Permanent fix for lifter collapse

I rough guess on parts is $1,200-1,300, which would be the camshaft, lifters, trays, pushrods, gaskets, bolts etc etc. Then there would be labor. I'm not sure what book time would be on it but you have to strip it down to a long block pretty much. Both cylinders heads off, have to drop the oil pan as well. So I'd say a shop is going to charge a couple grand in labor.

Then you have to tune the computer. That's like $700 at a minimum and I'm not sure HP Tuners has released full support for 2022's yet.

If you can do the labor yourself it's a lot cheaper but you also void your warranty which is obvious.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CamGTP said:

I rough guess on parts is $1,200-1,300, which would be the camshaft, lifters, trays, pushrods, gaskets, bolts etc etc. Then there would be labor. I'm not sure what book time would be on it but you have to strip it down to a long block pretty much. Both cylinders heads off, have to drop the oil pan as well. So I'd say a shop is going to charge a couple grand in labor.

Then you have to tune the computer. That's like $700 at a minimum and I'm not sure HP Tuners has released full support for 2022's yet.

If you can do the labor yourself it's a lot cheaper but you also void your warranty which is obvious.

ill drive mine for a minute to see how she behave , if I like the truck I might just do that and upgrade the camshaft to , that would be wicket .

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest disabling the AFM/DFM whichever your truck has. This will reduce the chance for engine failure and save you a lot of time and money. My 2021 Trail Boss 5.3L did not come with AFM/DFM because of a lack of semiconductors so I am no expert on this subject but I have heard good things about the Pulsar LT to disable these systems. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about this issue could chime in and steer you in the right direction. Remember worse case scenario Chevrolet will repair engine damage related to camshaft failure. This is a known problem on the 5.3 and 6.2L.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:53 PM, Bikerjon said:

I would suggest disabling the AFM/DFM whichever your truck has. This will reduce the chance for engine failure and save you a lot of time and money. My 2021 Trail Boss 5.3L did not come with AFM/DFM because of a lack of semiconductors so I am no expert on this subject but I have heard good things about the Pulsar LT to disable these systems. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about this issue could chime in and steer you in the right direction. Remember worse case scenario Chevrolet will repair engine damage related to camshaft failure. This is a known problem on the 5.3 and 6.2L.

That will help, but he will still have lifters that fail in the first place. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/18/2022 at 10:02 AM, z28tranz said:

That will help, but he will still have lifters that fail in the first place. 

I read somewhere that one cause of failure was due to the AFM/DFM and lifter interface...

For the folks that got the $50.00 rebate because your truck does not have the "chip" to make the AFM components function remember that all of those components are in your engine, just not functioning as they were designed to.

There have been and will continue to be documented failures on those components on "chipless" trucks as well as those like mine with the full bag of chips.

As others have mentioned there are kits to replace all of the internals with non AFM components. If I still have my truck and the lifter failure occurs out of warranty I'll spend the money on the "delete" kit. Cost will probably be lower than going with OEM parts that are failure prone and labor is what it is.

• Sad 1