new truck 1st OIL CHANGE 500 miles or less

I have this habit every time I buy new car or truck I like to dump the factory filled oil with in the first 500 miles or lass, for a simple reason that the brand new engine might have some excess part braking materials in it, I don't want that to circulate in the motor for 5-7k miles.  so this weekend i'll be changing my oil on my new at4 I like to use the acdelco but the price on that is just crazy, I did research and the gm oil actually is not bad at all its actually way better than some popular brands out there, I'll post a additive package if you know to read it you will see how good the gm oil is, but I will not be using that, I decide to go with a Valvoline Extended Protection , any ways here is the ac delco oil package and the 2nd one is from the valvoline oil. oh and by the way do you dump your 1st oil sooner than you should, or you going full recommended milage b4 you change?

ac delco oil.jpeg

valvoline.png

• Like 1

All mine come with an oil filter so it's not necessary to worry about  " brand new engine might have some excess part braking materials in it, I don't want that to circulate in the motor"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like to do a short first oil change myself. I wasn't able to get it changed in the truck till 1000 miles. On my 02 Camaro SS, I changed it after the 500 mile break in then took it to the drag strip! My first new vehicle was a 2000 S10 Xtreme with the 4.3 V6. I used the free oil change the dealer gave at the first 3000 miles. I was pissed when I did the next oil change myself and saw they put the 4 cylinder filter on instead of the larger one for the V6! The Silverado is only my third new vehicle. All the used vehicles I buy I usually change the oil within 1000 miles of buying it because even if they have a time/date/mileage of when it was changed, I have no idea what brand oil was used or filter until I get under there to change it. Like others have said around here, oil and filters are cheap, engines are not.

• Like 1

I never gave it a thought until I joined this site. My first new vehicle that had extended drains was my 06 trailblazer ss.  Recommend in the manual. It’s first was at 12K miles. After read this site my last new car was a 2017 Camry with a recommendation of 10K oil changes. I asked them about it. Not needed was the answer. My mother in law quit driving her 15 CRV almost 2 years ago. It’s now our trip car. Reading 50 percent on the oil monitor I stopped by the dealer. I found recipes in the glove box nothing on oil changes. I thought they went off at least yearly. No record at the dealership other than a battery change, brake, antifreeze that’s it. It had 7K miles and was 5 years old when we got it. It was a real honest grocery getting never over 40 miles per hour car. The first thing after an oil, transmission fluid changed was a 3K miles out of town trip. It getting ready to hit 37K miles. And the Camry the third generation is driving it with over 100K miles. The same path as my wife’s old 05 Elantra GT my grandson still drives. It gets 7500 oil changes, starting with its first one. If it makes you feel good going early no harm, it’s your money.

Hum.....

I don't care how advanced your machining and metallurgy are, a part with a shape is machined. Many of them start as castings. No one in a production environment cleans them as well as an F1 engine builder. About the only major breakthrough in the last 25 years on this front is the more liberal use of 'slide honed' cylinders. Even that is not unilateral. 

Wear debris is always higher during the 'break in or bedding in'. So between wear in particulate and non NASA/Silicon valley type clean room cleaning and early change is cheap insurance. 

Is there less than say 1955? Yep. And 25 years from now, perhaps even less. Sort of forced on the OEM's by consumers who insist they bear no responsibility for nor participate in the life concerns of their vehicle. :crazy: 

As far as 'circulating' debris. Think this through. Any debris formed in the motor must circulated to be trapped in a filter. What a filter prevents is recirculation and build up. Both size and volume matter.  As the most damaging size is 5 micron, a size a full flow filter will not filter out....dilution/flush, via an oil change is the next best weapon. 

• Like 3

I always get great joy out of people who claim you must do this or your ride will die prematurely. Here this paper proves it. I simply give my soon to be 67 year old experience. I don’t and didn’t say don’t change early. I say I don’t. And I have 2 vehicles over 20 years old, one over 10 and one 7 years old. Gave two to kids and they passed to their kids. One is an 05 Elantra and the other is a 17 Camry. All run great. I only give experience not paper. Now is it possible to make an engine go 400K miles rather than 300K by changing at 1K miles? I don’t care. If I did I’d probably put an electric oiling system in it for start up. I don’t imagine the vehicle manufacturers are in a smoke filled room worried about the early oil change secrets will be exposed. 

