New here.... considering a switch from Ford F-350 to GMC 3500

10 minutes ago, gascantx said:

Awesome - thanks for the feedback.  I was not aware of Scanguage.   I am going to have to investigate that more.   🙂

Make sure you look at the scan gauge 3. It’s leaps and bounds more advanced than the 2. 

• Like 1

The speed is going to be displayed on the HUD so you dont even need to look at the gauges for that. You wont get numbers on your gauges but you can fully configure what gauges you do see (with the exception of boost). You can have a minimalist dash with very little displayed or every gauge it's capable of (along with tire pressure which I care about way more than boost when I'm towing). I don't care if it's a number or a blip; in the middle of E/F, L/H, C/H is good enough for me. It does display DEF level. You can use the scroll wheel on the steering to scroll through other available data which is displayed in the center of the pod (under "Trip 2" in the pic). Attached pic is how I have it configured. 

dash1.jpg

Edited by madweazl

The Ford vs. Chevrolet debate is akin to the Apple vs. Android one.

At this point you can't really say one is significantly superior to the other, but they are different. 

The software is where they will be most distinguishable. 

The fundamental truck functions will be so similar non fanboys probably wouldn't discern any perceptible advantages of one vs. the other.

As for us fanboys - you're only going to get biased opinions.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My .02 as someone that recently came from a competing brand( although this is not my first GM rodeo)

1) I see no negatives to the IFS front end. I remember back in the late 80's when GM started putting IFS in the front of trucks. Up in the north east where i lived everyone said you cant hang a plow on it, it will never be strong enough, etc, etc. Well none of those fears ever turned out to be true in reality, all the fears were coming from a point of something new and different that i dont understand vs reality.... The torsion bar IFS setup is pretty tried and true at this point, GM has only been using it for over 30 years now in HD trucks. In the context of a 3500 im quite impressed with how mine rides unloaded.

2) This is one of my personal biggest disappointments with my truck. The RAM i traded on this truck had a myriad of data that i could configure on the info center. This truck not so much, GM could do so much better and i think they missed the mark on what truck people would want on the dash. My wife for instance could care less about any info, all she needs is a speedo and indicator lights if there is a problem, she is not really a truck person. She just drives it. I like to monitor everything going on especially when towing and for my preferences as a long time truck owner this setup is lacking. My biggest gripes are that i cant see what gear the transmission is actually in as well as things like oil pressure are on a bar not actual numbers. I see a Banks iDash in my future once they release the gauge pod for the 2024. I really want a gear indicator as well as numbers for oil pressure, coolant and oil temp and knowing the regen cycle would be nice too. Def level is available, its just a bar type gauge and fine for its purpose.

3) Nope cant be changed. It is backwards from my old RAM and other vehicles i have owned in the past including other  GM trucks. I can tell you in use i have not noticed it being on the other side at all. I look down and see whet i need. Until now its not even something i spent any time thinking about, that's how invisible its been to me.

4) Not sure on this one but i would not be surprised if it was hard to reprogram it or even impossible. Its a constant game of cat and mouse with car makers, they simply do not want the end consumer making changes and are constantly making it more difficult.

5) So far so good. We are Apple users and car play over wireless has worked perfectly. I only have a couple of gripes with he infotainment. First is the car play not being full screen. I know it can be done on a screen of this aspect ratio but GM chose to make us constantly have this sidebar of worthless info. I also HATE the google integration. I simply don't use it and never will yet it asked me at least once a day to log into my google account. They need to rip that crap out and just let us use our phones like we all do, at the end of the day its redundant when everyone pairs a smartphone to it. I also wish they would make the side camera come on on screen with the turn signal all the time not just when there is a trailer attached. i feel like my dually has some blind spots on the right side and having that on all the time would be a big benefit.

1 hour ago, nitro882 said:

My .02 as someone that recently came from a competing brand( although this is not my first GM rodeo)

1) I see no negatives to the IFS front end. I remember back in the late 80's when GM started putting IFS in the front of trucks. Up in the north east where i lived everyone said you cant hang a plow on it, it will never be strong enough, etc, etc. Well none of those fears ever turned out to be true in reality, all the fears were coming from a point of something new and different that i dont understand vs reality.... The torsion bar IFS setup is pretty tried and true at this point, GM has only been using it for over 30 years now in HD trucks. In the context of a 3500 im quite impressed with how mine rides unloaded.

