I find it so odd that a clean 00-02 still attracts me way more than any gmt900 ever could, and than the K2's currently do.

I see a well kept black 99-02 Silverado every 2 weeks that looks identical to mine but in black and its just so beautiful.

Ultimately I would love to have the $$$$ and time to restore an 02 with a 3.73 rear end and the 5.3, although adding a tuned 6.0 is really tempting. It would basically be OEM+ in that I would keep it as original as possible but improve on things like the suspension, engine and tranny tuning, etc. Although e-fans, 34" radiator, and 06+ front brakes would also be added.

/enddaydream

Edited by white1500
  • Like 4

I find it so odd that a clean 00-02 still attracts me way more than any gmt900 ever could, and than the K2's currently do.

I see a well kept black 99-02 Silverado every 2 weeks that looks identical to mine but in black and its just so beautiful.

Ultimately I would love to have the $$$$ and time to restore an 02 with a 3.73 rear end and the 5.3, although adding a tuned 6.0 is really tempting. It would basically be OEM+ in that I would keep it as original as possible but improve on things like the suspension, engine and tranny tuning, etc. Although e-fans, 34" radiator, and 06+ front brakes would also be added.

/enddaydream

The only thing I can say different is 00-07 (Classic). The 900s kind of grew on me, but nearly as much as any of the older 800s. I think they made the perfect set up in my opinion in my '06. Haven't seen one yet that I like better.

New here so thought I'd chime in a say hi.

So, what year GMT-800 do you have? 1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z-71 Stepside
What motor/trans? 5.3L Vortec/ 4L60E
What have you had to fix? Water pump.
What do you still need to fix? Drivers seat is splitting around the belt opening.

How many miles do you got on the clock? 99,300 as of this morning

This is the longest I've ever owned the same vehicle. I bought her in 2001 with 20k on the clock for 20k. Factory heated leather, recovery hooks, fogs, skid plate. Over the years I've done a few things...

Changed out the headlights to projector housings (with a proper cutoff) and HID.

Stainless step bars.

Borla cat back with dual stainless out the back.

Infinity Basslink sub under back seat, all speakers replaced with MB Quart, JVC head unit. Nothing extravagant, just very good quality sound was my goal.

Escalade cluster which looks much better and adds the trans temp. Also had that programmed to my original mileage.

Converted all the switch and cluster lighting to red.

Tint on front door windows to match stock rear tint.

In channel rain guards.

K&N filter.

Remote start.

Have always run synthetic blend oil in her.

About 75k did a major service which included the diff, trans case, transmission, full tune up with new OEM Delco wires and plugs. Also fully flushed the cooling system during that and separatly and carefully flushed the heater core both ways - wow a lot of crap builds up in that! The heat was doubled after that!

Reese towing hitch.

Semi stupid tail lights - the originals were getting rough and there are very few options for the stepsides and I hate the ricer looking crap.

Fold-a-Cover bed cover and BedRug liner.

2" Rough Country leveling kit and new shocks. Did not go crazy cranking the keys or anything.... I run 285's on the stock wheels.

Recently just overhauled the brakes. Rebuilt all 4 calipers, new rear rotors (the stupid shoe in hat ebrake had destroyed in inside of the hat), fully flushed the old fluid out, all new ceramic pads. Ebrake works great now! :)

I have a graphics business so I have wrapped it a couple of times over the years. Had matte black before matte black was cool - back then everyone just though it was primer.... lol. Now its 2 tone brushed metallic.

I have always strived to make sure any mods like electrical are done to OEM spec. No scotchlok crap, wires are loomed, etc.

Newest thing I'm about to have a go at (still collecting all the parts) is to convert it to 2005/2006 cooling and efans. Also doing it right using all oem components. So far I've aquired the stock additional relay block that mounts to the side of the underhood fuse box under the support braket as well as the wiring harness bits. Also have the dual fans. Still need to get the larger radiator and part of the project will also be upgrading the 105a alternator to the 145a one. The final step to this will be the PCM part, I need to get the software modified to enable the 2 pins for stock control of the fans. The problem on mine is the one pin currently triggers the AC recirculation door. So I'm trying to figure if there is a way I can still have that function in some way (maybe mod the switch on the AC controls to trigger a relay to turn the AC recirculation on/off of something or maybe convert it to a later PCM) if I change that output on the PCM to the cooling fan control. I like the idea of using all the stock components though since it all bolts right on and will eliminate the clutch fan.

