Hard Folding Tonneau Cover Opinions

Hey all,

I had an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 on my first truck that I have had in storage. I replaced it with an Extang Xceed Low profile folding - it leaked too much after many adjustments, so I put the Solid Fold on and now it seems to be leaking from the outer hinges. 

What do you recommend for a hard folding tonneau that is as waterproof as possible? Any remedies to make an existing more water resistant?

Thanks

20 hours ago, Moose0814 said:

Hey all,

I had an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 on my first truck that I have had in storage. I replaced it with an Extang Xceed Low profile folding - it leaked too much after many adjustments, so I put the Solid Fold on and now it seems to be leaking from the outer hinges. 

What do you recommend for a hard folding tonneau that is as waterproof as possible? Any remedies to make an existing more water resistant?

Thanks

I am on my third roll-x..well now it's called BAK Revolver X4S Tonneau Cover...  IMO they provide a good balance of security, water tight and visibility out back window if you don't have the camera mirror.  I get a little water intrusion at back by the tailgate but I haven't been worried about it.

• Like 1

I have an Undercover Ultraflex. Nice cover and all, but i have a lot of water intrusion. I haven’t cared all that much, there are a number of things that could be done to reduce that but it’s a shame to have to come up with solutions on your own for a $1000+ cover. I know none of them are really water tight but there are some WTF points on this cover that I feel they could have designed a little better.

If I was purchasing again I think I’d try a backflip MX4. They look a little nicer. The advantage the Ultraflex has over the MX4 is that the final hinge point is closer to the cab, so the cover doesn’t stick into the bed as far. I can actually load my full size dirt bike without removing the cover (corner to corner), I don’t think I would be able to do that with the mx4. Also that the Ultraflex doesn’t rest against the cab when fully open like the MX4. 

I have the Gator hard tonneau on my 21. I think it is actually made by Undercover. If you buy from Realtruck.com, they will usually discount the price for you through a chat session. It has been pretty good with keeping out water so far. the foam extrusion they provide for install is pretty thick stuff, but I am not sure how long it will last. I may look to replace it this spring if it looks like it is starting to dry.

• Like 1

I have the factory hard folding cover and it's been great. I get very minor leakage around the back tailgate in car washes and heavy rain, but its very minor. When we go out of town we load everything in the bed and don't worry about it. Even when it's rained, it's been very minor drops at the gate. 

On 12/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, 99NCAA said:

I have the Gator hard tonneau on my 21. I think it is actually made by Undercover. If you buy from Realtruck.com, they will usually discount the price for you through a chat session. It has been pretty good with keeping out water so far. the foam extrusion they provide for install is pretty thick stuff, but I am not sure how long it will last. I may look to replace it this spring if it looks like it is starting to dry.

I also have a Gator. Really like it. I have owned several over the years. They all leak. Some just worse than others. The only leaks I have with the Gator is in the very corners. Has not cause me any issues as it just drips right down and out of the drain holes in the corners of bed. Everything still stays dry inside bed. I just don't put anything in the corners of the bed that I might not want a few drops of water on. Center stays completely dry between wheel wells. 

• Like 1

My low profile rough country tri fold stayed bone drove on our 1600mile drive this week. Drove through a rain and snow storm. If you're military or prior they have a discount that can be applied over the phone. Supposedly it's a lifetime warranty.

20221209_160241.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 11:25 AM, Moose0814 said:

Hey all,

Thanks

Have you tried replacing the seals? its kind of a pain but will get it back to the way it was 

I started out with a Gator soft roll up as it was cheap.  Upgraded to the Gator EFX hard fold and it was a really good cover.  I decided to change out for one that would give me full bed access so I stepped up to the BAK MX4.  I was very unimpressed with the MX4, it was built very cheaply compared to my buddy who had an MX4 that was a few years old.  Overall the Gator EFX I replaced was a better cover that I should have kept.  I got rid of the MX4 it and went with a Lomax Stance in carbon fiber.  I'm loving the Lomax.  Lightweight, water tight except for at the tailgate which will eventually be remedied once I install a tailgate seal.

On 12/27/2022 at 1:05 PM, ThatredneckguyJamie said:

Have you tried replacing the seals? its kind of a pain but will get it back to the way it was 

I am going to order them soon and replace! the foam bumps have to be replaced as well. thanks!!

• Like 1

I had the Bak Flip on my 2019, and had the dealer install the Rev on my 22 Refresh Denali before I picked it up.  They are the same design, and both have been relatively leak free.  The Rev has a better seal across the front of the bed than the Bak Flip did.

Edited by SPASierra