Rear lights added into bumper steps - rigid ignite

2 hours ago, Brent D said:

I don't know Canadian law, but in most states its illegal to have white lights to the rear while in driving.  (obviously not in reverse)

Don’t know either, did this same mod on jeep gladiator and works good. I see guys with their cargo lights left n all the time and make a point to let them know if I can catch up to them. Clearly I haven’t chased down a chev in awhile lol. I think the last one was a Nissan Titan.

With the gladiator the bed light worked regardless of drive mode but maybe because it was a manual?  I was able to fit a rigid sr-m beside license plate vertically with 2375 diffused lumens but this 2000 lumens is a better set up.

Either way it’s handy that have ability to warn others, let high beamers up your but know, laws smaws. There’s a lot of people distracted these days, heck there are dipshits napping on way to work in their Tesla’s now, so those left lane slow downs on high speed routes that come out of know where me not wanting to get hit from behind I was pretty quick with that button to flash those behind me a few times and ensure paying attention tho this impending parking lot on the freeway.

I’m sure it saved a few close calls or worse and the one early start to ice fishing derby in thickest fog ever gave me peace of mind turning that on behind me as the few of us on highway couldn’t see anything and any would be hero assuming no one on road at that time in am going to fast would not have had a chance without that ball of white behind me and again...me worried about that rear ender. 

anyway, hyper aware driver here seeing the future more than many so it had its places to make sure everyone was awake when things about to go sideways

but seems to explain why the dang light won’t work in drive😉

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, 4banger said:

As I procrastinate doing the air bags I decided to tackle the rear lights, I tie them into the bed lights. Rigid ignite diffused flush mounts fit on the flat surface of the bumper steps, they offer 1000 lumens each. Here’s some pics. https://www.rigidindustries.com/ignite-diffused-black-flush-mount-20631.html

150B7D32-C1A0-424F-B7BD-F298E7ED6074.jpeg

A41640A8-3478-41A1-BEAA-5B187C6D9552.jpeg

Great idea and well done!  I didn't realize it would make that big of a difference, now my curiosity is peaked and I might have to do something similar.  Thanks for the write up and electrical tie-ins.

• Like 1

I am camping right now and flipped them on for poops and giggles and they are amazing, cannot get over how much light they put out. Diffused because I want the most light in immediate area behind truck for working on downed game or what have you.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:58 AM, slj2008 said:

How do you guy's like them ?? would you do it agani ??   ANY NIGHT PHOTO'S

Page 1 has the photos, they are brighter than the low beam headlights...by quite a bit.

And yes I would do this on every truck, if someone wrecks my bumper I will pull the lights and put em in the next bumper. One of those mods that once you have...you figure out how to get again...for outdoorsy people doing stuff in the dark behind their truck...great mod!

Edited by 4banger
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, 4banger said:

As I procrastinate doing the air bags I decided to tackle the rear lights, I tie them into the bed lights. Rigid ignite diffused flush mounts fit on the flat surface of the bumper steps, they offer 1000 lumens each. Here’s some pics. https://www.rigidindustries.com/ignite-diffused-black-flush-mount-20631.html

150B7D32-C1A0-424F-B7BD-F298E7ED6074.jpeg

A41640A8-3478-41A1-BEAA-5B187C6D9552.jpeg

How do you tie these lights into the existing reverse lights? I was wanting more light for when I reverse my truck and would like to these lights to come on when I put my truck into reverse.

1 hour ago, jsmith1639 said:

How do you tie these lights into the existing reverse lights? I was wanting more light for when I reverse my truck and would like to these lights to come on when I put my truck into reverse.

I tied mine into the box lights which is manually controlled by the cargo light on the dash. If you want to tie into your reverse lights you'll just have to find which wire is hot in the harnesses under the back end on passenger side where I found the box light wire. Need a dc volt meter. Now, if I need assistance backing up I just turn on the cargo light...but I also want a lot of extra light when I'm in park and working on something behind the truck so I prefer the cargo light tie in...the reverse light tie in would be pretty useless for this outdoorsman. Hope that helps.

