As the title indicates, I am looking into different scan tool for my 2019 GMC Sierra 1500. I have a Mac Scout 6250 that I bought for a very good price a few years back and it is a great tool, but the software is out of date, and it will cost $1,099.00 to update it to 2023. It will not read my truck without the update. I started researching and found the BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone & Android, and the INNOVA 5610, OBD2 Bidirectional Scan Tool. Both offer repair solutions and suggested fixes and link up to a cell phone. Any thoughts or user experience with either of them? Recommendation on what you are using. If I update my Mac tool it will update the diagnostics and the repair database on the tool. After the subscription runs out, I will lose the repair database, but the diagnostics will remain. I have thought about updating the Mac 6250 and at the end of the year buying the Bluedriver for $119.00 to get access to the free repair data included. The Mac tool can do bidirectional testing and procedures. 

https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluetooth-Professional-iPhone-Android/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3EMUQKG8QOAUO&keywords=bluetooth+scan+tool+obd2&qid=1675002991&sprefix=bluetooth+sca%2Caps%2C228&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/5610-Bidirectional-Lifetime-OE-Level-Functions/dp/B07Z481NJM?&linkCode=sl1&tag=validconsumer-20&linkId=dd7a9d3e9df36d4b9d963b31aa28c7a9&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl#customerReviews

31 minutes ago, silveradosid said:

if you dont mind using a laptop, vcx nano for gm. gives you gds2 and you will have all functions

I did a search and read reviews on it, and it seems pretty sketchy at best. I do not think I want to chance it after reading reviews of all the issues with malware and problems getting it set up and running. Have you used this program?

I have been using Autoenginuity for a number of years. Happy with it. The OBDII connector does Bluetooth or USB cable. I have there software on my laptop and have it on my Iphone. Annual subscription after purchase isn't too bad. If it runs out I can still use it on my laptop just no updates. The Iphone app if I recall stops working without a current subscription. I bought the a bundle package that supports Ford, Chrysler/Jeep and GM. I don't recall what the bundle is called. I have not used it on my 2022 Silverado ZR2 as yet. No need as yet.

https://www.autoenginuity.com/

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Since I already have a very good Mac Scout 6250 scan tool, I might be better off buying the latest update subscription. It is good for one year and will allow free updates to the tool database during that time. The sub also includes one year of access to the Mac repair source repair database. There are a total of nine vehicles in my family that I can use it on so I think I can defiantly make use of it. The only time I would need to update again is when one of us buys a vehicle newer than the subscription date. Most of the scan tools out there do not come with a repair database. I checked with Mac on the added features and tests that the latest update will provide, and it looks like it will do anything I could ever need. Seems like the best long-term solution. Gotta think on it some more.

I use the OBDLink MX and the OBDLink SX for analysis and active monitoring.  The MX is bluetooth and allows for unlimited vehicle make and models with free updates.  By far the best OBD Scanner and diagnostics aide I have ever used.  Also includes diagnostics for manufacture and vehicle specific systems.

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 2

I was thinking of posting a thread on this yesterday. I'm looking for something more than just a reader. I want something that can control and test functions from the tool, like what a shop would use. I'd also like something that can read BCM codes as none of my scanners can do. The dealer said my truck had a bunch of BCM codes, but I don't know what they were. I have a feeling it was from when I tried to install a 3rd party extended range remote starter. Some of what I found on ebay were $3K or more! I'm hoping there's a cheaper alternative.

I am trying to decide if I should update my Mac scan tool or put it up for sale and just buy something like a BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool. I doubt I will need a full featured scanner until my truck gets a little older. I bought the extended warranty for it because of all the possible lifters and transmissions problems so I should be worry free for a few more years. TheBlueDriver will allow me to check for trouble codes and help keep the dealers honest. 

16 hours ago, Tom Hoshock said:

I am trying to decide if I should update my Mac scan tool or put it up for sale and just buy something like a BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool. I doubt I will need a full featured scanner until my truck gets a little older. I bought the extended warranty for it because of all the possible lifters and transmissions problems so I should be worry free for a few more years. TheBlueDriver will allow me to check for trouble codes and help keep the dealers honest. 

Well, I finally made up my mind. I decided to update my Mac ET6250 Scan Tool. The update will allow me to download software updates for one year from the date of activation so I should have some 2024 diagnostics on before the sub runs out. I am anxious to get the update installed so I can check for any codes in the history.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2023 at 12:21 PM, Gangly said:

I use the OBDLink MX and the OBDLink SX for analysis and active monitoring.  The MX is bluetooth and allows for unlimited vehicle make and models with free updates.  By far the best OBD Scanner and diagnostics aide I have ever used.  Also includes diagnostics for manufacture and vehicle specific systems.

I second this. The OBDLINK MX+ allowed for OEM functions. If you have a diesel you can even monitor and force regens.

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful advice. I have the latest update ordered for my Mac ET6250 scan tool so as soon as it comes in, I will run a scan on my truck to see if there are any codes in the history. I felt that since I already had a high-end tool the update was the best way to go. When I bought the tool a few years ago I got a good deal on it as the Pawn shop that had it did not know what it was worth.

• Like 1