2) This is one of my personal biggest disappointments with my truck. The RAM i traded on this truck had a myriad of data that i could configure on the info center. This truck not so much, GM could do so much better and i think they missed the mark on what truck people would want on the dash. My wife for instance could care less about any info, all she needs is a speedo and indicator lights if there is a problem, she is not really a truck person. She just drives it. I like to monitor everything going on especially when towing and for my preferences as a long time truck owner this setup is lacking. My biggest gripes are that i cant see what gear the transmission is actually in as well as things like oil pressure are on a bar not actual numbers. I see a Banks iDash in my future once they release the gauge pod for the 2024. I really want a gear indicator as well as numbers for oil pressure, coolant and oil temp and knowing the regen cycle would be nice too. Def level is available, its just a bar type gauge and fine for its purpose.

3) Nope cant be changed. It is backwards from my old RAM and other vehicles i have owned in the past including other  GM trucks. I can tell you in use i have not noticed it being on the other side at all. I look down and see whet i need. Until now its not even something i spent any time thinking about, that's how invisible its been to me.

4) Not sure on this one but i would not be surprised if it was hard to reprogram it or even impossible. Its a constant game of cat and mouse with car makers, they simply do not want the end consumer making changes and are constantly making it more difficult.

5) So far so good. We are Apple users and car play over wireless has worked perfectly. I only have a couple of gripes with he infotainment. First is the car play not being full screen. I know it can be done on a screen of this aspect ratio but GM chose to make us constantly have this sidebar of worthless info. I also HATE the google integration. I simply don't use it and never will yet it asked me at least once a day to log into my google account. They need to rip that crap out and just let us use our phones like we all do, at the end of the day its redundant when everyone pairs a smartphone to it. I also wish they would make the side camera come on on screen with the turn signal all the time not just when there is a trailer attached. i feel like my dually has some blind spots on the right side and having that on all the time would be a big benefit.

On the last item, you can solve that with a trailer dummy plug.  Something I'm considering making up for this same reason.  That camera view is nice.

On the gauges, have you checked out the Torque app?  A Bluetooth OBDII dongle is like 15 bucks and you might be able to see much of this information on there.

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

On the last item, you can solve that with a trailer dummy plug.  Something I'm considering making up for this same reason.  That camera view is nice.

On the gauges, have you checked out the Torque app?  A Bluetooth OBDII dongle is like 15 bucks and you might be able to see much of this information on there.

I have seen commercial dummy plugs. I have not done any research on what it would take to make one myself. I just dont get why GM didn't make it available from the factory. The hardware is all there, they just needed to code it. Heck my wifes 2021 Hyundai that cost like 1/3rd of this truck had this feature standard.

I know all about the torque app too. Not into paying a monthly fee to use it, its crippled otherwise and i also dont mount my phone so its viewable while driving. It generally goes into the wireless charger slot and stays there. I would much rather have something permanently mounted and the iDash is a nice compact solution and something i could build off of it i wanted to add a pedal monster of a Banks tuner.

2 hours ago, nitro882 said:

I have seen commercial dummy plugs. I have not done any research on what it would take to make one myself. I just dont get why GM didn't make it available from the factory. The hardware is all there, they just needed to code it. Heck my wifes 2021 Hyundai that cost like 1/3rd of this truck had this feature standard.

I know all about the torque app too. Not into paying a monthly fee to use it, its crippled otherwise and i also dont mount my phone so its viewable while driving. It generally goes into the wireless charger slot and stays there. I would much rather have something permanently mounted and the iDash is a nice compact solution and something i could build off of it i wanted to add a pedal monster of a Banks tuner.

Unless they've changed it, Torque should be one time fee.  I paid for the full version 5 years ago and haven't paid anything since.  I know what you mean about the phone though.  You'd need a separate phone, at which point, you may as well just use something dedicated.

3 hours ago, nitro882 said:

I have seen commercial dummy plugs. I have not done any research on what it would take to make one myself.

Harbor Freight has test plug for $4 that will allow the turn signal camera mode to be active. Works very well!

4 hours ago, nitro882 said:

I tried one of those and it did not work on my 2024

Ok. I know they work on the pre-24 HD trucks. Probably due to the new electrical architecture on the refresh. Maybe someone will have an updated test plug for you soon, or you can rig something up.

Edited by ShotgunZ71

Only comment I will make is about the fuel tank relearn, I installed the Titan 60 gallon tank on my 22 and also have an Edge CTS3 which I use for extra info on truck.  The stock fuel gague does not register close to what the Edge is seeing, but the DTE is sometimes way off, but you get to realize that the last tank I was unloaded and not Im pulling a trailer its going to go down and after a little bit the computer recalculates and corrects the DTE.  :jester:

On 9/7/2023 at 12:59 PM, nitro882 said:

Great info sir.  Your comments on the gauges and information about the truck is exactly how I feel.  Ford has spoiled me with the information and the ability to customize it with with Forscan.