What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

Well so much for an easy fuel pump swap in that '05 Mustang ... :banghead:

Ordered a fuel pump and it got here today. Yanked the seat up, and got the old pump out. Figured this would be an easy half-hour job. NOPE! Not in the 21st century ...

So that side of the tank was full to the brim - gas peeing everywhere once I removed the pump. Smelled like varnish - totally stale, so I siphoned the rest out (was going to anyway to make sure tank was clean). Check out the tank after it's empty, and it's a MESS of rust. Screen stuck to the bottom of the tank. It's so bad I don't think I can clean it, so I start looking for another tank. Had no idea there was a SECOND fuel pump and sender on the right side! WTF - can't anyone build anything normal today?? So now this went from a $300 pump job for the neighbor, to probably close to a grand by the time I source a tank and secondary pump. Guess she's gonna be here a while ...

I'd have junked it and bought a real '65-'72 Mustang ... but to each his own.

Stuck the camera in the tank for this shot, straight down:

post-65085-0-02687400-1456955641_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jsdirt

I ordered a full MOOG front end today! Just over $500, and should all be here by Monday.

What does that consist of? Will you diy? That's my goal for the truck as well, but while I'm doing that I should also do the power steering.... the list could be infinite.

It was long overdue but I finally wired up the replacement for the melted left side license plate light socket. I had bought cheap phillips bulbs that were really yellow but a new neighbor who happens to have an aftermarket lighting business gave me 3 led bulbs, props to him!

The right side bulb was burnt out but now both sides light up perfectly for the first time in who knows how many years.

He then offered me a low and high beam HID setup (bulbs, ballasts, etc) for $99, although from my basic knowledge I'm hesitant to put that into the stock halogen housing. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I ordered a full MOOG front end today! Just over $500, and should all be here by Monday.

I'm looking at doing the same, only getting new uppers and lowers with fresh bushings and all ready to go. Cognito steering support kit and a steering stabilizer would bring it to around 10 bills.

I had to do Moog lowers at 38k, then the uppers at 50k, along with hub bearings. Rack ends & swaybar end links are still OEM. Could use new end links though.

Nice having ball joints I can put grease into. They'll probably outlast the rest of the truck. :lol:

I'm looking at doing the same, only getting new uppers and lowers with fresh bushings and all ready to go. Cognito steering support kit and a steering stabilizer would bring it to around 10 bills.

Cognito support kit was the best steering upgrade I had done to my 02

What does that consist of? Will you diy? That's my goal for the truck as well, but while I'm doing that I should also do the power steering.... the list could be infinite.

(2) Upper control arms (new bushings and ball joints)

(2) Lower Ball joints

(2) Inner Tie rod ends

(2) Outer Tie rod ends

(1) Pitman Arm

(1) Idler Arm

(1) Idler Arm Bracket Assembly.

Yeah, I'm doing it all myself. I almost pulled the trigger on the lower control arms, but I don't want to mess with the torsion bars.....those things scare me!

(2) Upper control arms (new bushings and ball joints)

(2) Lower Ball joints

(2) Inner Tie rod ends

(2) Outer Tie rod ends

(1) Pitman Arm

(1) Idler Arm

(1) Idler Arm Bracket Assembly.

Yeah, I'm doing it all myself. I almost pulled the trigger on the lower control arms, but I don't want to mess with the torsion bars.....those things scare me!

They ain't hard, just getting them back to stock height sucks lol

Does a rwd truck skip the pitman and idler arm parts?

If you don't have a steering gear then yes on the pitman arm, I'd imagine your truck doesn't have an idler arm either. You can always go to the moog website and they have everything you need

Anything with rack and pinion steering has no idler/pitman. For our trucks, that's '07 and up half tons.

Edited by Jsdirt