Z71 package - effect on ride quality, ride height, and/or towing?

Hi, Thanks for all the great info in this forum.  I'm planning to upgrade from my 2005 Sierra HD W/T.   Looking at 2020 GM HD's with gas, crew cab, and long bed.  My primary use will be towing a 26' box trailer with a race car and some around town trips.  I have no plans for any off-road fun or work.  One used truck I'm looking at has the factory Z71 suspension package.  So.... 3 questions:

• How will the Z71 package affect ride quality?  (I'm seeking good highway/town ride)
  • Does the Z71 package raise the ride height vs. standard 2500 suspension?
  • Will the Z71 package affect the highway towing behavior vs. standard 2500 suspension? 

Thanks,  Alfa Georgia

My understanding on the HD trucks, Z71 is just shocks, the hill descent feature and a badge.  Springs and ride height are all the same.  Doubt the differences on the highway would be very noticeable.  

16 hours ago, Njmurvin said:

My Z71 package came with all weather floor mats.  No joke there.  Love them.  And who doesn't love those red badges?

sadly the z71 is a sticker, and floor mats these days in the end.  Ford FX4 is about the same thing except they do offer some appearance features with theirs. 

My first experience with the sticker game was in 2006. I made a deal with my son who was still living at home. I wanted the trailblazer ss. I was driving an 04 Z-71 with 100K miles on it. The deal was he could have the 04 and the payments it was just a couple months from being paid off. When I needed to go on job sites we’d switch. Win, win for us both. What kid wouldn’t want to drive a corvette inspired SUV? During the summer my brother needed help running a job so I drove the Z-71 the whole summer put a ton of miles on it. Traded back and my son was like wait a minute, we need a new Z-71. Driving through town I noticed a leftover avalanche with a Z-71 badge on it. It was a loaded leftover they were dealing. He picked it up, I sign the papers everyone was happy. Several months later I have a new tractor purchase training and decided to take the Z-71. It was Texas hot and didn’t feel like walking. The trailblazer being fun to drive the trade off is your not driving much on pipelines. Halfway to my destination while admiring the interior of the Avalanche it starts raining. I’d usually switch to auto 4WD in the rain. Looking left where the switch usually would be were blanks. My introduction to GMS badge games. At least it had posi. My son knew but he wanted the truck and was all smiles when I got home. 

Just make sure you verify the payload and towing capacity on the door.  Not sure about 2020MY, but the new ones with the Z71 Sport package come with more aggressive AT tires.  These tires, when factory installed, lower your labeled tow rating by 2,000#.  Not sure of your trailer/racecar weight but something to keep your eye on.  The truck wont care, but a over zealous LEO might. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2022 at 11:30 PM, Another JR said:

Not that it affects ride, but i suspect Z71 also includes skid plates like the X31 on GMC. Just guessing though. 

X31 Off-Road Package
Off-Road suspension
Hill Descent Control
Skid plates

the z71 package includes the rancho shocks (junk), hill decent control (pretty useless unless you are offroading and going down steep pitches), and skid plates.

I just bought a truck without it. I have never once used hill decent control and i will replace the factory shocks. i did however, want the skid plates, so i just ordered them from the parts department. 

there will be 0 difference in ride, unless the ranchos and regular shocks have different ride characteristics. otherwise, the suspension is identical

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, geddon_jt said:

Are the factory shocks stiffer or softer than the Ranchos that come with the Z71? Ride comfort is a priority for me and we have a truck incoming that we are interested in that has everything except the Z71 package. Or, is there no discernible difference?

They are stiffer for off-road performance but my wife doesn't complain and cannot tell the difference.  We have trucks with both and they ride about the same to me as well.