In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it so odd that a clean 00-02 still attracts me way more than any gmt900 ever could, and than the K2's currently do.   I see a well kept black 99-02 Silverado every 2 weeks that looks identica

Hey guys, thought that after 17 years I should chime in. My truck is in excellent condition as I Purchased new in March 1999. May get flamed for this, but I don’t drive it winters, and the chassis a

I have an 04 Silverado LT with 102k that I got in 06 and haven't had any problems with it. Just rebuilt the entire front end and did brakes last year. I want a new one but love not having a payment.

Posted Images

I have an 04 Silverado LT with 102k that I got in 06 and haven't had any problems with it. Just rebuilt the entire front end and did brakes last year. I want a new one but love not having a payment.

Me too, that and I really like the 800s.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree 100%! The only things I miss about my 04 was the auto dim mirrors, right mirror and led down when in reverse, and the rear window defrost. The seats are more comfortable, and I like that they are narrower too.

I am glad the gmt900 does not have factory fender flares, they were a salt magnet.

^^^^ That's the craziest post I've ever seen. The bumbers thing is kind of true, but it's not like any of the new trucks have good bumpers anymore. The fender flares are also a matter of opinion because I never liked the body colored flares, I only was ever interested in the black flares. I don't know about the next two (auto dimmer and rear defrost) because I've never had either in any of my trucks. However, the torsion front end is most definitely NOT better than coil over that the 900 series uses. The 900's ride better, are easier to modify, stronger, and have less problems. The 6 speed is a huge advancement and the new 5.3 has more power. I own a 99 Silverado and love my truck, but I've spent a lot of time in the 900 series trucks and they're heads and shoulders better than the 800's. They ride better, are stronger, drive better, pull better, control trailers better, haul better, have much better frames, have a better quality interior and better cab space. The only thing my truck has on the 900's is better off-road abilities because of it's approach angle.

Edited by WilliamBos
  • 1 month later...

Love the 800's, I've had my 2003 Sierra extra cab since new. Only 105K km's ( 65K miles ). Had a few issues at the beginning.

• Broken rear leaf spring
  • heater resistor
  • drive shaft seal replaced 3 times
  • steering shaft twice

Upgrades

• rear cover
  • 2015 Sierra 17" wheels

but over the last few years it's behaved.

Now I'm running into rust. Rear fender wells and rockers. The trucks in great shape mechanically it's too bad the body will rust away.

• 3 weeks later...

Love the 800's, I've had my 2003 Sierra extra cab since new. Only 105K km's ( 65K miles ). Had a few issues at the beginning.

• Broken rear leaf spring
  • heater resistor
  • drive shaft seal replaced 3 times
  • steering shaft twice

Upgrades

• rear cover
  • 2015 Sierra 17" wheels

but over the last few years it's behaved.

Now I'm running into rust. Rear fender wells and rockers. The trucks in great shape mechanically it's too bad the body will rust away.

it seems the rear fenders on the 800s are a really common place for rust, I've got zero rust anywhere on my 04 but little spots are appearing under the paint!

GasJobMafia, that's is how it started on the rear fender. I popped the little spot or bubble of paint off and was going to touch it up with paint. All the spots had small pin holes that would do it again once it was touched it up with paint after a month or so. To see what is going on behind the fender, pull the 3 grommets behind the fender lip. It should be clean, mine were packed with dirt. Also, remove the taillight and shine a light into the back of the fender. you'll see what's going on behind there.

The rear fenders on any vehicle are a common place for rust. The spots aren't under the paint, they are through the sheet metal.

You can access the inside of the fender pretty easily from in between the front of the rear panel and bed. Keeping the area inside clean will help but it's going to rust eventually no matter what you do.

GasJobMafia, that's is how it started on the rear fender. I popped the little spot or bubble of paint off and was going to touch it up with paint. All the spots had small pin holes that would do it again once it was touched it up with paint after a month or so. To see what is going on behind the fender, pull the 3 grommets behind the fender lip. It should be clean, mine were packed with dirt. Also, remove the taillight and shine a light into the back of the fender. you'll see what's going on behind there.

good idea on popping the tail light, i cleaned it out awhile ago behind the grommets and sprayed alittle rocker guard behind there but i couldn't quite get it all

• 5 weeks later...

I had 2 really clean 800's..... an 04 2500 light duty crew short 4x4 and an 03 1500HD up until about a year ago. Both relatively low mile ( 75000 and 105000), no rust, and loaded cloth trucks ( Bose/buckets/digital climate/steering wheel controls/DL3's etc). I sold both because quite frankly I didn't drive either of them nor needed them.... I have 6 trucks as it is lol.... didn't need 2 more. 2 friends bought them so I see them often anyway and they are looked after.

I still have my 05 1500 HD though and likely always will. It's a rotten mess...... needs front fenders, doors, box sides and who knows what else. Has 160000 miles on it but it was already rusting away when I got with 50000 miles 4.5 years ago. Always a western truck too so I dunno if it went in a sulphur plant or what before I got it. Even trucks unwashed don't usually rust this bad.... and it's weird rust too as its not the common spots rotting out. The paint just falls off of it and then of course the steel rots...... it's like the body is a sacrificial anode of some kind.

Thus far I have collected 3 rust free doors and the passenger front fender. Oddly they are all white too like the truck lol. Now I just need one more door, drivers fender and a bed. Finally after searching for ages found a nice set of tan cloth buckets with the arm rests! Truck had a 40/20/40 stock( digital climate and steering wheel controls though) and I converted to a console shortly after purchase but never had the right seats.... and I like the arm rest.

The frame scares me on it though lol...... I have been over the top anal at cleaning this heap attempting to stop corrosion but who knows..... time will tell when I pull the bed. I think it's actually okay but I check the tube crossmember closely.

I have sentimental attachment to the old beast.... it started the business with me I have now and was easily the best vehicle I have ever owned so I will get it back to how it should look!.

Edited by 1994Vmax
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Love my GMT-800 2004 Yukon XL Denali! I bought it almost two years ago with about 215k. It now has 242k. I've put some money into it but not a ton. Could use some seals and what not for some leaks but nothing major. Has some rust, but for eleven years old, everything in Michigan does. As long as it keeps going I can't see getting anything else. The new ones are nice but $80k is a little steep. I'll buy one in ten years that has 200k on it again as long as the new ones hold up as well.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like I have a coolant leak from what I believe may be the water pump. I noticed some drops coming off of the skid plate on Saturday but then they went away after a few drives. I'll check later today to see if it's come back.

Thoughts? Weep hole?

There have been a few threads where someone had a leak at the weep hole but would evaporate just as fast as it leaked out. Get an inspection mirror and get a good visual on the under side of the water pump. As old as our trucks are that is where I would start the search. I know I've got to get my thermostat replaced really soon. Who knows how old the coolant is and I know the thermostat isn't working correctly.

It looks like I have a coolant leak from what I believe may be the water pump. I noticed some drops coming off of the skid plate on Saturday but then they went away after a few drives. I'll check later today to see if it's come back.

Thoughts? Weep hole?

The gaskets where the pump mates to the block are relatively common to fail too and produce a slow leak. If the weep hole is dry that is the next area to scrutinize.

• 2 months later...