Traction control

15 Z71

Flashing means that one or the other is actively working to control vehicle.

The indicator light for both systems is in the instrument cluster.

This light will:
. Flash when TCS is limiting wheel spin.
. Flash when StabiliTrak is activated.
. Turn on and stay on when either system is not working.

StabiliTrak will automatically turn on if the vehicle exceeds 56 km/h (35 mph).

Traction control will remain off.

38 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Turn off ABS? :lol:

Tyler

Yes, ABS in these trucks is a nightmare. I did a test just the other day in my company's icy yard, as soon as the abs starts pulsing you can push as hard as you want, it slowly stops you. If you back off at lockup and "pump"/feel for traction, you get a better bite on the frozen surface. I have never believed in TC/SC/ABS, but the young ones coming up have never driven vehicles without these "aids". You can turn TC/SC off, but it will still try to be somewhat active when spinning or "yawing", (yes they have yaw sensors now like aircraft). To completely disable these systems you need to pull fuses or wire in switches. Don't get me wrong, I like these systems on icy highways but that is the only time. In snow storms it is dangerous. Sometimes you need to use your throttle to help with understeer in certain deep snow situations and the system will put you in the ditch if you need throttle because it will just take away your power. I pulled a hunter out yesterday who slid off the road in a 2012 1500, I assume he had his TC on. Can't wait to see how autonomous vehicles are in snow. #maketrucksgreatagain

I'm only 35 and I learned how to drive without ABS on hand me down cars. I still think I can drive an old Dodge K Wagon in the snow better than most soccer moms in a suburban today.

1 hour ago, Northman said:

I believe the only way both Stabilitrac and traction control off is when the vehicle is in 4WD low. That's how my 2010 is anyway.

It is still true that both systems are off (and stay off) when in 4wd low.

2 hours ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

Yes, ABS in these trucks is a nightmare. I did a test just the other day in my company's icy yard, as soon as the abs starts pulsing you can push as hard as you want, it slowly stops you. If you back off at lockup and "pump"/feel for traction, you get a better bite on the frozen surface. I have never believed in TC/SC/ABS, but the young ones coming up have never driven vehicles without these "aids". You can turn TC/SC off, but it will still try to be somewhat active when spinning or "yawing", (yes they have yaw sensors now like aircraft). To completely disable these systems you need to pull fuses or wire in switches. Don't get me wrong, I like these systems on icy highways but that is the only time. In snow storms it is dangerous. Sometimes you need to use your throttle to help with understeer in certain deep snow situations and the system will put you in the ditch if you need throttle because it will just take away your power. I pulled a hunter out yesterday who slid off the road in a 2012 1500, I assume he had his TC on. Can't wait to see how autonomous vehicles are in snow. #maketrucksgreatagain

Stabilitrac is what is working to counteract "yaw". 

It turns itself back on when 35mph is reached --  but traction control will stay off.

1 hour ago, Logan Lanfear said:

On my 2008, to turn off traction control you pressed the button.  To turn off Stabilitrak, hold the button down until it flashes up on the speedo.  

Method hasn't changed.

Press and release will shut of TC -  and display a message saying so and turn on the "no TC' light

Then Press and hold, and Stabilitrac will shut off -- and display message saying so and turn of the "Stabilitrac off" light.

Method hasn't changed.

Press and release will shut of TC -  and display a message saying so and turn on the "no TC' light
Then Press and hold, and Stabilitrac will shut off -- and display message saying so and turn of the "Stabilitrac off" light.
Does it actually defeat everything though? I tried this, granted several winters ago, and even with both turned off wheelspin was still limited in my 2012...couldn't get through the pile at the end of the driveway.

I'm still not convinced there's not something else besides TC and Stabilitrac in the mix...

Steve
2012 2500hd

Archived