Just picked up a new '16 2500HD Crew 4x4 6.0 Gas

Congrats. The 6.0 is a great engine but I hope you budgeted a lot of money for fuel. If money is an issue, you don't want the 6.0 but the flip side is they sell dirt cheap.

I never understood that logic.

Duramax option is about $10,000

Given the savings, id pay for almost 6 YEARS worth of fuel for the gasser. Also, diesel is typically a buck more a gallon, and the diesel dosent get that great of mpg.

Unless you're really pulling heavy, and often, the diesel #s dont crunch.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that "logic" is called "trying to be the ultimate one upper"!

I like the gas engine and bought a gas truck, I can work on it, can pull all I will ever buy, and don't talk shit about Diesels.

I like both Diesels and Gas trucks, and made it clear this truck was an upgrade FOR ME.

Some people on the net are just dicks...

I wish it did work but it's hard to make the numbers work on the diesel. 6.0 probably cheaper in the long run. Plus another $10k on top of a $50k truck is a little hard to swallow. I'd love to have the diesel some day though.

Well, the way they have monkeyed with diesels the last 10 years, I have lost virtually all interest is buying a diesel in a personal vehicle or pickup again. I dread the day coming that I will have to replace my commercial truck. I am going to try and keep it going longer, including just rebuilding the engine or doing a factory reman crate replacement. They have complicated diesels both on the engine and downstream with all the nonsense to the point where they hardly seem worth the effort. I guess that was their intention, and it has worked for many of us.

Problem is, they also keep wanting to mess with gas engines the way they have with diesels now, just in different ways but still screwing up a good thing. Oh, they are neat at first, but when problems arise, boy to they ever. Getting harder to find anything that really appeals to me anymore. Was recently taking a peek at what is around for a replacement to the wife's Cadillac CTS which is almost 12 years old. It still is a fine car and runs good, but it will need replaced one day. After an afternoon of looking around at various makes and models, I shut the computer off and walked away. There was nothing being made that I had any interest in spending money on, from any manufacturer. On a couple that did get my interest, I then went to user forums on those vehicles to dig deeper and decided they weren't worth the money.

Maybe if they finally come out with the OPOC engine, I might get motivated again.

65 on the freeway in the southern U.S will get you run off the freeway. I go 2 MPH over and hardly pass anyone. I think 70 is about right. I hated the double nickle days.

BS in spades! I run 65 max everywhere in the U.S. and I have racked up 6 million miles of both personal and commercial driving and have yet to be involved in an accident in over 45 years. My Cadillac, my pickup, my semi, it doesn't matter. The vase majority of commercial heavy trucks are governed at 65 mph or less, so if one is running faster than that, they may be staying closer to the regular traffic flow but are constantly having to adjust speed and change lanes to get on down the road around the trucks. Especially since it seems that traffic always moves in packs. I find 65 very comfortable and relaxing. I am not having to mess with much of anything and I let everyone else flow on down the road past me. And I always get where I need to in plenty of time.

Oh, I take that back..... a major drug king pin in KC one time was racing down the road, slammed into a pickup with a 5th wheel trailer that had just passed me only by a few feet, and that crash caused him to veer over and slam into my deer guard on my semi. That put him in the hospital in critical condition and I drove home. I didn't know who he was, but was curious why the state troopers were so dog gone nice to me at the accident writeup....smiling and joking with me. They didn't tell me then, but my insurance adjuster (to replace the deer guard) let me know later... I had done their job for them.

Settle down a little it was a joke with a bit a truth to it. As far as trucks govern at 65, some not most. I've done plenty of traveling and hauling myself and been past by plenty of trucks going 70 plus on interstate 10 and 20 where the speed limit is 70 and up. Big trucks only going 65 that's a good one.

BS in spades! I run 65 max everywhere in the U.S. and I have racked up 6 million miles of both personal and commercial driving and have yet to be involved in an accident. My Cadillac, my pickup, my semi, it doesn't matter. The vase majority of commercial heavy trucks are governed at 65 mph or less, so if one is running faster than that, they may be staying closer to the regular traffic flow but are constantly having to adjust speed and change lanes to get on down the road around the trucks. Especially since it seems that traffic always moves in packs. I find 65 very comfortable and relaxing. I am not having to mess with much of anything and I let everyone else flow on down the road past me. And I always get where I need to in plenty of time.

