2022 GMC Sierra Limited

Hey Ya'll I am picking up my new 2022 Limited GMC Sierra SLT Crew, 5.3 10 speed next Saturday. Going on road trip right away to test it out. So with this said anything I should be looking for in a new truck with 10 miles on it?

Been hearing and reading horror stories about DFM, engine failures, tranny etc on GM rigs. Any input from others with this truck have experienced.

Have been GM driver all my life from 61 Olds Dynamic 88, 68 GTO, 66 GTO, to 2006 & 2007 Silverados.

Thanks for input.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just drive it, follow GM's maintenance intervals, and enjoy it. Chances are, you'll never have a problem. And if you do, that's what warranties are for.

Congratulations on the new truck and have a safe trip. 

I wouldn't worry about it either. I've owned a 2015, 2019 and my current 2021 all with the 6.2l and either the 8spd or 10 spd tranny with no major problems. There are many more that have no problems than those that have them. Usually people don't post the good things, only if they have issues to try to get help. There's differing opinions but I personally would take it a little easy during break in period, not sure of the trip your taking but I would avoid long stretches of continuous 70-75mph driving until you put 500 or so miles on it. Just one persons opinion.

Enjoy the new truck!

16 hours ago, lryfer said:

Hey Ya'll I am picking up my new 2022 Limited GMC Sierra SLT Crew, 5.3 10 speed next Saturday. Going on road trip right away to test it out. So with this said anything I should be looking for in a new truck with 10 miles on it?

Been hearing and reading horror stories about DFM, engine failures, tranny etc on GM rigs. Any input from others with this truck have experienced.

Have been GM driver all my life from 61 Olds Dynamic 88, 68 GTO, 66 GTO, to 2006 & 2007 Silverados.

Thanks for input.

Let her rip!  I've driven cars off the lot and embarked on a 5,000 road trip the next day.  No issues!

Most of the time a trip was the trigger for a new vehicle. Even pulling rigs. 40 years of letting it rip has never failed. Usually the exhaust shop, the gooseneck ball, transfer tank, toolbox. I remember the first V-10 had undercoating. Where the glass packs were  the undercoating melting off from exhaust heat. Fun times. The second V-10 my father power braking on the test drive. Rubber coating the quarter panels. The salesman wide eyed when we got back. I’ll take it was his response. Yea we break them in real good.

Based on the knowledge of engine builders that I have worked with on various autos, try not to keep the RPM's too steady, prolonged driving at a stationary RPM's is not preferred when trying to get the piston rings to seat and establish a good seal.  Despite what many people say, a good quick romp or two on the go fast pedal is not a bad thing and generates the heat and pressures required to make the piston rings form a good seal.  Just don't hang the engine at high RPMs to the point where its bouncing off the rev limiter.  Vary your RPM's as best you can and let the engine get up to full operating temperature before you shut it down.   

I know it sounds funny but manually putting your truck into a specific gear once warm, and then accelerating to a higher rpm and letting the engine slow you down, is a good way to break in the rings as well.  It varies RPMS, generates adequate heat and pressure, and is easy on the engine.  The key is to very your rpms and loads, don't let it sit at a stationary RPM for prolonged use if at all possible.

Probably the same people who wrote owners manuals on proper vehicle break ins. Told us not to eat salt, egg yokes, meat, bacon and drink diet soda. I don’t follow their advice anymore either. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Probably the same people who wrote owners manuals on proper vehicle break ins. Told us not to eat salt, egg yokes, meat, bacon and drink diet soda. I don’t follow their advice anymore either. 

I'm with you for the most part, on most things.  Its probably the difference between being within 99.0% of the acceptable efficiency rating and 99.1% when it comes to an OEM engine.  However, a break in procedure has never made the engine less efficient or less properly broken in :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

To be fair all of those things are relatively bad for you without moderation.

7 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

To be fair all of those things are relatively bad for you without moderation.

That’s true about everything. The problem was the substitutions were worse. 

its a brand new truck just drive it........dont worry about ****** that hasnt even happened yet, owned 4 new gen GMs and not a single issue with any.....it has warranty anyway

13 hours ago, KARNUT said:

i never have, lol

• Like 1

Thank you to all that have provided input. First drive is from dealership to hotel. Then off for a 350 5-hour trip until next stop. putt around town to see family then another 5-hour 350-mile trip for a tourist stop. Then 8 hour drive next day.

All in all, 3K mile trip right after purchase. So will take it easy for the 1st two days and drive like an old man that I am lol.

Will post pics once i get of course when time permits.

• Like 1