Of course over the years run of the mill fixes like replacing the window motors, assorted bulbs, crappy fog lights that the lenses eventually fall out of, ac door repair, etc.. I'd love to convert the front to a 2003+ style with the round fogs but that is a pricey upgrade since you have to replace the bumper, bumper brackets have to be modified, lower skirt, grille, and corner lights. Lot of $$$ and work for fog lights.

post-133204-0-58513400-1417009629_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

New here so thought I'd chime in a say hi.

Same here! I've been a member here for a while but I normally just lurk and learn!

Your post prompted me to share my GMT800 journey.

I have a 2003 Extended Cab Short bed that I bought in 2004 with 24K miles on the clock. It now has 306K and climbing!

It has been my daily driver, day in and day out for 10 years. It has made all of the vacation trips as our kids were growing up and it did everything I ever asked it to do without failing me, every time!

I love that dang truck!

Alas, as you can imagine... She's getting a little long in the tooth. I've done 100% of the maintenance myself in my own garage with common tools.

I'll recap her long and storied history here:

First off, The biggest issue I ever had was some coolant that was leaking into the oil at about the 220K mile mark. It was originally a 4.8L, so rather than dealing with a potential castech head issue, or blown head gasket or trying to track down and repair the problem on an already high mileage engine, I bought a 5.3L from the local salvage yard. Out with the old and in with the new (to me!). Yes, I guess you could view this as a failure or weakness in the GMT800 platform... But I'm a glass half full kind of dude. There are so dang many of theses things out there that they are easy to find and they are VERY affordable.

AND they are all the same, so the swap was a piece of cake. If this one ever falters, I'll do the exact same thing again!

Other than that, its all been what I would expect to be regular "wear" items after 300K + miles of use...

Over the years I've replaced the following:

Fuel pump, water pump, brakes, rotors, shocks, alternator, power steering pump, front hubs/bearings, A/C compressor, knock sensors, cam position sensor, spark plugs/wires, battery, tires, fluids and filters...

She starts and runs and goes every time!

With that being said, I've had the itch to get an old truck to hot rod up a bit...

I've also had the itch to get one of them shiny new fangled trucks...

I also refuse to go into debt to have either of those...

So there in lies the dilemma... I've made the resolution this year to satisfy those two itches with my ole GMT800.

The way I see it, I can make a truck payment to myself and then buy the parts when the money is there.

So my 2015 GMT800 wish list is as follows.

Have the rear end re-geared.

Right now, it is an untouched open 3.42:1. I have a good local shop that will do the work on this one, its definitely out of my league. I have chosen a 4 clutch posi type unit and 4.11:1 ring and pinion. Will also replace axle bearings and seals at the same time. Probably replace u-joints as well.

Have the 4L60E rebuilt.

Same shop will do this work. Again, aside for fluid and filter changes, this is the original transmission. I'll likely be going with a Monster transmissions "Mega Monster in a box" rebuild kit.

Valve train upgrade

Comp Cams K54-424-11 kit that includes cam, lifters, valve springs, retainers, lock and seals. Add new pushrods and some adjustable rocker arms. Will also likely replace the timing chain and oil pump at this time. I'll also get a list of mods to BlackBear and have them do a custom tune. I would also LOVE to convert it to the larger radiator and e-fans.

Appearance upgrade

Some of the clear coat is starting to peal on the roof. So a repaint will be the last on the list. Still kicking around paint schemes and ideas. Probably wont decide what to do until the day before it gets painted. I already have the shackles to drop the rear 2". Just need to put them on. And of course new wheels and tires. Nothing outlandish... but something a little cooler than the 16" steelies that are on it.

Long story, short... I think it will make for an even more awesome-er truck. It will have all the get up and go I want and will (eventually) look good doing it.

I'd love to hear any input that y'all may have! Attached is a picture as she sits right now!

Truck-1.jpg

Edited by PJB1972

• 2 weeks later...

This thread gave me the motivation (as well as the 60+ degree temps outside today) to get off my arse and put my rear drop shackles in.

I used McGaughys 2" drop shackles (33037) that I bought back in November...

I've been having a random no start / no crank condition that was getting worse on cold mornings, so I got that sorted out (it turned out to be the starter).

I also changed the oil, So I'm enjoying a much deserved beer!

The sun went down before I got the chance to wash it, but the high tomorrow is supposed to be 61, so I'll get it then.

:thumbs:

The sun went down before I got the chance to wash it, but the high tomorrow is supposed to be 61, so I'll get it then.

:thumbs:

Got her cleaned up today, gotta LOVE this southern weather! I think the 2" rear drop is just about right!

Sorry for the crummy cell phone pic...

image.jpg

Edited by PJB1972

• 2 weeks later...