Edit. p.s. you'd need a helper keeping foot on brake while it's in reverse or some way to block it so you could take your foot off the brake as you pop the wire harness connectors from my first pic to try and figure out which one might be the reverse light, I could see this being a bit of a challenge as all the brake lights will be hot also, I'd suspect a smaller diameter wire may be used for the back up lights so you may or may not have to splice in and hope you guessed guessed correctly if you find 2 hot wires (brakes/reverse). So maybe you'd need to inquire with someone who knows wiring harnesses and has the diagrams etc. I am able to find the power sources I need myself as in the rear it's cargo/box light tie in and on the front end I just tie my aux. to my high beams so have been able to figure out with my own multi-meter and fiddling about.

Edited by 4banger

On 7/23/2022 at 6:26 PM, 4banger said:

From this harness the blue wire is hot and black is ground. It’s the bed light wire. I like manual control. I use this as much on road to warn people behind me of emergency situations ahead, or brutal fog so I don’t rear ended, or to wake up dicks with high beams on plus field work with downed game or even backing up assistance in dark. Manual control at will is wonderful with button on dash.

A63EF020-4074-45ED-996D-C66C93FEB9F6.jpeg

Did you just use some T-Tap Wire connectors or something similar or was there more to it?

7 minutes ago, bdallas said:

Did you just use some T-Tap Wire connectors or something similar or was there more to it?

I just peel back enough of the outer protective shield and tape then straight up cut that wire a couple inches back of the plug, I generally have some butt connectors around that I cut the inner metal crimpable insert out of and small diameter heat shrink tubing. So strip both ends, then strip an end of the wire you're gonna run to the new lights and crimp it in one side of the stacon, don't forget to slide on your heat shrink tubing before final crimp etc. Follow up with some electrical tape and put the shielding back over it now with a wire peeking out of the slit of the shielding that heads to the new lights. Done a lot of electrical with water well work in the past so pretty familiar with what it takes to keep things sealed up etc. You could probably skip the heat shrink tubing for a little rubber tape chased by electrical tape no prob also. Heck even just electrical tape will likely do the trick. It's a bit of fiddle fartin around but if you're used to working with wiring and keeping things water tight it's pretty straight forward.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4banger said:

I tied mine into the box lights which is manually controlled by the cargo light on the dash. If you want to tie into your reverse lights you'll just have to find which wire is hot in the harnesses under the back end on passenger side where I found the box light wire. Need a dc volt meter. Now, if I need assistance backing up I just turn on the cargo light...but I also want a lot of extra light when I'm in park and working on something behind the truck so I prefer the cargo light tie in...the reverse light tie in would be pretty useless for this outdoorsman. Hope that helps.

Edit. p.s. you'd need a helper keeping foot on brake while it's in reverse or some way to block it so you could take your foot off the brake as you pop the wire harness connectors from my first pic to try and figure out which one might be the reverse light, I could see this being a bit of a challenge as all the brake lights will be hot also, I'd suspect a smaller diameter wire may be used for the back up lights so you may or may not have to splice in and hope you guessed guessed correctly if you find 2 hot wires (brakes/reverse). So maybe you'd need to inquire with someone who knows wiring harnesses and has the diagrams etc. I am able to find the power sources I need myself as in the rear it's cargo/box light tie in and on the front end I just tie my aux. to my high beams so have been able to figure out with my own multi-meter and fiddling about.

4banger, thanks for the info.

• Like 1

If you have lane assist and blind spot monitoring, there is a bit more fitting and trimming to do.  The blind spot radar units sit behind these covers.  It still fits well, it is just no longer a matter of drilling the holes and mounting them.  I wired mine into my backup lights since my oem backup lights don't do a good enough job after lifting my truck.  Thanks for the idea. Makes a world of difference and definitely worth doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JAEDEE said:

If you have lane assist and blind spot monitoring, there is a bit more fitting and trimming to do.  The blind spot radar units sit behind these covers.  It still fits well, it is just no longer a matter of drilling the holes and mounting them.  I wired mine into my backup lights since my oem backup lights don't do a good enough job after lifting my truck.  Thanks for the idea. Makes a world of difference and definitely worth doing.

Pics or it didn’t happen😉👍

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/27/2022 at 1:46 AM, JAEDEE said:

I know this thread is a little old, but how did you mount your lights?  Just "a bit more fitting and trimming to do"?  I have the Rigid Ignite lights as well and I'm still trying to figure out what fitting and trimming I need to do in order to mount them around that radar unit.  Any tips or help on what you did to mount them would be really appreciated.  Thanks.