Home made wood ramps

I am using homemade 6-inch tall wood ramps (2x10 pressure-treated lumbar from Home Depot) for oil change because mine is LT (no factory or aftermarket lift) which barely gives me space to crawl underneath the truck. I ended up making these after reading many bad reviews about plastic and even steel ramps. Just want to make sure these woods are strong enough to lift our trucks? Is putting some Jack stands with them overkill or good for backup? What system(?) are you guys using to lift Silverado for self-maintenance? Also, can anyone recommend a decent bottle jack that I can use for CR-V with the ground clearance of 6.7 inches as well? Thank you.

Edited by Interleukin6
  • Like 1

When I was using wooden ramps they were similar to these.

The steps on mine were shorter -- but longer steps should let the ramps work for vehicles that have lower approach heights.

See related image detail. Homemade Car Ramps - HomemadeTools.net

I did NOT bevel the ends of each board like these (and they worked fine without the bevel)

Zero concern about strength since the boards are flat on top of each other. 

I'd get a hydraulic floor jack and jack stands instead of a bottle jack for the CR-V.

Might be able to find one that will lift the truck too -- and then lower truck onto jack stands before getting under it. 

Ramps can be a nuisance to crawl around gain access under the truck. 

If you want to do tire rotation at oil change time ramps aren't gonna work.

• Like 2

redwngr is right. First of all always use jack stands any time you are underneath a vehicle. This is not overkill. You really should get yourself a proper hydraulic floor jack and jack stands. They wll pay for themselves if you are doing your own oil changes or other service work. 

• Like 1

For oil changes I have no problem using my plastic rhino ramps I had had for years, still always place jack stands on the frame or k member. 

For all other work which requires wheels off the ground. Go buy yourself a high lift hydralic floor jack. The best jackstands on the planet are the esco flat tops with rubber pads. https://esco.net/product/3-ton-performance-jack-stand-pair/

Edited by jaxcam02
  • Thanks 1

2x on the Rino ramps. The 10k rated ones. Been using them for years on my old Yukon and Tahoe and no issues on the first oil change on my Silverado. Safe and secure. Put it in 4 low and all the trucks just creeped right up on them. 

• Like 1

I have the plastic Rino ramps also they work great and can stack them together plus their light and store easy. 

I never used jack stands yup I was dumb until I was changing the brakes on my father-in-laws truck years ago and had it jacked up with a hydraulic jack doing the front and all the sudden the truck drop all the way down slowly and that woke me up, went out and bought a new jack and jack stands. But I did use a brick if I had to get under the vehicle before but not anymore jack stands from here on out.

21 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

I have the plastic Rino ramps also they work great and can stack them together plus their light and store easy. 

I never used jack stands yup I was dumb until I was changing the brakes on my father-in-laws truck years ago and had it jacked up with a hydraulic jack doing the front and all the sudden the truck drop all the way down slowly and that woke me up, went out and bought a new jack and jack stands. But I did use a brick if I had to get under the vehicle before but not anymore jack stands from here on out.

2x crap happens. I have an old friend who had to jack a car off his father when a jack failed, and it dropped on him. 

Sadly his father did not make it. 

Always use a jack stand, it only takes a minute to toss one in there. 

The only time I use ramps was for oil changes and at home. I always had access to a shop that had heavy duty jacks and stands.  Being my whole family was (is) car enthusiast we usually would work on toys together. As far as any vehicle falling off a stand if a tire was off a vehicle it was under the vehicle too. I did have one vehicle fall off ramps as I was driving up. I caught the edge, my fault. Never used them again. I saw it as a sign.