New Burby

Seems to be just piston slap sounds, and occasional lifter sounds. I imagine it will soften a little bit Friday when I change the oil again. Maybe add a quart of Lucas or use a little heavier oil. Damn she runs strong though. I want to open her up on the road, but not with tranny fluid in the oil, and needing a tranny service. Speaking of which, I noticed that I don't have a drain plug for the transmission. Does anyone have an opinion about putting a cast aluminum pan with a drain plug on when I service the transmission?

I suggest doing a passive flush using the cooling lines that run to the trans cooler in the rad, or an external cooler in front of the rad if it has one. It's waaay less messy and waaay more effective at flushing old oil out than draining does. A passive flush also doesn't cause problems like what often happens when you use a tranny flush machine.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes a person feel better about life? Driving a Burban and working at a dealership that has not one but 2 GM stores. Ordered some all weather mats for the front, second row, and cargo area on my lunch break. Its been raining almost non stop this week and although my Wal-Mart cheapie floor mats look good, they don't quite fit the bill in wet muddy weather. No, I haven't serviced the transmission or changed the plugs and wires yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Gotta have priorities right?

gmfan24, sounds like things are going well so far. If you are interested in trying AMSOIL's engine flush. Send me in a PM your address and I can get a quote out to you on the cost delivered to your door. It would do a better job at cleaning out the inside of your engine than ATF.

As for oil filters, Car Quest Blue filter and NAPA filters are a good choice if you have any of those stores near you. They would work well for short term oil use.

Definitely some trash still circulating in the engine. Oil pressure was fine this morning, at lunch, I went to the Chevy store to order my floor mats and it was fine, went home to check the mail, it was fine, got back to work and it was showing 30ish at idle. Got off work and drove home, it was fine. Always starts at near 60psi when the engine sits for a bit. I'd say that points to trash getting pumped up to the screen under the oil pressure sensor. Good to see less occurrences of lower oil pressure.

Changed the oil and filter again this morning. About 150 miles since last time. Ran a bottle of motor flush through it. Oil was black, but not the consistency of crude oil this time. Filled her up with Mobile Super High Mileage and a PF48E again. Oil pressure still gets to 30ish when hot, much less noisy now. Caught some of the old oil in a clear plastic cup. Was transparent, but still black. No metal in it. Got a good look at the undercarriage today. Will post pics in a few. Cooking a sirloin steak on my Foreman Grill at the moment.

I suggest doing a passive flush using the cooling lines that run to the trans cooler in the rad, or an external cooler in front of the rad if it has one. It's waaay less messy and waaay more effective at flushing old oil out than draining does. A passive flush also doesn't cause problems like what often happens when you use a tranny flush machine.

What this guy said^

I've done a passive flush and it worked great for me.

Don't bother. It's actually just as bad to let your transmission always run cool. Normal operating range for these transmissions is 180-200°F. The factory cooler is enough.

Archived