Today's project on my 10 year old truck was new tires. I cranked the torsion bars 3 full turns yesterday, it's still a little low in the front. Today I got a set of 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires put on and a full alignment. The truck looks a whole lot better now. But I think I may do keys and blocks in the spring.

20160113_111447.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

HELP!!!! I have a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 4 door trk and the door chime is to low. How do you turnip up? Dealer knows nothing nor his main mechanic for over 25 years knows nothing either. I have already contacted GMC. Come talk to Alicia can pushing the number 6 radio button while the ignition is on and the radio is off does not work anybody have any ideas

There have been a few threads where someone had a leak at the weep hole but would evaporate just as fast as it leaked out. Get an inspection mirror and get a good visual on the under side of the water pump. As old as our trucks are that is where I would start the search. I know I've got to get my thermostat replaced really soon. Who knows how old the coolant is and I know the thermostat isn't working correctly.

From where the coolant seems to be coming from it will either be the weep hole or the gasket. I'll be addressing it later rather than sooner, right now it's a small quantity and I'm just topping off once a month or so.

And from what I've been reading lately I think I'm going to go to a 60/40 mixture of water and coolant.

Today's project on my 10 year old truck was new tires. I cranked the torsion bars 3 full turns yesterday, it's still a little low in the front. Today I got a set of 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires put on and a full alignment. The truck looks a whole lot better now. But I think I may do keys and blocks in the spring.

20160113_111447.jpg

Just my opinion but I think it looks pretty darn good right where you have it. Looks great.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 99' with Graphite interior. Is there anywhere on the net where I can see an interior color comparison for the following colors?

Graphite
Gray
Oak
Pewter

As I am looking and replaces some of the worn out interior. Or where is a good place to get replacement interiors?

Yes I have but I can't seem to find anything that will so me a side by side comparison though. I have the Graphite and looks great for sure. I like the dark colors so it fits well. I am seeing lots of pics of what people are dark grey/gray but still would like a side by side of each. I also agree that the Graphite ages better too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thought that after 17 years I should chime in. My truck is in excellent condition as I Purchased new in March 1999. May get flamed for this, but I don’t drive it winters, and the chassis and body are completely rust free.

What year GMT-800 do you have? 1999 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 extended cab. Pewter with pewter interior bench seat.

What motor/trans? 5.3Liter / 4L60E

What have you had to fix?

• Only major was the transmission – I added a cooler and the hose clamp failed and lost fluid – enough to cause an issue with minor slippage and shifting, so I had the trans rebuilt by a trans shop with heavier duty internal clutches and parts.
  • Minor list is the usual stuff of a few window mechanisms
  • rear pinion seal and pinion flange
  • Shocks, replaced with Edlebrock at about 20k miles – lifetime warranty
  • Intake gaskets,
  • water pump gaskets,
  • Two sets of brakes,
  • Radio lights burnt out so replaced with POS Blaupunkt.
  • Caulking on the roof by the B pillar drivers side split – causing water leak down left front foot area
  • Painted the front bumper cap as it was peeling
  • fuel pump
  • Fuel sending unit
  • Two additional set of tires.
  • Do all maintenance and repairs myself (except for that transmission)

What do you still need to fix? The passenger side window Motor just crapped out…and the mirror switch needs cleaning/springing or a new one, and needs a full detailing for spring!

How many miles do you got on the clock? 173k miles.

I started jonesing for a new 2016 crew cab, but at nearly 50k out the door, I can’t see why I would “give” this truck away by selling it to someone else. We are going to tow a travel trailer again this summer and the wife is concerned about reliability. I tell her I can actually work on this truck, more so than a new one. Someday the new one will be in my hands, but I can do a lot with $800 a month in my pocket without a loan.

7-23-15%20GMC_zpshkksoeo8.jpg

• Like 3

Bought the truck in October with actual mileage of 20k. Flushed trans, new filter and synthetic fluid, and added a few upgrades: backup camera, Blue-Ox tow lugs (for flat towing behind an RV), replaced the center jump-seat with a full size center console, and installed a non-slip bedliner. Truck now has about 26k; looks and runs good.

Got a question for anyone here who may know:

I've often heard comment some owners make, re a 'tick' in the engine. Is that caused by a bad hydraulic lifter?

Have center jumpseat (gray leather) in like-new condition, available for sale.

So, how much did you pay for this truck? If you don't mind telling, and how did you ever find it?

So, how much did you pay for this truck? If you don't mind telling, and how did you ever find it?

jaslo, the guy I bought the truck from lives 4 houses down the street, and I go past his house every day. I didn't even know he had truck; all I ever saw him driving was his Suburban, or his wife''s Cadilac. I paid him what the dealer was going to give him in trade on a new Escalade; $9k. Probably too much, but it was always stored in the garage; battery disconnected unless he wanted to use it. Even the underside was as clean as any showroom vehicle. I've put about 10k miles on in the 18 months I've owned it, and it has been trouble-free.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone I have a 02 Sierra 1500 . I got 320k plus out of my 4.3 vortec. I put in a 1989 305 small block chevy into my 02 sierra its running great but the problem is that the transmission also has 320 miles on it. The 305 is at FULL potential... but the (computer controlled tranny SUCKS ) ... so i have a rebuilt turbo 300 thats going in ( not computer controlled) . My question is do i have to get a new speedometer ? Or do they make any kind of cable that can keep my old speedometer working like it is with the mechanical turbo 300 tranny ? This might be a shot in the dark but if anyone has any suggestions on were i could find any info would be great...

• 4 weeks later...

If it wasn't for the 4 speed tranny and wind noise limitations, these gmt800s would be perfectly fine for high speed cruising. I may or may not have gotten up past 90mph this morning and she was as stable as can be.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Congrats on keeping this long. So, giving you think you can get 9k out of your truck that translate into you needing 10-12k for the Dmax. Body repairs on yours (I have no clue what yours needs) but go high and say 3500. Knock sensors, just did those last weekend (2.5 hrs and 140 for AC Delco harness/sensors. Seat heat, sounds like you don't need it anyways lol like mine it can stay out. Dash cluster, guy in TX that does work for dealers will convert yours into the escalade platinum with trans temp and led bulbs for 200 I think.. Quality work. 4wd selector when it goes is simple soldering job. Steering wheel controls burnt out? Again simple soldering job. Basically, you know exactly what's wrong with YOUR truck.. Diesels are nice, I wanted one bad. My motor went out in my 04 crew slt 4x4... Lq9 swap and l love it. Can't wait for my 4l60 to dump so I can stall /build it or buy from finish line, etc.... A pro charger would be cheaper than a diesel and since you don't tow.... Just keep your boring truck and fix it. That's the true meaning of truck love.. Making and keeping them the way you desire them to be! Good luck

• Like 1