Someone please explain to me...

Could someone please explain to me, why my parking sensors go off and alert me every time a little twig or stick is sticking out of the ground somewhere in the vicinity of my truck, yet they fail to alert me when an 8" concrete reinforced steel post is directly in front of them?!  Additionally, could someone please explain why hitting said post at 2-3 mph causes roughly $4,000 worth of damage?!  I think it's absolutely ridiculous that I spend north of $65,000 for a truck whose bumper can not withstand a 2-3 mph impact without causing that much damage.  I realize that I should have been paying closer attention, but the post was in my blind spot.  I never saw it.

Damage.jpg

47 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Don't your backup cam work??

Blind spot?

It was in a parking lot and I was using my rearview and sideview mirrors instead of the backup camera so that I could see possible oncoming traffic easier out of my peripheral vision.

Sensors are a driving aid, not to be fully relied upon. Wait until auto braking puts the brakes on hard for the invisible man like I've had happen in my '20 Traverse HC. Now turned off after that incident and off in my Silverado.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, repairman54 said:

Sensors are a driving aid, not to be fully relied upon. Wait until auto braking puts the brakes on hard for the invisible man like I've had happen in my '20 Traverse HC. Now turned off after that incident and off in my Silverado.

I've heard of a similar issue happening with Teslas in a specific tunnel at a specific spot in California.  There's already been a serious multi-vehicle crash because of it.  Fortunately, my truck didn't come with all that fancy stuff.  The result of getting towing mirrors on my Trail Boss.  I did add front and rear cameras via GM Accessories for recording driving in the event of an accident, however they don't have control of the vehicle.  They only sound an alert if it thinks I'm too close to the car in front of me.  They also seem to alert me to some (not all) school zones and traffic cameras. 

Edited by Transient

On 4/21/2023 at 6:33 AM, repairman54 said:

Agree.

Last weekend, while walking in the Home Depot parking lot, a guy in a new F-150 almost ran me over while backing out. His camare and/or sensors should have clearly detected me. He profusely apologized and said neither his camera nor sensors indicated anything. Damn Fords! :(

I use my backup camera more as I get older along with mirrors. I’ve had one too many neck strains tying to see everything. By turning around to look. There’s one device that’s been on automobiles forever. I look at them when there’s no choice but to walk behind vehicles. Backup lights. A great warning device. Getting run over by someone backing up could fall under the category of. It may be the drivers fault, but you’re dead if you get run over.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 2:05 PM, Jethro71 said:

Could someone please explain to me, why my parking sensors go off and alert me every time a little twig or stick is sticking out of the ground somewhere in the vicinity of my truck, yet they fail to alert me when an 8" concrete reinforced steel post is directly in front of them?!  Additionally, could someone please explain why hitting said post at 2-3 mph causes roughly $4,000 worth of damage?!  I think it's absolutely ridiculous that I spend north of $65,000 for a truck whose bumper can not withstand a 2-3 mph impact without causing that much damage.  I realize that I should have been paying closer attention, but the post was in my blind spot.  I never saw it.

Damage.jpg

I just purchased a chrome bumper for $150 (if I remember correctly) a few weeks ago off Facebook Market place.  The only damage you have is to the bumper so purchase a new one and transfer the sensors and plastics over yourself, its easy peasy. 

6 hours ago, Gangly said:

I just purchased a chrome bumper for $150 (if I remember correctly) a few weeks ago off Facebook Market place.  The only damage you have is to the bumper so purchase a new one and transfer the sensors and plastics over yourself, its easy peasy. 

That thought has crossed my mind, or at least some other after-market bumper that's cheaper than the OEM one.  While it isn't readily apparent from the picture, I did sustain a fair amount of damage in my rear quarter panel from it getting pushed in by the bumper that is beyond my ability to fix.

12 hours ago, Jethro71 said:

That thought has crossed my mind, or at least some other after-market bumper that's cheaper than the OEM one.  While it isn't readily apparent from the picture, I did sustain a fair amount of damage in my rear quarter panel from it getting pushed in by the bumper that is beyond my ability to fix.

I apologize, I didn't see the fender damage.  Good luck with getting it fixed. 🍻

• Like 1