Which oil filter, not so simple!

Okay so this is maddening. 

The 6.6 gas calls for a ACD PF63E. Simple right? No. 

it looks like while I’ve been researching that the 63e was made to replace the 63 because it has the 22psi bypass vs the 12psi. Okay seems fine. But it looks like you can’t really find the 63e and that they renamed it back to the 63???!!!

so how does a guy know if he’s getting the old 63 or the new 22psi 63(e)?

also, when checking other brands I noticed Wix has updated their old number of 10575 to 10255, which has the 22psi bypass. 

other brands like fram ultra have the old 10575 still. 

so what do you guys run and is the above info correct?

thanks

Edited by Pryme

1 hour ago, Pryme said:

Okay so this is maddening. 

The 6.6 gas calls for a ACD PF63E. Simple right? No. 

it looks like while I’ve been researching that the 63e was made to replace the 63 because it has the 22psi bypass vs the 12psi. Okay seems fine. But it looks like you can’t really find the 63e and that they renamed it back to the 63???!!!

so how does a guy know if he’s getting the old 63 or the new 22psi 63(e)?

also, when checking other brands I noticed Wix has updated their old number of 10575 to 10255, which has the 22psi bypass. 

other brands like fram ultra have the old 10575 still. 

so what do you guys run and is the above info correct?

thanks

GM just dropped the E designation on it but its still the same filter as the PF-63E, 22psi.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I always change my own oil but I do see the first change and tire rotation is on GM but I’m not waiting until 7500 mi for the first change so I’ll be doing one between now and 1k miles so just figuring out the way to go. 

I know the first service has to be within 12mo. Will they do it whenever the customer wants?

as for filters, I believe the old pn of 10575 for any brand will only have the 12psi bypass. Wix I know for sure has updated theirs. 

Mostly doesn't matter. Change your air filter more often than recommended and the lower fuels dilution of the engine oil will do more for directional improvement to oil and engine condition. Oil filters on our modern GM engines are screen door on a submarine efficient and mostly insurance for stopping a large damaging particle from cleaning out the engine. 

14 minutes ago, customboss said:

Mostly doesn't matter. Change your air filter more often than recommended and the lower fuels dilution of the engine oil will do more for directional improvement to oil and engine condition. Oil filters on our modern GM engines are screen door on a submarine efficient and mostly insurance for stopping a large damaging particle from cleaning out the engine. 

How often do you guys replace air filter?

2 hours ago, nocturnalmotors said:

PF63 P/n 12707246

Use the part number which is 12707246 it is confusing I know.  Also the list from Grumpy is a good one to follow as well.  I change my air filter every 10 to 15k miles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pryme said:

I always change my own oil but I do see the first change and tire rotation is on GM but I’m not waiting until 7500 mi for the first change so I’ll be doing one between now and 1k miles so just figuring out the way to go. 

I know the first service has to be within 12mo. Will they do it whenever the customer wants?

as for filters, I believe the old pn of 10575 for any brand will only have the 12psi bypass. Wix I know for sure has updated theirs. 

https://www.fram.com/oil-filter-xg10575

16-28 psig for this XG10575. 

Two basic types of bypass springs. Coil which is pretty precise. and the spring steel sheet which gives a wider range. The Purolator PL uses a coil the FRAM XG uses the spring steel sheet. 

• Like 1

The PF63E was the old 'E-Core' filter, it has been superceded by the PF63.  The PF63 is improved over the PF63E, but both have the 22 psi relief valve.

The 'Gen. V' V-8's always required an oil filter with a 22 psi relief valve.  The confusion came from the 3.6L V-6's and some of the Ecotech 4 cylinders that originally came with PF48 oil filters (15 psi relief valve) which were changed to the PF 63 and PF64.

I don't think the PF63 fits the Duramax.

• Like 1