Question for Trail Boss Owners

I have a 2021 RST trim level 1500. I am looking at the GM Factory/Trail Boss 2" lift kit. I know there is better less expensive options, but I want the factory warranty. My question is about the Rancho shocks that come in the kit. I've seen some comments that these shocks are basically just terrible. Any truth to this? Does the Trail Boss ride and handle like ******? Anything positive to these Rancho shocks?

Edited by Diamond817

Rancho shocks is the correct name.  They are known for off-road performance suspensions etc.  When I was looking to get a new truck in 2021 the salesman talked me into test driving a trail boss.  A couple miles of driving and my mind was made up, No thanks.  My main concern was harder to get in and out of and a rougher ride and aggressive tires.  While many like those features, its not for me.  I would not rely on what I read on the net as most are just opinions (like mine) that have no basis in reality.   People hate the tires, they hate the shocks, they hate this, they hate that etc. Yet they fly off dealers lots, so obviously some have the opposite view.

Edited by elcamino

1 hour ago, silveradosid said:

any shock is got to be better than what comes stock on the RST, first mod i did on my RST was to change the shocks. i just had a ride in a new trail boss with the rancho shocks and thought it rode quite well considering it has duratracs

Interesting take. I actually find the stock RST shocks to be an excellent ride.

2 hours ago, Diamond817 said:

Interesting take. I actually find the stock RST shocks to be an excellent ride.

If the RST has the Z71 package it has Rancho shocks. Be interested to know if @silveradosid has the z71 package

I had an RST with z71 and the Rancho shocks sucked. Yeah, that’s my subjective opinion but there are a TON of people who share it with me. 

I also had Rancho shocks on other vehicles and they were all crap. Bad ride, the shock bodies always rusted quickly, and it wasn’t long before they leaked. I’ll never buy another Rancho product based on my own experience. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AEmedic said:

I had the TB kit installed on my 20 High Country and really like it.  I also had a leveling kit added to the front and like the look and ride of my truck, no issues.

Good looking stance there.

21 hours ago, AEmedic said:

I had the TB kit installed on my 20 High Country and really like it.  I also had a leveling kit added to the front and like the look and ride of my truck, no issues.

CAN YOU TELL US WHAT LEVEL KIT YOU WENT WITH, SO MANY OUT THERE!

I have the Z71 package that came with Ranchos, but the Z71 Ranchos are different than the ones that come on the TB/AT4....Single Tube vs Monotube.  The TB/AT4 Rancho shocks are better than the Z71 Rancho shocks, but marginally, and I don't know anybody that owns a Z71 or TB that installed Eibachs or Bilsteins without noticing a HUGE difference in the handling characteristics of their vehicle. 

Aftermarket shocks can void your suspension warranty, but the only portion of the suspension on your vehicle that ever requires warranty work are the shocks, which you are replacing anyways, so who cares?

Despite me loving my Eibach lift(50K+ miles and still feels like new), I found the stock Z71 Ranchos to be a VERY comfortable ride, just extremely inadequate for any type of mild off road driving which resulted in them leaking and needing to be replaced at 20K miles.  Again, the Ranchos were very comfortable on the highway, but just about any aftermarket shock will perform better than the stock Ranchos if you are doing any type of off mild off road driving (rutted dirt roads, pastures, fields, national forest roads, etc.).

Like "Traction" mentioned above, the TB Ranchos are an "OK" shock, but they definitely fall short of the moniker attached to the truck they are installed on.

Edited by Gangly

On 11/14/2022 at 8:56 AM, Gangly said:

I have the Z71 package that came with Ranchos, but the Z71 Ranchos are different than the ones that come on the TB/AT4....Single Tube vs Monotube.  The TB/AT4 Rancho shocks are better than the Z71 Rancho shocks, but marginally, and I don't know anybody that owns a Z71 or TB that installed Eibachs or Bilsteins without noticing a HUGE difference in the handling characteristics of their vehicle. 

Aftermarket shocks can void your suspension warranty, but the only portion of the suspension on your vehicle that ever requires warranty work are the shocks, which you are replacing anyways, so who cares?

Despite me loving my Eibach lift(50K+ miles and still feels like new), I found the stock Z71 Ranchos to be a VERY comfortable ride, just extremely inadequate for any type of mild off road driving which resulted in them leaking and needing to be replaced at 20K miles.  Again, the Ranchos were very comfortable on the highway, but just about any aftermarket shock will perform better than the stock Ranchos if you are doing any type of off mild off road driving (rutted dirt roads, pastures, fields, national forest roads, etc.).

Like "Traction" mentioned above, the TB Ranchos are an "OK" shock, but they definitely fall short of the moniker attached to the truck they are installed on.

Interesting... I have Ranchos and my window sticker listed "twin tube shocks", is that better or worst?

I mistyped the above quote.  Ranchos come in TWIN tube and mono tube.  The monotubes are generally regarding as being the superior shock.  My Z71 (as all non-Trail Boss Z71's do) had twin tube Ranchos and though they rode good on the highway, they didn't last 20K miles.

Wow so many opinions here. So here is my two cents. The Rancho shocks on my Trail Boss work well, the ride is good for me. Are there better shocks available? Of course there are. Are they more expensive? Of course they are. I would recommend the Trail Boss lift kit. If you don't like the Ranchos you can always upgrade.

Just my two cents. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 1:07 PM, Bikerjon said:

Wow so many opinions here. So here is my two cents. The Rancho shocks on my Trail Boss work well, the ride is good for me. Are there better shocks available? Of course there are. Are they more expensive? Of course they are. I would recommend the Trail Boss lift kit. If you don't like the Ranchos you can always upgrade.

Just my two cents. 

Consider your 2 cents counted 👍.

• Thanks 1