2023 build quality. Mexico vs USA

3 hours ago, Gangly said:

BB68.....sad, straight to insults because you got your panties in a twist over words of truth.

I've spent months at VARIOUS automobile manufacturing plants, doing claim damage and engineering function assessments.  But by your logic, I should know some random butt-buddy of yours named Trent?  How ignorant, just like your post.

But based on your reply, and since you've been to plants too(I'll assume multiple plants though I probably shouldn't), you should be able to tell me the last name of my contacts as well, so lets give it a try...

Oliver _______ ?

Francisco _______?

Moises _______?

Maybe you see the idiocy of your statement by now?  I doubt it.

I wonder if you just assume that all other countries are inferior, regardless of the codes, standards, and practices implemented with international manufacturing and distribution?  Are you offended at the idea that someone of a different race or nationality can do work as good as a "good ol' boy" American?  Do you not believe that proprietary technological platforms, regardless of where they are implemented, perform equally well regardless of the latitude and longitude coordinates they are located at?

Common sense alone would get you to the point of understanding that nobody is hand welding frames anymore, no body panels are being formed and shaped by hand, and no upholstery is being cut, conditioned, steamed, perforated, dyed, etc. by hand anymore.  

Though common sense gets you there, I'm guessing it is your pride that is keeping you from accepting that something in Mexico is built equally as well as something in America, even though it's an American company that designed it and is having it built to their quality standards.  After all, no new designs or technology can be better than a big, bad, American, '68 big block Chevrolet, built right here in the good old U. S. of A., right BB68?  :eyeroll:

I didnt read your ramblings and I am not a union promoter but per your first response  to imply that union(which is predominately white) labor equals poor craftmanship is ridiculous  

2 hours ago, BB68 said:

I didnt read your ramblings and I am not a union promoter but per your first response  to imply that union(which is predominately white) labor equals poor craftmanship is ridiculous  

Wow, now you're bringing race into this? 

I never said that automobile manufacturing union work, by default, is of poorer craftsmanship, and I definitely did not imply that individuals of specific races do inferior work to other races.  You alone have implied that the location of work being performed makes a difference in the end product even when technology, regulations, and standards are the same, and you alone have mentioned race when comparing craftsmanship.  

An individual's ethnicity and geographical location do not determine the individuals capability, and it's somewhat mind boggling when people still continue to buy into that falsehood.  It's the desire to learn, the tools, and the technology at an individuals disposal that determines capability, and GM provides the same tools and technology to its Mexico facilities as it does its American facilities, while maintaining the same regulations, standards, requirements, and expectations of quality.  

This topic has taken a spin away from the OP's initial intent, and for that I apologize.  I will no longer comment on this post and I hope that the OP truly enjoys his/her new truck.  Congrats on the great purchase!

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1

Etymology. Pre-Judice; from the Latin, prior judgment. Preconceived opinion. 

1903. What today will match this upholstery and coachwork? Worry less about somewhere else and more about what greed has done to craftsmanship EVERYWHERE. 

Bill Ford Jr. Buys World's Oldest Ford To Celebrate Great-Grandfather's ...

Look at the horn on this thing. Low tech? Absolutely and the best low-tech horn that could be produced. Hey, it even worked! Now its computer generated and maybe it works, and cost is what compared to the original? Progress? :crackup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Etymology. Pre-Judice; from the Latin, prior judgment. Preconceived opinion. 

1903. What today will match this upholstery and coachwork? Worry less about somewhere else and more about what greed has done to craftsmanship EVERYWHERE. 

Bill Ford Jr. Buys World's Oldest Ford To Celebrate Great-Grandfather's ...

