Which oil filter, not so simple!

6 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

My top five in this size:

Purolator PL22500

FRAM XG10575

Royal Purple 20-500

AMSOIL EA017

AC-Delco UPR63R

Is that list in order? Amsoil is the podium for me (1-3) then AC and K&N. Fram is walmart brand cardboard filters! 

5 hours ago, customboss said:

Mostly doesn't matter. Change your air filter more often than recommended and the lower fuels dilution of the engine oil will do more for directional improvement to oil and engine condition. Oil filters on our modern GM engines are screen door on a submarine efficient and mostly insurance for stopping a large damaging particle from cleaning out the engine. 

Huh? They are at least coffee filters, not sure what you are trying to get at or say.

Tyler

3 hours ago, C/K Man said:

The PF63E was the old 'E-Core' filter, it has been superceded by the PF63.  The PF63 is improved over the PF63E, but both have the 22 psi relief valve.

The 'Gen. V' V-8's always required an oil filter with a 22 psi relief valve.  The confusion came from the 3.6L V-6's and some of the Ecotech 4 cylinders that originally came with PF48 oil filters (15 psi relief valve) which were changed to the PF 63 and PF64.

I don't think the PF63 fits the Duramax.

Correct. Because of the bad press [engines grenading during high-performance usage when the plastic internals of the oil filter came apart] on the early “e-core” filters (the ones with the part number ending in the letter “E”, with the plastic cages, thin cans, and felt end caps) AC Delco just took the “E” off the end of the part numbers and increased the price by 50%+, thinking we wouldn’t notice and sales would increase. These cheap e-core type filters are junk compared to a quality oil filter like a NAPA Gold, WIX XP, or AC Delco Ultraguard Gold. Scuttlebutt says the “E” stood for Economy and Ease of Recycling. I’d take better Filtering. 

Edited by MaverickZ71

1 hour ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Is that list in order? Amsoil is the podium for me (1-3) then AC and K&N. Fram is walmart brand cardboard filters! 

Purolator PL22500

FRAM XG10575

Royal Purple 20-500

AMSOIL EA017

AC-Delco UPR63R

Yes, pretty much in that order. Purolator PL and FRAM XG according to what data I have accumulated filter the finest. Purolator gets the nod on it's bypass valve spring design. 

Royal Purple and AMSOIL EA are very close to the top two and the PR gets the nod on price almost every time. 

AC Delco UPR is on the list as the OP seems to want to stay with a GM filter and of those filters the UPR is the best construction. 

Purolator BOSS and Mobil 1 don't make my cut as the swap filtration for longevity by using a 'looser' media instead of more surface area. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

6 hours ago, Pryme said:

How often do you guys replace air filter?

About once a year for me. I drive 12K to 25K a year and do it normally after harvest. Dustiest time for the Midwest. I also have two that live in the garage and don't accumulate 10K over several years. They get changed about once a decade.  

1 hour ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Huh? They are at least coffee filters, not sure what you are trying to get at or say.

Tyler

I meant what I said. I tested oil filters from an R&D oil and fuels lab background, with Fleetguard being our subsidiary.  Doesn't matter, if it is at least OEM meeting build.  I run AC PF66 with Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 now and show great results. I would use Amsoil oil filter but can't get them. 

Most of the stuff we all want to filter runs right through the oil filter and stays in the dispersants of the engine oil if its really small or in most of the V8's on here it attaches to heat points in the engine as deposits from fuel. 

Some interesting info here.  A picture of the old AMSOIL EaO20 filter on the left and the updated Ea15k20 on the right.  Grumpy, you should like this.  Look at the micron on each box. 

EaO20.jpg.4abf4c5f8d754bf89dc9a18c4e67ca6d.jpg

Also, here is my empty bottle oil collector.  I can get a full quart over time and I use it in an old beat up mower.

1207069084_Oilcollecter.jpg.8873fc58e336f4af55ce91067eb5b075.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Purolator PL22500

FRAM XG10575

Royal Purple 20-500

AMSOIL EA017

AC-Delco UPR63R

Yes, pretty much in that order. Purolator PL and FRAM XG according to what data I have accumulated filter the finest. Purolator gets the nod on it's bypass valve spring design. 

Royal Purple and AMSOIL EA are very close to the top two and the PR gets the nod on price almost every time. 

AC Delco UPR is on the list as the OP seems to want to stay with a GM filter and of those filters the UPR is the best construction. 

Purolator BOSS and Mobil 1 don't make my cut as the swap filtration for longevity by using a 'looser' media instead of more surface area. 

No I’m open to other brands for sure. I am partial to oreillys for my parts needs as I feel they do a better job over autozone. So that means wix and M1 are available along with ACD. 

I was looking at a review of the microgard select and it looks very good too. 

I’ve used the fram ultra in other vehicles and feel it’s good too. 

5 hours ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Tyler

Fram ultra is nothing like the orange can of death and cardboard. 

I ran wix for years, but now that they are made in Mexico I decided to look at other options (do my best to purchase made in USA). I have been running the PF63s that I purchase by the case from rock auto for around $3.50 a filter. I have cut open several of the newer PF63s and they all look pretty good. I had considered switching to Baldwin B7449, but they are almost double the cost per filter. I don’t know, I may switch over once I run out of these PF63s. 

Food for thought:

iseecars.com says that  only 0.3% of all vehicles sold in the USA go past 300K, 1.2% of all vehicles sold in the USA make it past 200K miles but 95-98% will pass 100K. So...you could also say;

Once past 100K that 98%+ of the remaining vehicles FAIL....

Which begs some serious questions. 

When one says "This motor was designed to use a DEXOS 0W20!",

(for example)

Does that not say... 

"The design is to fail"? 

🤔

• Like 2