Oh, I take that back..... a major drug king pin in KC one time was racing down the road, slammed into a pickup with a 5th wheel trailer that had just passed me only by a few feet, and that crash caused him to veer over and slam into my deer guard on my semi. That put him in the hospital in critical condition and I drove home. I didn't know who he was, but was curious why the state troopers were so dog gone nice to me at the accident writeup....smiling and joking with me. They didn't tell me then, but my insurance adjuster let me know later... I had done their job for them.

Yes, most. Almost all fleets have their trucks governed at 65 or less. Call up any fleet you want with 500 or more trucks and find out for yourself. Insurance, fuel costs, and other reasons for doing so. Only some small fleet operators and individual O/O's still have their trucks opened up more. Mine will hit 103 mph in top gear at 1600 RPM if I let it. I run around 65 max because I like keeping more of my money, not spending more of it than I have to on tires and fuel.

Next time your in the Houston area give me a shout out I'll follow you on the freeway we'll see. I've seen hunt brothers trucks going a little slower than most, that's about it. Texas use to have two speed limits, one for trucks one for cars 70-65. They eliminated the truck speed limit, wasn't being followed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a lot of travelling in the former job, I can echo what Cowpie said that most are governed. During the gas spike of 2008, when diesel was $5/gal; that's when I noticed almost every company truck immediately governed to less than 65mph...fuel savings was that driver.

Insurance reasons are typically limited to the really large outfits (the fleet Fed Ex, UPS, Schneider, Roadway, etc.)...

Only recently have I seen them opening them up to 70mph on the east coast, and that's because a lot of states have increased their speed limits.

I haven't seen a big truck run over 70mph in a long time, I used to chase them across I80 when travelling to the parents...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I did a lot of travelling in the former job, I can echo what Cowpie said that most are governed. During the gas spike of 2008, when diesel was $5/gal; that's when I noticed almost every company truck immediately governed to less than 65mph...fuel savings was that driver.

Insurance reasons are typically limited to the really large outfits (the fleet Fed Ex, UPS, Schneider, Roadway, etc.)...

Only recently have I seen them opening them up to 70mph on the east coast, and that's because a lot of states have increased their speed limits.

I haven't seen a big truck run over 70mph in a long time, I used to chase them across I80 when travelling to the parents...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

When we had a sleeper team killed a year or two ago big brown's telematics showed they were doing 72mph when they slammed into the flatbed parked on the highway with no lights on. Some of the package cars I've driven couldn't even hit the governor whatever it was set at and I had an empty truck. No clue how the real guys did it during the week fully loaded. Some of the older gassers hit 85 no problem. Still amazes me at how inconsistent the package cars are.

Next time your in the Houston area give me a shout out I'll follow you on the freeway we'll see. I've seen hunt brothers trucks going a little slower than most, that's about it. Texas use to have two speed limits, one for trucks one for cars 70-65. They eliminated the truck speed limit, wasn't being followed.

Hunt Brothers? Try JB Hunt, Schneider, Knight, Swift, Prime, CFI, US Xpress, Crete/Schaeffer/Hunt transportation (these 3 the same company), and the list goes on and on. You are talking about a wanna be compared to these major players. Most of the LTL and air freight guys like Fed Ex, UPS, Yellow/Roadway, Conway, etc are in the same 65 mph or less game. I deal with all the major carriers everyday. We have a common term for when these guys try to pass each other.... it is called a "turtle race".

Hunt Brothers? Try JB Hunt, Schneider, Knight, Swift, Prime, CFI, US Xpress, Crete/Schaeffer/Hunt transportation (these 3 the same company), and the list goes on and on. You are talking about a wanna be compared to these major players. Most of the LTL and air freight guys like Fed Ex, UPS, Yellow/Roadway, Conway, etc are in the same 65 mph or less game. I deal with all the major carriers everyday. We have a common term for when these guys try to pass each other.... it is called a "turtle race".

Some of those must have figured out how to make them go faster. I'm retired now and make across country often to my condo in myrtle beach from Texas, I don't see very many trucks going 65 MPH. I usually run 72 once I get out of Texas (75 mph) I get passed often by long haul trucks. So something up.

Like I stated earlier, there are individual O/O that are on with these larger carriers that still "put a wiggle in it" and can go faster. But the laundry list of major carriers have all their company trucks at 65 or less. Even the 300 truck carrier I primarily do business with. I am not castrated, but all their company trucks are.

Archived