing more. My wife had a Jeep Renegade with a Kenwood system in it. Compared to my truck, it sucked. However, she loved it and thats all that mattered.

• Like 1

2 things to keep in mind:

The front door speakers are only mid-bass

IIRC, all of the speakers are 2 ohm

That said, There are some 3 ohm speakers on the market that can meet midway between the stock 2 ohm and 4 ohm in most aftermarket audio.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:29 PM, Byrds8 said:

You do realize that 0 on an equalizer is just reference and that anything above or below is just a deviation from that reference. While true, going too much positive from 0 along with too high of volume will increase distortion, simply going above 0 alone will indeed not. Sound is highly subjective to the individual. Where I do not mind my Bose system, someone else will say its terrible and someone else will say its amazing. IMHO the system is just simply ok and better than stock. For the very vast majority, the Bose system will be exactly what they want/require and nothing more. My wife had a Jeep Renegade with a Kenwood system in it. Compared to my truck, it sucked. However, she loved it and thats all that mattered.

That guy is a troll.  He rarely knows what he's talking about.

The Bose sounds pretty good for an OEM system.  OP they make a kicker sub that is plug and play for our trucks, I'm sure it fits the 22 too.  It allows the doors to play less bass and cleans them up.  

• Haha 2

On 4/16/2022 at 7:29 PM, Rob Mugs said:

2 things to keep in mind:

The front door speakers are only mid-bass

IIRC, all of the speakers are 2 ohm

That said, There are some 3 ohm speakers on the market that can meet midway between the stock 2 ohm and 4 ohm in most aftermarket audio.

On 4/17/2022 at 9:10 AM, Byrds8 said:

If the Bose speakers are still 2ohm in our trucks, there are a few sets on Crutchfield that have that rating. They are 6 1/2" instead of 6x9 but there are some there.

I have read some others had positive outcomes replacing the door speakers with some from crutchfield. For a few hundred bucks I'm thinking this may be worth a shot. 

For those who enjoy the Bose, that's great I'm glad you like it but for me this isn't the sound quality I expect in a $72k truck. 

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

No massed produced vehicles sound system will be great quality. Thus the after market products.

In general that's true but the Harmon Kardon in my ram limited which I traded for this Denali blew the Bose out of the water. Granted it wasn't perfect but it was worlds better than this Bose system.

5 hours ago, Spavao said:

I have read some others had positive outcomes replacing the door speakers with some from crutchfield. For a few hundred bucks I'm thinking this may be worth a shot. 

For those who enjoy the Bose, that's great I'm glad you like it but for me this isn't the sound quality I expect in a $72k truck. 

Try listening to an LT or SLE sound system.

On 4/16/2022 at 4:29 PM, Byrds8 said:

Yes.  You described what i wanted to say but in better detail.  Morel maximo speakers have always sounded best to me, personally, especially when powered with an amp.