Dual Battery Setup

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 chevz7194

chevz7194

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

I have been looking at several forum posts and internet sites trying to find a dual battery setup that will work for my situation, but am having trouble figuring out which one to get. I guess isolators wont work with my truck so Im lookin at a battery separator. I have a NBS 07 Sierra 2500 6.0L. Im looking for a dual battery setup that can be charged via alternator and separate from the main starting battery but can be switched over and used to start the truck if my main battery is drained. I dont have any accessories I use just would like a second battery for starting purposes only. Which system would be best? What has brought this on is, since I have owned my truck, on two occasions I have went out to my truck to go to work and found the truck flat dead. No lights nothin. I have read of battery drain issues and the dealer cant find anything wrong. So Im looking at a second battery option.

#2 tanked_darren

tanked_darren

Industrial Mechanic

• 2,334 posts
  • Drives:2007 GMC SIERRA, 2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

Not sure if you have a classic truck or not because some people say NBS and NNBS anyways take a look at this thread:

http://www.gm-trucks...hl=dual battery
2007 GMT-900 GMC 1500 W/T 4.8L V-8 2wd auto 4L60E, 3.23 gear ratio
Reg. Cab, 6'6" Box, BLACK
Added myself: GM fog light kit, DIC panel, OGM-1, Camera Source Back-up Cam, Sirius dock.
Added otherwise: Leer Canopy. Linex bedliner+over-rail.
2001 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door, 2.2L OHV, 4T40e, Kenwood Excelon 9990HD, Sirius dock, Bass Car! Gas saver for work as well.

#3 chevz7194

chevz7194

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Not sure if you have a classic truck or not because some people say NBS and NNBS anyways take a look at this thread:

http://www.gm-trucks...hl=dual battery

Its style they switched to in 07 from the "classic" style.

#4 Popeye77

Popeye77

Enthusiast

• 42 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

I was going to do that to my 08 1500 SLT but the dealer told me it would damage the alternator. Something about (sensor) picking up too much load and shutting off charging???
2011 Sierra SLT,Crew Cab,Storm Gray,Z60,HD Trailer Pkg,backup camera,trailer brake (integrated)

#5 8.1HD/ALLISON

8.1HD/ALLISON

Senior Truck Tweaker

• 2,612 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Drives:04 K2500HD

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

I installed mine myself. See this link. my dual battery setup

backhoe6_zps0cfc8c15.jpg
You want fuel economy? Buy a Prius.... I have a big block!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Chevy Silverado K2500 HD CCLB, 8.1L/Allison, 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs,
B&W hitch, Whelen 6 channel strobe lights, Soundoff Signal Mini Light Bar,
Dual Flowmaster Super 44's, BlackBear Tuned, Too much to list,

#6 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

The easiest by far isolator:

http://www.perfectsw...ifier-isolator/

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#7 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

very quick install of the powergate:
http://www.perfectsw.....astics v1.pdf

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#8 chevz7194

chevz7194

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

I was going to do that to my 08 1500 SLT but the dealer told me it would damage the alternator. Something about (sensor) picking up too much load and shutting off charging???

I was wondering about that too.

#9 MS03 2500

MS03 2500

Enthusiast

• 161 posts
  • Drives:2003 Chevy Avalanche 2500

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

Posted Image

I know a guy who uses this Harbor freight 10 bucks.

http://www.harborfre...itch-66789.html

Edited by MS03 2500, 11 January 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#10 chevz7194

chevz7194

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

Im looking for a way to "self-jump-start". The best system I found so far looks like the Hellroaring BIC-95300B but its pricy. Id be looking at 350-400 by the time its all said and done.

#11 K3LA-6.2L

K3LA-6.2L

Formally known as 06z71silvy

• 1,712 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Drives:2012 Silverado LTZ w/6.2L

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

If you dont have any accessories i dont see the point in getting an extra battery... If anything replace the underpowered oem battery with an odyssey :(

Since i put mine in, its nothing but pure power for my accesories! If you are just running your truck with it, it will be overkill but you will never have to worry about killing it!
Traded my 2006 Silverado in!
I now own a 2012 Silverado LTZ w/ 6.2L!
Upcoming modifications include Nathan Airchine K3LA Train Horn. & many other mods!

Posted Image

#12 Popeye77

Popeye77

Enthusiast

• 42 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

If you dont have any accessories i dont see the point in getting an extra battery... If anything replace the underpowered oem battery with an odyssey :(

Since i put mine in, its nothing but pure power for my accesories! If you are just running your truck with it, it will be overkill but you will never have to worry about killing it!

I was going to run my lights and 12V fans off of it from my camper shell (off the second battery)
2011 Sierra SLT,Crew Cab,Storm Gray,Z60,HD Trailer Pkg,backup camera,trailer brake (integrated)

#13 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:26 AM

Im looking for a way to "self-jump-start". The best system I found so far looks like the Hellroaring BIC-95300B but its pricy. Id be looking at 350-400 by the time its all said and done.

Um, yeah, that what this system does... look at the animation. When cranking, both batteries are used. when charging, both batteries are charged. when discharging, battery "b" (aux battery) is usually discharged unless you simply hook up all of the electronics to battery "a" (primary battery) and never put a load on battery "b" (aux battery).

http://www.perfectsw...ifier-isolator/

price for that is $300 last time I checked.

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:

#14 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:26 AM

Posted Image

I know a guy who uses this Harbor freight 10 bucks.

http://www.harborfre...itch-66789.html

This could work too....

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:

#15 chevz7194

chevz7194

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

Good point. Those are good batteries. Far better than the stocker. The only reason Im thinking dual batteries is because of the battery drain issue ive been experiencing and others have to. My dealer cant figure out what is causing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users