6l80 getting hot when at idle

Hello I have a 2018 Silverado (6l80) I’ve recently had my transmission rebuilt along with a billet converter installed about 6 months ago. Truck runs fine but I’ve noticed my temperature get up to 200-220 when at idle. Once I hit the road it drops down between 170-190, when running on the highway I’m at 150-170. I’m also running a sure cool for the thermostat. Any idea why it would get up to those temps during idle ? 

A17B3AF2-B214-4634-AC1D-56FE277FB2A2.jpeg

EF59F5AA-8D0C-43A4-B8C7-0E7ED602929D.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Yep, no air flow through the cooler. 207 F water thermostat and around a 215 F fan kick in.

No air, no cooling. 

So that would also cause the transmission to heat up? Would you recommend anything ?

1 hour ago, Arturoej8 said:

So that would also cause the transmission to heat up? Would you recommend anything ?

Do you have a need to idle that long? If it's running, drive it. 

If you must idle forever and a day I'd fit it with a Derale cooler (or similar), that has a thermostatic fan. 

Derale Performance | The leader in performance cooling!

If you are driving on the highway or in city traffic and begin idling it is normal for the temps to jump up for a bit and then the temp will come down.  

What temperature is your Sure Cool set for?  Is the billet converter smaller than 300mm and a higher stall than stock?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bottom line. Your truck is fine. Modify a bad habit stop idling for a half hour plus without a darn good reason and realize that when shutting down is not possible, like stuck in crawling accident traffic, this is what happens. Change fluid more often and use a more heat resistant fluid. AMSOIL or Red Line. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 7:32 PM, rlcole321 said:

Better check and make sure you don't have a restriction in the trans cooler system, did the previous trans/converter failure dump metal into the system? did you flush thoroughly?

Yea it did bad converter caused the pump failure. Mechanic said he did I since then moved states so I’m kind of stuck with being able to return and have him check it out. The truck runs perfect I just don’t like the temperature it’s getting up to. Previously on the original transmission I pulled a 2010 Toyota Tacoma half accross the country and my Temp stayed at 200. I just ordered the mishimoto trans cooler I’ll be installing it next weekend hopefully that helps. 

On 3/24/2023 at 9:54 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Bottom line. Your truck is fine. Modify a bad habit stop idling for a half hour plus without a darn good reason and realize that when shutting down is not possible, like stuck in crawling accident traffic, this is what happens. Change fluid more often and use a more heat resistant fluid. AMSOIL or Red Line. 

I recently ordered a mishimoto transmission cooler and hope that helps. Also recently dropped the pan and replaced fluid and found small amounts of debris on the magnet. 

975F2463-CA63-44AB-8B31-83E66134E9CA.jpeg

On 3/24/2023 at 9:54 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I recently ordered a mishimoto transmission cooler and hope that helps. Also recently dropped the pan and replaced fluid and found small amounts of debris on the magnet. 

7 hours ago, Arturoej8 said:

Looks fine. No 'glitter'. Some shmuck is always on the magnet and that bit of black is normal clutch wear debris. You will like your cooler. 😉 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1