• 1 month later...

Just finished reading all 20 pages of this thread. I am trying to learn and not to be a pain in the arse to anyone. I have lots of questions since buying my 05 ext cab w/5.3L Z71 about a month ago. Only 119,750 miles.

Was hoping to find some info on a couple of things in this thread. Got hints but nothing in depth. If someone can point me to a post or thread discussing the following I'd be very appreciative.

1) Converting rear drum brakes to disc brakes. What year/model trucks will fit mine or do I have to go aftermarket.???

Or should I just replace all the drum brake parts as needed.?

2) OEM stereo has Bose speakers and still sounds like crap. I have a couple of very good amps and a subwoofer that I could use in this truck.

Does the factory head unit have RCA connectors to support the install of my amps or do I have to go with an aftermarket radio? Would like to use stock radio and just be able to bypass the internal amp by hooking up my amps.

3)The truck is tight and clean and runs great. But I think I need new shocks front and rear. Any recommendations on make/model of shocks for this 4x4.?? Just want it comfortable for riding on the bad roads in this part of the country. Not looking to do any serious off-roading at this time.

As time goes on I'm sure I'll have more questions but as I said I'm trying to find the answers on my own so as not to be asking repetitive questions on the forum.

Thanks for any and all help Y'all can provide me.

Rick

Edited by RivGuy

On 7/14/2019 at 6:18 PM, RivGuy said:

Just finished reading all 20 pages of this thread. I am trying to learn and not to be a pain in the arse to anyone. I have lots of questions since buying my 05 ext cab w/5.3L Z71 about a month ago. Only 119,750 miles.

Was hoping to find some info on a couple of things in this thread. Got hints but nothing in depth. If someone can point me to a post or thread discussing the following I'd be very appreciative.

1) Converting rear drum brakes to disc brakes. What year/model trucks will fit mine or do I have to go aftermarket.???

Or should I just replace all the drum brake parts as needed.?

2) OEM stereo has Bose speakers and still sounds like crap. I have a couple of very good amps and a subwoofer that I could use in this truck.

Does the factory head unit have RCA connectors to support the install of my amps or do I have to go with an aftermarket radio? Would like to use stock radio and just be able to bypass the internal amp by hooking up my amps.

3)The truck is tight and clean and runs great. But I think I need new shocks front and rear. Any recommendations on make/model of shocks for this 4x4.?? Just want it comfortable for riding on the bad roads in this part of the country. Not looking to do any serious off-roading at this time.

As time goes on I'm sure I'll have more questions but as I said I'm trying to find the answers on my own so as not to be asking repetitive questions on the forum.

Thanks for any and all help Y'all can provide me.

Rick

1. Converting rear to disc is doable, but the easiest way is to find a newer rear axle with discs and swap it in. But mostly not worth it. I got 144,000 miles out of my factory drum brake shoes.

2. The factory radio isn't great and doesn't allow for decent EQ or anything. I went with a Kenwood DDX series head unit; it has L/R output as well as sub connection,  Bluetooth, USB, aux, DVD, camera connections, etc. Went with an adapter harness from Crutchfield and it was plug and play. You will not regret ditching the factory radio.

3. I have Bilstein 5100s front and rear, approx 112,000 miles on them and I like them. Many have 4600's and really like them. There are a lot of good shocks out there. I would check alignment as well, that said, I have had it checked twice on my 2006 and it hasn't needed any adjustments, which is impressive.

On 7/19/2019 at 12:25 AM, davester said:

If you do want to swap in a rear axle with disc brakes, make sure it has the right gear ratio, and also that it's the right width, as they come in 3 different widths (DRW, SRW, and DRW cab&chassis).

The only rear ends worth considering swapping in would be half ton, so they will all be the same width. But do have to check the ratio, as well as change the brake proportioning valve if I remember right. Like I said, not worth it, drums work fine.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My 2006 5.3L Silverado has about 160k on it and I've noticed a slow, significant drop off in gas mileage over the past few years.  When it was brand new I got about 18-20 mpg, then for many years I was getting about 15-16, and just over the last two or three years it's more like 10-12.  Any thoughts on things to address?  I do regular oil changes, tire rotations, etc.  Other than a water pump replacement in 2019, no major engine work at all.  I did plugs/wires/belts/hoses at 105k.  Any suggestions?

• 5 weeks later...

Hey y’all, long time no see! My 03 Sierra has got 297,000 on the clock now. Rusty, banged up, definitely beater status!

Anyhow, I’m wanting to upgrade the original factory headlights. The adjuster are broken and froze up. 
Im thinking about buying thos “C” style LED headlight housings and retrofitting some bi-xenon mirimoto projectors and maybe some LED bulbs to boost the high beams(?). 
Im a newb when it comes to this headlight stuff. I’ve been trying to search and I haven’t came up with much. If anyone has done this or any retro fits I’d love some info or some links. Thanks!

My brother in law had three high mileage full sized GMs in this model range. He reluctantly trade in one with 280k miles for a new vehicle for his oldest daughter. She graduated from college. Her college vehicle a single cab with close to 200K miles he’s driving now. The other daughter is driving the ex family Tahoe with over 200K miles for college with another 2 years to go. Their current family Tahoe is closing on 90K miles. The first with cylinder deactivation. My Avalanche is currently close to 180K. All the vehicles could pass for much newer than their age.

1 hour ago, absinthminded said:

Hey y’all, long time no see! My 03 Sierra has got 297,000 on the clock now. Rusty, banged up, definitely beater status!

Anyhow, I’m wanting to upgrade the original factory headlights. The adjuster are broken and froze up. 
Im thinking about buying thos “C” style LED headlight housings and retrofitting some bi-xenon mirimoto projectors and maybe some LED bulbs to boost the high beams(?). 
Im a newb when it comes to this headlight stuff. I’ve been trying to search and I haven’t came up with much. If anyone has done this or any retro fits I’d love some info or some links. Thanks!

Don't do it. You will hate it and it will never work properly.

I used to have HID projectors with halos on my 99. Got it as a gift and it was the biggest heap of garbage ever. If you really need to swap headlights I would buy some full clear head lights and retro fit the projectors into them. The issue with the LED strip is that they don't really work properly with your DRLs or even your parking lights. It just sucks.

Currently I have clear head lights assemblies with full LED lights, I did not do the projector retrofit.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:35 PM, impala454 said:

My 2006 5.3L Silverado has about 160k on it and I've noticed a slow, significant drop off in gas mileage over the past few years.  When it was brand new I got about 18-20 mpg, then for many years I was getting about 15-16, and just over the last two or three years it's more like 10-12.  Any thoughts on things to address?  I do regular oil changes, tire rotations, etc.  Other than a water pump replacement in 2019, no major engine work at all.  I did plugs/wires/belts/hoses at 105k.  Any suggestions?

Not sure if this makes a difference but maybe switch out the O2 sensors.  Maybe it was a thing long ago, but some said it mpg declined and the mileage was over 100k changing out those would help. 

Probably done this but didn't mention..... air filter check.  Might check cats for any restriction.

Remember your drivetrain has 160 k on it. Transmission might not be quite as efficient as it was when it was younger