In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Speed Limiter

On 12/7/2022 at 9:01 AM, Scooby1974 said:

The idiot is the one doing 65 on a 75 holding back two semies , a minivan and a SUV on a two lane country road.

You must be the Idiot who does this same crap!!!

Give me your address so I can send you $5 so you can get a pair!!!

I lived in Texas a decade. I've traveled your roads. 

Talladega's back straight is 4,000 feet long. A car traveling 200 mph is coving that distance at 293.3333 feet per second taking 13.64 seconds to do so. A car passing him at 205 mph covers that distance in 13.33 seconds covering 88.88 more feet in the straight than the car being passed or four car lengths. Fact is that pass can and is made with a speed difference of 3 mph. 

You have a guy doing 65 and you need 105 mph or a 40-mph difference to feel SAFE making that pass? 98 isn't enough?

Anyone trying to pass two semis a minivan and an SUV in a single pass.... tell ya what. You've got bigger problems than your speed limiter. And balls won't fix this....  :idiot:Try something under your hat....

• Like 4

I don’t mind doing 60-65 behind a semi in a 75. 50-55 I’m going where it’s safe. I’m going on 67 and driven over 2 million miles so I’m not just lucky. I drove a million pulling a fifth wheel with 3/4-1 tons trucks registered for 25K. No accidents I ticket. I driven 36 hours from Texas to NJ when I was under 40 a few times. Most of my rides were modified. When I pass you usually can see my toes wiggling pass the fire wall on two lane roads. I ain’t waiting I’m going. Some of my rides would break the tires down shifting at 60 going around you. My pipes would alert you if you were napping. It’s that’s too much pull over or do the speed limit. I have patience for semi and blue hairs. Every one else not much. Going slow doesn’t make a person noble. You just a dead at 55 as 70. Put down the phone and pay attention. 

• Like 1

On limited access super high ways not 2 lane country roads where farmers can pull out with a combine. I have never been to west Texas but that would be something I would have in the back of my mind passing a line of cars at 100+mph

Edited by richard wysong

33 minutes ago, richard wysong said:

On limited access super high ways not 2 lane country roads where farmers can pull out with a combine. I have never been to west Texas but that would be something I would have in the back of my mind passing a line of cars at 100+mph

I’ve roaded my clearing equipment all over Texas and Oklahoma. You sit very high and go very slowly in comparison. You see things coming at you far away and you pull over. I don’t think many people pass a line of cars at a time. I wouldn’t do it. You’re what if machine could go until the end of time. What would happen if a plane was having trouble and needed to land. They started dumping fuel. It happens to hit your outside fire pit that you’re sitting by and enjoying. Next thing you know you’re running around on fire from the flaming spray. What if. 

I understand that and the reason to pass whatever as fast as possible and get back in the lane. Just  as Grumpy stated  that speed seems excessive but I'm not in Texas so gonna leave it alone. What was the question?😆

• Haha 1

Scooby, I like your style but have to disagree about the speed. Doing 100+ mph on the freeway is dangerous because of the crazy drivers, even if you can see way out in front and to the sides, but doing that on a country road invites big trouble from the stray deer, dog, or farm animal. You may not be the problem but you aren't alone out there. BTW, you are one of the few that understands that pickups are really limited in speed by the driveshaft although, your government does control your top speed for the tires you have too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rad64 said:

Scooby, I like your style but have to disagree about the speed. Doing 100+ mph on the freeway is dangerous because of the crazy drivers, even if you can see way out in front and to the sides, but doing that on a country road invites big trouble from the stray deer, dog, or farm animal. You may not be the problem but you aren't alone out there. BTW, you are one of the few that understands that pickups are really limited in speed by the driveshaft although, your government does control your top speed for the tires you have too.

I understand everyone's concern about driving at that high speed....

I am a safe driver with a Skill to drive... It's not how fast you go but how you control your speed...

At 22 years old i got a job that required me to drive from 6 hrs up to 19. Today at the age of 48 i have a lot of drive time.... Have seen a lot and have been lucky from accidents but i never do anything that i am not Sure i can do... So if i need to floor it to keep moving , it will get done.

Its a skill!!

I drive 4 mph over a speed limit but i am not following a convoy at 50 for 30 minutes.

Just saying!!!

On 12/8/2022 at 11:33 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I lived in Texas a decade. I've traveled your roads. 

Talladega's back straight is 4,000 feet long. A car traveling 200 mph is coving that distance at 293.3333 feet per second taking 13.64 seconds to do so. A car passing him at 205 mph covers that distance in 13.33 seconds covering 88.88 more feet in the straight than the car being passed or four car lengths. Fact is that pass can and is made with a speed difference of 3 mph. 

You have a guy doing 65 and you need 105 mph or a 40-mph difference to feel SAFE making that pass? 98 isn't enough?

Anyone trying to pass two semis a minivan and an SUV in a single pass.... tell ya what. You've got bigger problems than your speed limiter. And balls won't fix this....  :idiot:Try something under your hat....

If you were to be by the road and i carry your butt to the hospital you would not think how fast or slow your traveling...

I am Very well capeable of flying a jet!!

On 12/8/2022 at 7:17 PM, KARNUT said:

I’ve roaded my clearing equipment all over Texas and Oklahoma. You sit very high and go very slowly in comparison. You see things coming at you far away and you pull over. I don’t think many people pass a line of cars at a time. I wouldn’t do it. You’re what if machine could go until the end of time. What would happen if a plane was having trouble and needed to land. They started dumping fuel. It happens to hit your outside fire pit that you’re sitting by and enjoying. Next thing you know you’re running around on fire from the flaming spray. What if. 

What if??

If i think how you do, i would stay home in a fetal position and starve 

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 4:18 PM, Amcguy1970 said:

I live in Texas, point me to these two lane back roads that is anywhere remotely better than a highway that is not under construction (construction zones don't count).

So, you couldn't wait four miles to pass? We have plenty of animals to hit as well as rogue live stock that may get out, I see that many of times. 

Your truck has always been 98mph, nothing has changed. Probably best honestly.

Tyler

I know of several in the N.Tx area.  FM730 running from Weatherford to Azle comes to my immediate mind. Hell even 1810 running through Decatur and Chico.