Look at the horn on this thing. Low tech? Absolutely and the best low-tech horn that could be produced. Hey, it even worked! Now its computer generated and maybe it works, and cost is what compared to the original? Progress? :crackup:

In 1974 I bought a new barracuda for 2900$. Today I would have add AC for just a little more. That’s 18K and change in today’s money. You can’t even order one with bare bones equipment. Recently the local dealership had a base challenger for 29,999$. The alternative for a kid on a budget is a Chevy Spark. That just isn’t right. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this few week old thread, but got some personal experience to share.  I've driven GM trucks since 1999 with multiple Silverados and one Sierra.  For whatever reason, every truck since a 2001 Silverado (6 trucks total) have been built in Silao.  In June of this year I purchased a 2023 RST that was built in Roanoke, Indiana.  I was sort of excited to have an American built Chevy truck.  This is the part I hate to say....new truck has had two body fitment issues in its first month. I never had anything similar on any Mexican built truck.  Passenger front door was way out of adjustment. (I had my local body guy fix that) and the hood latch was approx 1/4 inch too low to where it had to be slammed to close; I fixed this one myself.  Also the truck pulled to the right on straight level pavement.  Local dealer did an alighment where it was way out of spec from  the factory.  By the way it was a Wednesday truck so nowhere near the weekend.  All in all these are small and correctable (and they've been corrected) issues and I really like the new 2023, but I can honestly say that I've had fewer "out of the box" issues with Mexican built GM trucks.

Edited by foghorn23
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Foghorn! Good to hear for sure, not your experience with Roanoke but the Silao variant. I’ve got about 450 miles on my  new Mexican 2023 Sierra 1500. I’m super happy with it!  I’m looking closely but having a hard time complaining about this one. The drive is awesome! Super smooth, quiet, and powerful. The only things I’ve noticed so far are VERY minor:

-The all terrain Goodyear tires were slightly off balance. Luckily discount tire offers a lifetime R&B plus road hazard protection on new vehicles for a reasonable price. It’s smooth as butter after receiving a proper balancing. 

-The tailgate doesn’t always drop when I press the button. Sometimes it hangs in the upright position. I’m not too concerned about it. Never really liked all the fancy tailgating anyway. 
-Door jamb placards. Now this kind tics me off🤣. They are not anything like lined up square. They were slapped on in a hurry, tilted at 40 degrees! Kinda funny, but slack for sure!
Hey, I’ll take a tilted sticker all day long if the truck performs mechanically 💪

Definitely hope your US truck turns out to be fabulous!!!!!!

Edited by Jimbeau

My last three trucks have all been Silao built and they all looked good and performed perfectly. I am waiting on another Silao built Trail Boss that I expect to be another great truck. I would make your dealer straighten or replace those door jamb stickers when you get that tailgate looked at or on your first oil change.

After receiving all the positive feedback about the Silao plant I’m not worried a bit now. It was definitely a shocker at first but that concern was based on nothing other than me being unfamiliar and overly cautious. Glad I started this thread though. At that time I hadn’t actually purchased the vehicle yet and could have still swapped it for something else. 

Maintenance:

My dealership probably won’t see this truck again. They are out of state. I basically had no choice but to go abroad to purchase. The deal completely smoked all the local dealerships and I was able to find one with damn near everything I wanted on a truck. Even got more than I expected in some respects. No regrets buying out of town. That dealership was awesome. 

With that being said, I kinda hate to bring it in locally unless necessary, being I purchased elsewhere.
I don’t mind changing my own oil. The tailgate will probably be a simple fix. I just need to look at it closer when I have the time. I tried to pull the door jamb sticker back for straightening but it quickly became obvious that it’s made to tear upon removal. Not a big deal.

• Like 1

I've had numerous vehicles (Silverado's and Tahoes) built in Mexico over the years and have not had any noticeable issues, at least to me.  I'm in the process now of trading my 18 LTZ in for a new 2024 LTZ, which happens to be built in Roanoke.  I hope my good fortune continues from the USA assembly as well.

As far as the crooked door jamb sticker, a heat gun or decal/adhesive remover would allow for that sticker to be removed.  The dealer/body shop should be able to handle this if it bothers you.  They would even be able to obtain duplicate stickers if necessary I would think.  

Edited by outrag1

They have built the Tahoe and Yukon at Arlington Texas since 1998, Escalde since 1999 (1st Year for Cadi SUV). Before that it was built in Janesville Wis.

Edited by elcamino