I almost forgot it’s been so long. In the 90s we had a wrecking yard. 90 percent of the cars we bought ran. Besides accidents most vehicles that still ran. The cost  of passing emissions was the reason people sold them for scrap. It was cheaper to buy another beater. 

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

As far as 'circulating' debris. Think this through. Any debris formed in the motor must circulated to be trapped in a filter. What a filter prevents is recirculation and build up. Both size and volume matter.  As the most damaging size is 5 micron, a size a full flow filter will not filter out....dilution/flush, via an oil change is the next best weapon. 

There is also the amount a filter can hold before it can no longer hold any more and the oil will just go through the bypass in the filter and not get filtered at all. I use Purolator PureOne filters and found this information about them:

It filters 99.9 percent @ 20 microns.  PureONE provides the highest Micronic filtration efficiency in the aftermarket. The majority of PureONE filter sizes achieve a maximum holding capacity of 3 –13 grams of microscopic contaminants (13 grams is equal to 31 standard size paper clips) including dirt and metal shavings

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I always get great joy out of people who claim you must do this or your ride will die prematurely. Here this paper proves it. I simply give my soon to be 67 year old experience. I don’t and didn’t say don’t change early. I say I don’t. And I have 2 vehicles over 20 years old, one over 10 and one 7 years old. Gave two to kids and they passed to their kids. One is an 05 Elantra and the other is a 17 Camry. All run great. I only give experience not paper. Now is it possible to make an engine go 400K miles rather than 300K by changing at 1K miles? I don’t care. If I did I’d probably put an electric oiling system in it for start up. I don’t imagine the vehicle manufacturers are in a smoke filled room worried about the early oil change secrets will be exposed. 

Kind of why you are always in the 'Dog House" Stan. Didn't say Must or Else.

DID I? 

Guy drives home drunk as a skunk for about 30 years and never hurts a soul. Can I conclude drunk driving is safe even in the face of the statistics that say otherwise. What ya think Stan. Empirical evidence a sound basis for make decisions? :idiot:

I really hate it when people LIE about what people say to make a point that has no legs of its own.

Back in the house ya go.

I've never cut anyone as much slack as I cut you and you never fail to disapoint.

😡

• Like 1

many people are doing this, I'm sure its ok if you don't , but I like to do it, plus I want to upgrade my oil filter with wix XP also I love the Valvoline Extended Protection if you look at the additive package up in the original post looks great, I also have this oil in my wife new Cherokee L and is performing great, right now I am at 260 miles, by next weekend ill be little over 500, and the new oil is going in.next is change will follow at total miles of 2500, next will be at 5000,and after that every 5k, and hopefully I will have a strong healthy   running v8 for a long time. cheers from MICHIGAN !!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Kind of why you are always in the 'Dog House" Stan. Didn't say Must or Else.

DID I? 

Guy drives home drunk as a skunk for about 30 years and never hurts a soul. Can I conclude drunk driving is safe even in the face of the statistics that say otherwise. What ya think Stan. Empirical evidence a sound basis for make decisions? :idiot:

I really hate it when people LIE about what people say to make a point that has no legs of its own.

Back in the house ya go.

I've never cut anyone as much slack as I cut you and you never fail to disapoint.

😡

How ironic, you accuse him of lying about what you said as you make the assumption his post was in response to yours. 

• Like 1

It’s amazing that people claim the dealers are in it for the money. I never had one tell me to bring it early when it was new to get the contaminated oil out. Think of the money left on the table. My Toyota dealer recommended bringing my Camry in every 5K miles. Still recommend 10K oil changes. I was there already. Not one person would have passed buying one if they suggested changing the oil every visit. As far as being in Grump’s box. My hopes and dreams aren’t tied to his approval. 

6 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

It’s amazing that people claim the dealers are in it for the money. I never had one tell me to bring it early when it was new to get the contaminated oil out. Think of the money left on the table. My Toyota dealer recommended bringing my Camry in every 5K miles. Still recommend 10K oil changes. I was there already. Not one person would have passed buying one if they suggested changing the oil every visit. As far as being in Grump’s box. My hopes and dreams aren’t tied to his approval. 

I don’t understand why you have problems with this bro do what make you happy, i like wrenching on my ****** , i wil do what i want, and I will share it with everyone on here ,  you can start you own thread and say when I buy a new car i never change my oil ever there is no need everything is new no need to oil change, , America is still mostly FREE we can do what ever we want 😂🤷🏻‍♂️ happy sunday from Michigan 😏